Gun Safety Rules

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Liberty
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Gun Safety Rules

Post by Liberty »

CompVest wrote:
Liberty wrote:Seems as though the gunowner is the one that deserves the black eye. The girl is lucky that is the only damage.
That is my thought. After looking at this I understand why women come to me for instruction!
Maybe that's it, I have given some instruction to men and women, I usually find the ladys more coachable. I never understood stood why so many women dislike men instructors. Maybe examples like in this thread are more common place than I have given thought to.
Liberty''s Blog
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." John F. Kennedy

USA1
Posts in topic: 10

Post by USA1 »

Guy hit in head with .50 caliber ricochet :shock:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ABGIJwiGBc
Glock Armorer - S&W M&P Armorer

android
Posts in topic: 1

Post by android »

Read this thread from top to bottom. Made me think about a few things. I'm kind of new to handguns. I've been renting for a while, but I've never had to clean them or take them home with me. I've already made a few "personal rules" for myself. I only clean the pistol in my study and ammo is not in the study while cleaning and trigger practicing with snap caps and such. I thought that was a pretty good rule. I've been trigger practicing with snap cap shooting at a statue of Jabba the Hutt in the closet. But then the realization hit me that my daughter's bedroom is on the other side of that closet, so I'm not going to even practice dry firing pointed that way. So now I'm dry firing at the back wall that is clear for several hundred yard behind the house where there's a green belt. So, this thread at least had a effect on me to look at what I'm doing and make sure that even a chain of screw ups won't result in anything lethal happening.

USA1

Post by USA1 »

may the force be with you :tiphat:

Topic author
jbenat
Posts in topic: 8

Post by jbenat »

I'm taking my granddaughter and one of her girlfriends to the range this afternoon. Both are 17 y.O. and have never shot a gun. I spent considerable time with them yesterday making them read and re-read the safety rules until they can remember and recite them quickly. This morning I wll give them pistol handling and dry fire 101. By this afternoon they should know what end of the pistol to hold and how to not shoot themselves or anyone else. I'll watch them very closely when they have a loaded pistol in their hands.
I love teaching newbies and introducing them to our sport. :txflag:
NRA
TSRA
Texas CHL Holder
Member VRWC (Vast Right Wing Conspiracy)

USA OUT OF THE UN - LET THEM APPLAUDE THAT!
Liberal Motto; "We've got what it takes to take what you've got"

USA1

Post by USA1 »

jbenat wrote:I'm taking my granddaughter and one of her girlfriends to the range this afternoon.
sounds fun , what kind of gun(s) will they be shooting ?

Topic author
jbenat

Post by jbenat »

USA1 wrote:
jbenat wrote:I'm taking my granddaughter and one of her girlfriends to the range this afternoon.
I'll start them off with a 22 semi auto and then probably move to 9mm. If they handle the 9mm without any problems I'll let them shoot something a little larger like 40 and/or 45 caliber and/or 357 mag (large, heavy revolver), no snubbies. I don't want to push them too hard by putting something in their hands that might turn them against shooting. Too many people try to bring new shooters along too fast and it only turns them away from shooting. My hope is that they will enjoy the experience and become avid, or at least occasional shooters that will never see guns as evil.
We (my better half and me) often take newbies (usaully from India that work with her) to the range. Many of them are from countries that have outlawed guns. They love to shoot and have their pictures taken with a gun to send home. The women are the easiest to train since they will actually listen to what you say and try to follow instructions. I've seen tiny little women take to big guns very quickly. They love the big bang and controlling recoil. Fun to watch! :coolgleamA:
NRA
TSRA
Texas CHL Holder

USA1

Post by USA1 »

jbenat wrote:
USA1 wrote:
I'll start them off with a 22 semi auto and then probably move to 9mm. If they handle the 9mm without any problems I'll let them shoot something a little larger like 40 and/or 45 caliber and/or 357 mag (large, heavy revolver), no snubbies.
sounds like a good plan .
we expect a full report of how it goes :totap: ...good luck , be safe :tiphat:

CompVest

Post by CompVest »

jbenat wrote: Too many people try to bring new shooters along too fast and it only turns them away from shooting.
There is a fine line between moving new shooters along to fast and not letting them move ahead when they are ready and interested. This is why I like set my private lessons for each individual student and run my classes at a middle ground pace with special attention paid to the slower paced learner and finishing with advanced drills for the more advanced shooters.
Women on the DRAW – drill, revise, attain, win
Coached Practice Sessions for Women

