Gun Safety Rules

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

stingeragent
Banned
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Gun Safety Rules

Post by stingeragent »

Didn't read all 9 pages of the thread but great advice. I personally when making sure any gun is not loaded is putting my finger in the barrel to make sure a round is not loaded. (when I say in the barrel I mean the end where the round goes in)

HKsig
Posts in topic: 2

Post by HKsig »

That would be the chamber. :thumbs2:

Take Down Sicko

Post by Take Down Sicko »

I have a question on gun safety. In Houston Tx the summers are brutal. Extremely hot and humid. When i get inside my car after its been parked in the sun for an hour or more i can't even touch the steering wheel without getting burned. So, being a new carrier i was wondering how safe it is when i leave my car parked all day in the hot sun with my weapon in my small gun vault with magazine loaded. Will it make bullets more sensitive and cause a self discharge from the heat? :patriot:

Pawpaw

Post by Pawpaw »

Take Down Sicko wrote:I have a question on gun safety. In Houston Tx the summers are brutal. Extremely hot and humid. When i get inside my car after its been parked in the sun for an hour or more i can't even touch the steering wheel without getting burned. So, being a new carrier i was wondering how safe it is when i leave my car parked all day in the hot sun with my weapon in my small gun vault with magazine loaded. Will it make bullets more sensitive and cause a self discharge from the heat? :patriot:
That can be extremely dangerous! Once the ammo reaches about 400°F, they will explode!!!

Seriously, it's not a problem. ;-)
Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence. - John Adams

Mrfriendly93

Post by Mrfriendly93 »

Make sure if your holster is made of kydex it doesn't get left in the car as well. I also live in Houston, and after coming back to my car a few hours later my weapon was still cool to the touch(surprisingly), so I feel safe in saying you'll be good.

MaduroBU

Post by MaduroBU »

I think of those rules as foundational. They are excellent when handling a firearm. Situations in which you are discharging firearms make their safe handling more complicated.

I would offer that once those foundational rules have been communicated, a few more keep new shooters out of trouble on firearm ranges.
1.) Do not venture past the firing line for any reason whatsoever while the firing line is hot.
2.) The firing line is hot unless cleared and acknowledged by all shooters and bystanders.
3.) The firing line is hot unless you are certain that it is cold; if anyone on your range is touching a weapon, the firing line is not cold.
4.) While the line is cold, all weapons must be unloaded, open, and untouched until everyone is again behind the firing line and it has been declared hot. Detachable magazines don't count for this prohibition as long as the guns themselves remain untouched (e.g. some shooters load mags a ceasefire if their targets are still in good order), but for busy ranges or ranges where some shooters are new or unfamiliar with one another, I would lean towards "nobody touches anything."

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”