Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
flintknapper
Banned
Posts in topic: 8

Weak hand practice?

Post by flintknapper »

How many here devote any time/rounds to weak hand shooting. What percent of rounds fired in a practice session would be reasonable (10 %)?

What about drawing with the weak hand? Can you even access your weapon if your strong side arm/hand were incapacitated?

Just curious how many have given it any thought, and worked out any solutions.

Scenario: Parking lot of _______SuperStore, 9:00 p.m., you are forced to park at the "fringes" of the lot. As you return to your vehicle, you are met by two young thugs. You are between your vehicle and the one parked next to you. One of the thugs has managed to flank you, the other is in front of you demanding your wallet. Before you can utter a word, the one behind you produces a baseball bat and swings at your head.

Instinctively, you put up your strong side arm to ward off the blow. The force of the strike has severely broken your arm just above the wrist. The perps are now mouthing "if you don't want more of the same....give us your wallet and keys".

Now...., I'm not looking for all of the things you "should" have done to avoid finding yourself in this situation to begin with. What I am concerned with now is: Can you get to your weapon?

If you can draw your weapon (from wherever you normally carry it), can you operate any/all of the safety features, and fire it with reasonable accuracy?

Food for thought.

gigag04
Posts in topic: 2

Post by gigag04 »

There is a great video of a 2 on 1 defense scene - its in a movie. We analyzed the clip on here about a year ago. ANy remember?
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

KBCraig
Banned
Posts in topic: 3

Post by KBCraig »

gigag04 wrote:There is a great video of a 2 on 1 defense scene - its in a movie. We analyzed the clip on here about a year ago. ANy remember?
Tom Cruise in "Collateral".

Kevin

gigag04

Post by gigag04 »

yup that was it. But his strong hand was used in the clip i believe.
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

KBCraig
Banned

Re: Weak hand practice?

Post by KBCraig »

flintknapper wrote:How many here devote any time/rounds to weak hand shooting. What percent of rounds fired in a practice session would be reasonable (10 %)?
It's one of the things I always need to work on. Our qualification course at my agency includes enough "weak hand only, unsupported" to really blow your score.

I believe that as I've aged, I've become more strongly right eye dominant. When I was younger, I could switch eyes and hands easily.

What about drawing with the weak hand? Can you even access your weapon if your strong side arm/hand were incapacitated?
This is something I've really been thinking about lately. If I was wearing my Don Hume JIT slide, I could draw my pistol with my left hand, if I could wiggle around to reach it. But with my Fobus? No way that I could overcome the passive retention.

My solution, yet to be implemented, is going to be a BUG either in my left hip pocket, or IWB at 7:30.

Good post, good food for thought.

Kevin

AggieMM
Posts in topic: 1

Post by AggieMM »

KBCraig wrote:Tom Cruise in "Collateral".
My most favorite scene in that movie, "Yo Homie, that my breifcase".... :)

http://www.woodfam.com/forums/collateral.mpg

[Note: Watch volume, and one F bomb from Jamie Fox.]

Ryan

Topic author
flintknapper
Banned

Re: Weak hand practice?

Post by flintknapper »

(quote) This is something I've really been thinking about lately. If I was wearing my Don Hume JIT slide, I could draw my pistol with my left hand, if I could wiggle around to reach it. But with my Fobus? No way that I could overcome the passive retention.

Kevin[/quote]

I think many people would be surprised to find that they can not remove their weapon at all. It depends on how you carry it, your build, injuries, or other physical limitations.

If worn on your strong side, (IWB or Belt) it can be darned difficult to get to... (especially quickly). LEO's with "retention" holsters better have a "bug".

It might be something for everyone to try out (empty gun of course).

If you wear a cross draw holster, or a shoulder holster, it should not be a problem. If you're flexible...even a strong side rig may not present any problem.

It's worth looking into IMHO.

txinvestigator

Post by txinvestigator »

I love these threads. I practice weak hand draws, shooting, and reloading.

2 years ago I learned a technique I really like.

I wear my handgun at 3 o'clock. I can reach across with my left hand and grab my weapon and draw it, but it it is backwards in my hand. It is pointing down, of course. I then arch the weapon across my body until my left hand is straight in front me, with the grip facing out, like I am handing the gun to someone.

The top of the slide is towards my body. (I'll try to make some pics later) The barrel is pointed towards the floor. I then place the frame of the weapon between my knees and hold it there with my legs while I reverse my grip. I can then come up and fire.

This is a completely safe techinque, as the gun points at the ground until I change my grip and come up to fire.

I practice the scenario given, and my response is to block with the off hand. But that is outside of the parameters given.
*CHL Instructor*

"Speed is Fine, but accuracy is final"- Bill Jordan

Remember those who died, remember those who killed them.

ea40ss

Post by ea40ss »

I will usually do some weak hand only practice, although not as much as I probably should. I think your number is about right 10% or so. I shoot on average about 100 - 150 rounds per practice session but here lately I haven't been to practice in about a month.

I also practice some strong hand only, Moving left to right and right to left, forward and backwards. Something that I really haven't practiced is moving weak hand only. Don't know why, just haven't. I will start.

I can manage to unholster from strong side carry with my weak hand, but it requires some grip manipulation. My usuall carry was a Don Hume JIT. I recently got a Sparks VM-II. Pants....too....tight. Guess I gained a few more pounds than I thought from Thanksgiving to New Year. So I will practice drawing with weak hand from the VM-II.

It would be interesting in your scenario when the bg's backed off, thinking that you had given in and were reaching for your wallet but came out instead with the Sig, or whatever you carry, in weak hand. :shock: :o :lol:

Great Question!