Topic author
jbenat

Post by jbenat »

USA1 wrote:
jbenat wrote:
USA1 wrote:
I'll start them off with a 22 semi auto and then probably move to 9mm. If they handle the 9mm without any problems I'll let them shoot something a little larger like 40 and/or 45 caliber and/or 357 mag (large, heavy revolver), no snubbies.
WE had a lot of fun at the range (Bullet Trap, Plano, Tx) Thursday. My two little pupils were very careful and suprisingly good shots. I started them off with the 22 but that didn't last long. They easily moved up to the 9mm and then to the 40 caliber. I was worried they would be a little intimidated by the recoil and noise but no problem with either. My granddaughter (Ayla) loved shooting the 40 caliber the best. She turned out to be a excelent shot and was very excited by the whole experience. She posted her targets on her facebook page. http://www.facebook.com/home.php#/album ... 0007835868" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

They (the targets) have been decorated up just like you would expect a 17 year old girl to do. Very funny! :lol:
NRA
TSRA
Texas CHL Holder

USA1

Post by USA1 »

jbenat wrote:
USA1 wrote:
jbenat wrote:
USA1 wrote:
WE had a lot of fun at the range (Bullet Trap, Plano, Tx) Thursday. My two little pupils were very careful and suprisingly good shots. I started them off with the 22 but that didn't last long. They easily moved up to the 9mm and then to the 40 caliber. I was worried they would be a little intimidated by the recoil and noise but no problem with either. My granddaughter (Ayla) loved shooting the 40 caliber the best. She turned out to be a excelent shot and was very excited by the whole experience. She posted her targets on her facebook page. http://www.facebook.com/home.php#/album ... 0007835868" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

They (the targets) have been decorated up just like you would expect a 17 year old girl to do. Very funny! :lol:
great report . glad everything went well. :thumbs2:

i have a .22 , but i stopped taking it to the range .
after shooting my .45 , its just not as exciting .

Kevinf2349

Post by Kevinf2349 »

Great grouping especially for the first time. Glad they had fun, now are they cleaning the guns? lol
Glock - When a FTF just isn't an option!

04/24/09 - CHL Class
08/17/09 - Plastic in hand!

NRA & TSRA Member

Free men do not ask permission to bear arms.

"Society doesn't have a gun problem; Society has a society problem"

joe817
Posts in topic: 4

Post by joe817 »

I'll bet Grandad had almost as much fun teaching the young ones proper gun safety and shooting, as the girls did pulling the triggers! Well done Granpa! :tiphat:
Diplomacy is the Art of Letting Someone Have Your Way
TSRA
Colt Gov't Model .380

Topic author
jbenat

Post by jbenat »

Kevinf2349 wrote:Great grouping especially for the first time. Glad they had fun, now are they cleaning the guns? lol
Not just being a proud Grand dad but Ayla seems to have a natural ability to put holes close together. As far as cleaning guns it seems they, including my better half, have no interest in cleaning guns. It's a good thing I enjoy cleaning them.......sometimes. I told the girls that young guys loved the smell of gun oil but they didn't buy it.
joe817 wrote:I'll bet Grandad had almost as much fun teaching the young ones proper gun safety and shooting, as the girls did pulling the triggers! Well done Granpa! :tiphat:
Thanks. I knew I would enjoy it but didn't know how much fun it would actually be. I've given newbies my unofficial version of "pistol shooting 101" many times but these two were exceptional students. As previously stated, I spent quite a bit of time with them on the safety rules, grip, stance, operation of the slide, loading, unloading, safety check, and the difference between a semi-auto and a revolver. I let them know that there will be some recoil and loud noise so they would know what to expect.
CompVest wrote: There is a fine line between moving new shooters along to fast and not letting them move ahead when they are ready and interested. This is why I like set my private lessons for each individual student and run my classes at a middle ground pace with special attention paid to the slower paced learner and finishing with advanced drills for the more advanced shooters.
You are absolutely right. My unofficial "pistol 101" session is just enough to get them started but for further training I would have to pass them on to the experts. I told them to check out http://www.corneredcat.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for more information. Since they live in E. Texas (Longview area) and I live in Frisco, Tx, I won't get many opportunities to work with them. Where do you do your training?
NRA
TSRA
Texas CHL Holder

USA1

Post by USA1 »

jbenat wrote: I told the girls that young guys loved the smell of gun oil but they didn't buy it.
:smilelol5: thats a good one .
i don't know bout the young fellers , but i sure enjoy it :oops:

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”