Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
Piney
Posts in topic: 2

Electronic Muff Question

Post by Piney »

Greetings--

Robin has a set of electronic muffs. She got these so she could hear range comands and conversations easier than with regular muffs which cancel too much sound for her.

What she's found is that it almost makes it worse trying to hear conversations and range commands. The muffs shut off with nearby fire at other stages (that's not considered close nor loud). They also shut off with "quiet" sounds such as racking a slide. When they shut off, conversations and commands are missed. All the control knob seems to do is to raise the amplification-- not the sensivity.

Is this common to all electronic muff or just this model ?

Thanks
R&R

JLinTX
Posts in topic: 1

Muffs...

Post by JLinTX »

That is not how they are deisgned to work. My set doesnt work that way. If you need the model or brand let me know.

Jim

stevie_d_64

Post by stevie_d_64 »

I've never really been a big fan of those electronic muffling ear protection devices...

Namely because of the deficiencies you just enumerated...

I guess I have been satisfied with the cheapo Silencio model ear muffs that you can get on Cheaper than Dirt for about $10 a pop...

I think it has to do with how well you get used to the muffed voice commands, and how you can train yourself to consentrate on certain things and not let sudden discharges of gunfire near or even far away from you distract you from what you are trying to do at that time...

I believe most instructors initiate and call for cease fires via whistle commands during the CHL range quals...That to me is a pretty good system if that is the norm...

If I had a pair of the electronic type of ear protectors...I'd probably experiment with them on only the two extreme settings...The highest gain setting, and the lowest gain setting...That way you'll know with experience with that particular set what is, and is not, going to be a problem with those two settings...All the increments in between, are gray areas in the spectrum, that may be effected the most, and the cause of some of those drop outs of range commands that you have stated, that you may not want to miss...

I am of the opinion, that hearing, is just as important to protect as your eyes...

And I used to have a crazy idea that it might be a good idea (in the extreme short term) to learn what to expect without ear protection...In real life situations, you may have wanted to feel what it was like to "not" have ear protection, just to know what it was like...

I have since changed 180 degrees from that philosophy, though training and real life (military) experiences, and figured it best to jump that hurdle, for only real life encounters...

Most of us stuffed cotton, or other ear protective systems in at least "one" ear (for what that might have been worth) while we conducted those exercises...

But if anything, what needs to be discussed is that ear (hearing) damage is cumulative, and gets worse with every offense you place your hearing through...And is not-recoverable, so I have been told by medical personnel...

So by all means find out what works best for you, and whatever you do implement in your hearing protection program...Make sure its as automatic as a heartbeat...It is a preventable problem throughout your shooting career...
"Perseverance and Preparedness triumph over Procrastination and Paranoia every time.” -- Steve
NRA - Life Member
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"
Μολών λαβέ!

jbirds1210

Post by jbirds1210 »

I have a pair of Remington electronic muffs that I have used for the past year or so, they are neither high or low end......I keep the speakers turned OFF! While the gunshots are muffled by the device, the wind is exploited to the point that I am not able to hear anything at all. I received the muffs as a gift, but I would never recommend them to anyone.
NRA Life Member
TSRA Life Member

"No man stands so tall as when he stoops to help a child."

wrt45

Post by wrt45 »

I have a couple of pairs that I use religiously. The only problem I have had is wind related......at my outdoor range, if the wind is blowing( and it is almost always blowing out here) they will occasionally shut off. Otherwise, I couldn't be more pleased.

Part of my like for them is that I am almost deaf on the left side, but I can adjust the left pick-up to a higher setting and I actually hear better and have more directional awareness than I do without anything on.

At the indoor range where I shoot regularly I have noticed that its us older guys who have the electronic ones and the younger guys who use the plugs and such..........

gigag04

Post by gigag04 »

wrt45 wrote: At the indoor range where I shoot regularly I have noticed that its us older guys who have the electronic ones and the younger guys who use the plugs and such..........
This may be a financial issue as well....I'm "younger" and $70 ear pro is not in the works for my budget right now.

-nick
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

Paladin

Post by Paladin »

I usually double up on hearing protection, so electronic is about the only way to go for me.

I've got regular earmuffs too, but with those and earplugs on... the only way to hear somebody is to take the earmuffs off.

The electronic muffs aren't perfect, but I've never had trouble hearing range commands with 'em. regular conversations yes, but not range commands.

Personnally I like the remington R2000's as they work well with my rifle, but I know there are better electronic earmuffs on the market.
Last edited by Paladin on Mon Feb 06, 2006 6:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JOIN NRA TODAY!, NRA Benefactor Life, TSRA Defender Life, Gun Owners of America Life, SAF, FPC, VCDL Member
LTC/SSC Instructor, NRA Certified Instructor, CRSO
The last hope of human liberty in this world rests on us. -Thomas Jefferson

tomc

Re: Electronic Muff Question

Post by tomc »

Piney wrote:What she's found is that it almost makes it worse trying to hear conversations and range commands. The muffs shut off with nearby fire at other stages (that's not considered close nor loud). They also shut off with "quiet" sounds such as racking a slide. When they shut off, conversations and commands are missed. All the control knob seems to do is to raise the amplification-- not the sensivity.

Is this common to all electronic muff or just this model ?
The problem with electronic noise cancelling ear muffs is that while you can adjust the volume for non-blocked sounds, I have seen none where you can adjust the threshold for blocking. All brands I have tried will block hand clapping, slide drops, paint can rattling, etc., but they help with normal conversation, especially when wearing earplugs also, which I do.

By the way,
gigag04 wrote:This may be a financial issue as well....I'm "younger" and $70 ear pro is not in the works for my budget right now.
I currently use a pair of electronic noise cancelling ear muffs that I got from Harbor Freight on sale for $12 (normally $19). I can't tell the difference between them and any higher priced brands.
be safe,
be prepared,
tomc

Baytown

Post by Baytown »

I have a pair of Dillon electronic earmuffs that I like a lot.

Glenn
Winners never quit, and quitters never win; but, if you never win, and never quit, you're a moron.

Topic author
Piney
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Piney »

Thanks for all the replys !!

George-- How does one determine the "proper" type ? Somthing listed on the box ?

==R&R==

ElGato

Post by ElGato »

I have one pair made by Gulf Coast Hearing that are hearing aids for shooters, they are inside the ear, I also have a set of Peltor's and both are very good.

Tomcat
http://www.tomestepshooting.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I'm better at retirement than anything I have ever tried. Me
Young People pratice to get better, Old folk's pratice to keep from getting WORSE. Me

KBCraig
Banned

Re: Electronic Muff Question

Post by KBCraig »

tomc wrote:I currently use a pair of electronic noise cancelling ear muffs that I got from Harbor Freight on sale for $12 (normally $19). I can't tell the difference between them and any higher priced brands.
I've got a couple of pair of those. The difference between Hobo Freight and the higher end brands is that when you pay more, you usually get stereo. The HF are monaural, which can be disconcerting.

One of my cruffler buddies (crufflers tend to be a tinkering lot by nature) took apart two pairs of HF electronic muffs, and reassembled them to have one pair of stereo muffs. He said it works great, but fine-tuning the sensitivity so both sides cut out at the same level can be a problem.

Kevin

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”