Eric

Topic author
flintknapper
Banned

Post by flintknapper »

txinvestigator wrote:I love these threads. I practice weak hand draws, shooting, and reloading.

2 years ago I learned a technique I really like.

I wear my handgun at 3 o'clock. I can reach across with my left hand and grab my weapon and draw it, but it it is backwards in my hand. It is pointing down, of course. I then arch the weapon across my body until my left hand is straight in front me, with the grip facing out, like I am handing the gun to someone.

The top of the slide is toward my body. (I'll try to make some pics later) The barrel is pointed towards the floor. I then place the frame of the weapon between my knees and hold it there with my legs while I reverse my grip. I can then come up and fire.

This is a completely safe technique, as the gun points at the ground until I change my grip and come up to fire.

I practice the scenario given, and my response is to block with the off hand. But that is outside of the parameters given.

Now we're talking! You have actually looked at ways to access your weapon. Good for you!

Several variants (quicker) of what you describe, are to reach across, grasp gun (butt of gun/magazine is parallel with your thumb) or "drawn out backwards". Place top of slide in crook of strong side elbow, or on strong side thigh, and "roll" the pistol over to achieve proper grip. With just a little practice it can be done quite deftly. Can also be rolled across the chest, but the chances of dropping the weapon increase.

Pictures of this technique is what I need, its difficult to explain, but child's play to demonstrate.

Warning: When reaching across the front of your body, If you keep your arm low and reach across at the level of your waist you will "bind up" in the shoulder.

Instead: Begin your reach with your hand at chest level, go as far horizontally as you can, then reach downward for it. It will add about 6 inches of "reach" to the average person. You can further "present" the holstered weapon by bending your knees slightly and rotating your hip toward the weak hand.

There are a "zillion" weak hand techniques for reloading, releasing the slide, clearing jams, getting sight alignment, etc.......but none of those matter if you can't get the gun into action to begin with.

Who else has tried?
Last edited by flintknapper on Sat Jan 21, 2006 1:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Topic author
flintknapper
Banned

Post by flintknapper »

ea40ss wrote: My usuall carry was a Don Hume JIT. I recently got a Sparks VM-II. Pants....too....tight. Guess I gained a few more pounds than I thought from Thanksgiving to New Year. So I will practice drawing with weak hand from the VM-II.
Great Question!

Eric

You understand, that I am not suggesting that anyone change their holster, or where they carry. I recognize that the chance of having to draw "weak hand" is small.

Just something to ponder, and perhaps practice.

RPBrown

Post by RPBrown »

Great post!!
I carry at 4:30 with a Don Hume. Just tried to unholster. Tough to do with a large frame(weapon and body). However, I do carry a BUG in left back pocket.

Me thinks me needs to practice this.
NRA-Benefactor Life member
TSRA-Life member

longtooth

Post by longtooth »

Good job flintknapper. I do practice shooting weakhand quit a bit. After draw, out to 15 yds am still about even up on accurace & speed until reload time. 25 yds am slower reacquiring target & lose noticable accuracy. All my weakhand practice is also one hand. If I have strong to brace with I have it to shoot with. Speed of reload is much slower since accessing fresh mags is also across body. my weak hand draw is reaching behind my back. Comes out a little tighter but very doable w/ Don Hume IWB. Reality: I think if Joe Citizen - me must use weak hand draw I problbly need to be under cover & have time because if I were being held where I could not get to it strong hand I may be bound up to where I could not do it weak hand either. At that point my best weapon would be pepper from weak side hand & directly in the eye & ear. That should get some kind of response for sure. :evil2: These need to be practiced much mentally, some dry runs at the house & at least some on the range occasionally. The range time and accuracy (or lack there of) will disappoint you if you have only done it at the house. :oops:
Carry 24-7 or guess right.
CHL Instructor. http://www.pdtraining.us" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
NRA/TSRA Life Member - TFC Member #11

Topic author
flintknapper
Banned

Post by flintknapper »

longtooth wrote:Good job flintknapper. I do practice shooting weakhand quit a bit. After draw, out to 15 yds am still about even up on accurace & speed until reload time. 25 yds am slower reacquiring target & lose noticable accuracy. All my weakhand practice is also one hand. If I have strong to brace with I have it to shoot with. Speed of reload is much slower since accessing fresh mags is also across body. my weak hand draw is reaching behind my back. Comes out a little tighter but very doable w/ Don Hume IWB. Reality: I think if Joe Citizen - me must use weak hand draw I problbly need to be under cover & have time because if I were being held where I could not get to it strong hand I may be bound up to where I could not do it weak hand either. At that point my best weapon would be pepper from weak side hand & directly in the eye & ear. That should get some kind of response for sure. :evil2: These need to be practiced much mentally, some dry runs at the house & at least some on the range occasionally. The range time and accuracy (or lack there of) will disappoint you if you have only done it at the house. :oops:

Well thought out. You get an A!

ea40ss

Post by ea40ss »

You understand, that I am not suggesting that anyone change their holster, or where they carry. I recognize that the chance of having to draw "weak hand" is small.
:???:

Me neither

I understand your disclaimer but why is it based on my post. I didn't suggest that. If I came across that way It was purely unintentional.

Maybe I should re-state. I had an OWB. In late december I ordedred an IWB for more concealability. It arrived in January. I could draw weak hand with the OWB. I have not tried it with IWB because I just hadn't thought about doing it. But now that I have read your post, I will.

Thanks
Eric

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”