Bigger than a Kel-Tec P11, but smaller than a CZ PCR?

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
macktruckturner
Posts in topic: 5

Bigger than a Kel-Tec P11, but smaller than a CZ PCR?

Post by macktruckturner »

I just got a message from my little brother (ignore the fact he's bigger than me now), saying he wants a handgun too now. I've got a Kel-Tec P11 and a pair of 1911s, my Dad has a CZ PCR. Little brother wants something smaller than Dad's gun, but bigger than my P11. Now I went against everything I hold dear to myself and said 'what about a Glock' - his response was "gross, no Glocks", which made me proud - but I don't really know what else falls between the PCR and the P11 as far as size goes. I'm not a fan of the chopped down 1911s, but maybe he will be?

Anyone have suggestions for pistols that fall in between the P11 and the PCR in physical size?

Thanks,
Anthony
I am the Infantry, FOLLOW ME!

Blog, photo site, Flickr page

TxCHL holder, NRA Member (EPL program), Combat Veteran (3/3ID, OIF3/OIF5), Constitutionalist

WarHawk-AVG

Re: Bigger than a Kel-Tec P11, but smaller than a CZ PCR?

Post by WarHawk-AVG »

A sheepdog says "I will lead the way. I will set the highest standards. ...Your mission is to man the ramparts in this dark and desperate hour with honor and courage." - Lt. Col. Grossman
‘All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing’ - Edmond Burke

Topic author
macktruckturner

Now he's hit me with no polymer, which I guess is up to him. He doesn't like the chopped 1911s either. He did mention the CZ RAMI though. I think what'll end up happening, is he'll ignore me, and do what he wants - just going off the last 21 years of experience having him as a little brother :biggrinjester:

TxCHL holder, NRA Member (EPL program), Combat Veteran (3/3ID, OIF3/OIF5), Constitutionalist

WarHawk-AVG

Post by WarHawk-AVG »

Wow!

Man talk about trying to find a needle in a haystack

SIG SAUER P239
http://www.sigsauer.com/Products/ShowCa ... oductid=71

HECKLER & KOCH USP COMPACT

Taurus 940

Ruger SR9 <- a wee bit large compared to CZ PCR

Smith and Wesson steel frame series

Let me guess..he doesn't want one in all black? "rlol"

Just remind him that conceal carry thin = W1N!!

I can conceal a full size 1991A1 with a IWB holster with a loose fitting shirt...people just DON'T notice

Why no polymer??!?!??!?

Tell him if he gets too picky you will get him a brick that shoots bullets
http://www.hi-pointfirearms.com/handgun ... 45acp.html
A sheepdog says "I will lead the way. I will set the highest standards. ...Your mission is to man the ramparts in this dark and desperate hour with honor and courage." - Lt. Col. Grossman
‘All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing’ - Edmond Burke

Topic author
macktruckturner

I wish I knew why he was excluding polymer, but I don't. He said he just doesn't like it, and OK fine by me. I'm essentially the anti-Glock, they burst into pieces anytime I get near them - so maybe that's why he doesn't like polymer. It could be genetic. When he said smaller, physically than the CZ but larger than the KT, it didn't make any sense to me. Even less when he linked a Ruger model that was longer, taller, and wider. Assuming I can convince him to wait until I get back in five weeks or so, I'll take him to get several different models in his hand - since that's really the only way he's going to get a feel for what fits him right.

If he's just looking for something to shoot, I'll let him hold on to the Commander for a while - he can't hurt it, and I'm not using it for anything.

Out of the list you provided, I'd go with the Sig if it were me buying the gun - but who knows what he ends up deciding. Thanks for the help though, my IP over Camel isn't very good for research.

Liberty
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Liberty »

macktruckturner wrote:I wish I knew why he was excluding polymer, but I don't. He said he just doesn't like it, and OK fine by me. I'm essentially the anti-Glock, they burst into pieces anytime I get near them - so maybe that's why he doesn't like polymer.
While I'm not particularly a Glock fan, I find myself wondering what you mean by the highlighted. I was under the impression that Glocks were very reliable.
Liberty''s Blog
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." John F. Kennedy

Topic author
macktruckturner

It was rather literal unfortunately, and I'm apparently the only person on Earth this has ever happened to. Of the six I've fired, three have returned to Glock for warranty repair. The other three almost made it through a full magazine before requiring the use of tools to clear the malfunction. None had ever been a problem for their owners. I just steer clear now, to avoid breaking anyone else's stuff. I can't explain it, so I don't try.

CompVest

Post by CompVest »

What about Kahrs?
Women on the DRAW – drill, revise, attain, win
Coached Practice Sessions for Women

tboesche

Post by tboesche »

:iagree: I love mine
"Water's, wet, The sky is blue. And old Satan Claws, He's out there, and he's just getting stronger." Joe Halenbeck
"So what do we do about it?" Jimmie Dix
"Be prepared, Junior, That's my motto, Be Prepared". Joe Halenbeck

HighVelocity

Post by HighVelocity »

Kahr MK9 or MK40
I am scared of empty guns and keep mine loaded at all times. The family knows the guns are loaded and treats them with respect. Loaded guns cause few accidents; empty guns kill people every year. -Elmer Keith. 1961

htxred

Post by htxred »

springfield armory EMP

I went from SA XD to glock to 1911 back to glock back to 1911.. i love glocks, out the box they arent my cup of tea but after a nice trigger job, non-glockers can creat nice groups.

but nothing beats the good ol 1911 :coolgleamA:

Keith B

Post by Keith B »

htxred wrote:springfield armory EMP

I went from SA XD to glock to 1911 back to glock back to 1911.. i love glocks, out the box they arent my cup of tea but after a nice trigger job, non-glockers can creat nice groups.

+1 on the EMP if he doesn't want polymer. Or as Compvest mentioned, a Kahr with a steel frame.
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

Topic author
macktruckturner

Thanks for all the responses folks, I'll pass them along to my brother. I told him to join too, but he doesn't spend a lot of time at forums.

WarHawk-AVG

Post by WarHawk-AVG »

Keith B wrote:
htxred wrote:springfield armory EMP

+1 on the EMP if he doesn't want polymer. Or as Compvest mentioned, a Kahr with a steel frame.
oops..I forgot about Kahr...they are some decent pistols as well

mr surveyor

Post by mr surveyor »

the Sig P239/40 is a fine weapon as well. Tough as a piece of railroad iron, reliable and accurate shooter. They are a bit wider than 1911's, but, with the smaller single stack grip, still carry very well IWB ir OWB. I'm really learning to like mine that I bought Jan. 1 of this year.
It's not gun control that we need, it's soul control!

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”