Gun Safety Rules

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

joe817
Posts in topic: 4

Re: Gun Safety Rules

Post by joe817 »

USA1 wrote:
jbenat wrote: I told the girls that young guys loved the smell of gun oil but they didn't buy it.
:smilelol5: thats a good one .
i don't know bout the young fellers , but i sure enjoy it :oops:
Tell 'em, if they want to attract boys, dab a little of Hoppe's #9 behind their ears. :smilelol5: :lol:
Diplomacy is the Art of Letting Someone Have Your Way
TSRA
Colt Gov't Model .380

dicion
Posts in topic: 2

Post by dicion »

USA1 wrote:
jbenat wrote: I told the girls that young guys loved the smell of gun oil but they didn't buy it.
I concur... well, everything except CLP... that stuff doesn't smell good at all..

maybe it'll grow on me someday, but not today.

Hoppes smells almost good enough to drink.... but, don't.

Kevinf2349

Post by Kevinf2349 »

I keep on telling the ladies at work that high priced perfume doesn't do it for men, gunpower & two stroke oil is what they need. "rlol"
Glock - When a FTF just isn't an option!

04/24/09 - CHL Class
08/17/09 - Plastic in hand!

NRA & TSRA Member

Free men do not ask permission to bear arms.

"Society doesn't have a gun problem; Society has a society problem"

Topic author
jbenat
Posts in topic: 8

Post by jbenat »

joe817 wrote:
USA1 wrote:
Tell 'em, if they want to attract boys, dab a little of Hoppe's #9 behind their ears. :smilelol5: :lol:
I gotta admit that Hoppe's is some good smelling stuff but I was recomending my favorite gun oil, Weapon Shield, which actually smells kinda cinnamony. :drool:
NRA
TSRA
Texas CHL Holder
Member VRWC (Vast Right Wing Conspiracy)

USA OUT OF THE UN - LET THEM APPLAUDE THAT!
Liberal Motto; "We've got what it takes to take what you've got"

donh
Posts in topic: 1

Post by donh »

Listen to this Alpine Range People:
The Alpine Range (Fort Worth, TX) has had problems in the past. I have had problems where people feel that they are above the rules, that they can stay at the shooting rail, that they can continue to load their magazines while people are downrange, and if you tell them to get back behind the yellow line, they just grin at you -- I can't change people myself, but if you value your life, you had better learn to speak up and speak out to put these people down!!. Sorry, but I get tired of this, and I don't want to hear of people getting shot because ... yadayadayada....

marksiwel
Banned

Post by marksiwel »

donh wrote:Listen to this Alpine Range People:they just grin at you -- .
Hard to grin without any teeth now aint it
In Capitalism, Man exploits Man. In Communism, it's just the reverse

lonewolf

Post by lonewolf »

People that think they are above the rules become a danger to themselves and others all the time. Take whatever appropriate action is necessary to protect yourself and other innocents.

Can't stand those people. It starts with breaking little rules and getting away with it. Its aggravated by the fact that the most some get is a hand slap or a talking-to, which they usually don't understand anyway. Those rule breakers are self-righteous, arrogant, and self-centered. Not people I would socialize with or befriend, but unfortunately we all have to deal with them......

Tightwad

Post by Tightwad »

Just printed out the rules from the first post, one copy for each kid that can read, and one for my wife and I. I was VERY insistent that each read and memorize them. I will continue to be insistent on this, until each knows the rules. The kids too young to read will be coached with extra guidance.

When I was about 14, I had a blowgun. Blowguns are not things you would leave loaded, because the darts don't stay in. I had a friend over, and fooling around, he picked up a Bowie knife from my dresser, and asked what I would do if he tried to cut me with it (jokingly, not in a threatening manner or anything). I said "I would do this!" and proceeded to grab my blowgun, point it at him, and blow through it. The "unloaded" blowgun dart stuck him in the cheekbone...maybe 1/2 inch from his eye!

lonewolf

Post by lonewolf »

One can just never be too certain, can one? I review the rules with my children before every range trip, ask questions during the trip, and review and question again when cleaning. My neighbor came over last time we were cleaining and was impressed with thier knowledge. This is not an area where little mistakes are tolerated.

USA1
Posts in topic: 10

Post by USA1 »

lonewolf wrote: I review the rules with my children before every range trip
Same here. My son who is 18 still gets "the speech" every time.
I usually start by saying "I know you know this already but I'm going to tell you anyway so be quiet and listen". ;-)
Glock Armorer - S&W M&P Armorer

Tightwad

Post by Tightwad »

I tested my kids last night. We have had airsoft guns for some time, so I handed them a pistol, to see what they would do. The Airsoft gun isn’t 100% realistic (hard to check the chamber on this design), but it pointed out that where they tended to put their finger was very much muscle memory…it went inside the trigger guard quite on it’s own. I did explain about removing the clip (wasn’t in there) and checking the chamber. The real test will come this week with my actual weapon…building up to that.

The biggest thing I think I need to get over will be the “coolness” factor…I know my son (10 yrs old) will want to see my pistol as often as possible, until the “new toy” factor wears down a bit. I plan to supervise, and let him handle it enough that it isn’t such a huge deal, while re-inforcing the rules (both these rules and the “you don’t need to talk/brag about this with your friends etc”). I want the weapon to become so common place they don’t feel the need to point it out in public etc.

HotLeadSolutions

Post by HotLeadSolutions »

I have taught my son gun safety since he could talk. He now handles firearms as safely as possible. (He's 14)

Funny Story:

We were in a sporting goods store, and the clerk let him see a 1911. (he was 12) my son started to disassemble it, and when he was done, the manager walked up and told the store clerk that let him see the 1911 that it was a big no no. I heard my name being paged over the intercom, and there they stood: 3 guys...two of which did not know how to reassemble the weapon and my son...who was no longer allowed to touch it... "rlol" I chuckled inside as I reassembled the weapon. All I could do was smile as we walked away. I had a little talk with him afterword, but what can you do??
Daniel
CHL Instructor
Dallas Concealed Carry
http://www.DallasConcealedCarry.com

Randy797

Post by Randy797 »

Great Post, Thanks !

RichardT

Post by RichardT »

New to the forum but had to take a moment and say great post. My 15 yr old son and I are avid shooters and just started shooting IDPA. he bested my score by an embarrassing amount.
I teach him safety and these rules but have just forwarded them to him and will make him commit it to memory.
Thanks for the great post and forum where I can get this. :txflag:
If you know how many guns you own, you don't have enough....Unknown

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”