shipping a handgun to the factory

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
JB3
Posts in topic: 3

shipping a handgun to the factory

Post by JB3 »

In all the years i have been around firearms, I have never sent one through the mail. I have to send a taurus pistol to the factory in florida.
I pulled up the return instructions and part of it said to consult your your local prosecuting attorney to see if it was legal in my state to do so. my question is what is the best way to do this? I know you guys will tell me. I know it is a stupid question, but I had to ask it thanks John :?:

bj
Posts in topic: 1

shipping

Post by bj »

The last time I shipped a weapon it wasthrough Fed X with no problem
B.J.

KBCraig
Banned

Post by KBCraig »

Pick either FedEx or UPS, your choice. You must use overnight or next day air, which will run you $20-25.

Next, box it up and ship it. If it came in tupperware, use that, then put the plastic box inside a cardboard box. You must declare to the carrier that it's a firearm. Most storefronts and contract pickup locations can't accept firearms, and will refer you to the main depot. Finding the depot for UPS can be tough, because they don't list them in the phone book, and reaching a human being over the phone can be a challenge.

Some people have successfully signed up for a UPS account and had their packages picked up by the route driver. YMMV.

Don't forget insurance. I hope you won't need it.

Kevin

yerasimos

Post by yerasimos »

+1 on Fedex. In my experience, Fedex has been a little more accommodating than UPS. In particular, if you take it to a UPS Store, they will say that they cannot accept firearms for shipment, and direct you to the nearest UPS distribution facility. Do not waste your time arguing with these hard-headed people; I believe it is a matter of store policy/limiting their liability, and not a legal issue. Whichever carrier you choose, go directly to their distribution facility to start the shipment, and avoid the uncooperative people at third-party shipping offices (UPS Store, Pak-Mail, etc).

In fairness to UPS, they have never caused a problem when delivering firearms to me (firearms that I owned and had repaired out of state), even though I do not have an FFL. This was/is perfectly legal, and they never fussed over it.

Topic author
JB3

shipping

Post by JB3 »

thanks for the great info on shipping. i thought if i had to go through a ffl it would end up costing me more than the gun is worth, a PT-22, you know what i mean. This is a great forum. I learn something new every time I log on, thanks again :smile: john

KBCraig
Banned

Post by KBCraig »

UPS does a great job delivering firearms (I have a C&R FFL). They're just not always easy to use when a non-FFL needs to ship something.

Kevin

da.suxor

Post by da.suxor »

I did nt see that anyone mentioned to NOT use USPS. Using USPS and not holding a FFL is a federal violation I believe.
Sic vis pacem, para bellum

tex45acp

Post by tex45acp »

Yes, I was informed by my local Postal Clerk that shipping a whole firearm bu USPS is in fact a Federal offense. Go FEDEX and you will be ok. The firearm must be shipped overnight. I suggest you insure it and have it signed for on the other end.......just to be safe!!
Texas.....Nuff Said!!!

DustinB

Post by DustinB »

Was this a broken firing firing pin? I also have a PT-22. Instead of sending it in I'm going to order the part online and replace it myself. I removed the broken pin very easily. Part is only about $9, shipping maybe 5. I'd rather pay $14 and do it myself than fork over $25 on shipping and insurance and wait several weeks for my gun to be back in my hands.

Topic author
JB3

PT22

Post by JB3 »

No, the problems are you can pull the trigger all the way back and sometimes it wont release the hammer, and the safety pops off with just a little pressure on the trigger. also failure to feed often. I got the gun for my daughter when she moved out on her own, but she has been married for 3 years now and she gave it back to me, with the same box of yellow jackets that i gave her. I took it to the range a couple weeks ago and found all these problems. Thank god she never had to use it, but i felt like a little something is better than nothing. john

RPBrown
Posts in topic: 2

Post by RPBrown »

Glad you asked the question JB3. I am about to have to send my PM40 back to Kahr and had no idea. Was going to ask today until I saw the replies that have been given.

Like I have said since finding this forum, great place for information without getting flamed. Thanks to all the members for your replies to not only this but other questions as well.
NRA-Benefactor Life member
TSRA-Life member

PWK

Post by PWK »

Just went to the UPS website and they require you to take it to a UPS distribution center and you have to ship next day air. When the website calcultated the cost it was nearly $500.00 with a declared value of $600 and insured. What gives?

KBCraig
Banned

Post by KBCraig »

PWK wrote:Just went to the UPS website and they require you to take it to a UPS distribution center and you have to ship next day air. When the website calcultated the cost it was nearly $500.00 with a declared value of $600 and insured. What gives?
That was wrong. :smile:

Figured you already knew that, but I don't know where the process got mix-up'd. Shipping UPS next day air shouldn't run over $30 with insurance.

Kevin

DiverDn

Post by DiverDn »

I'll let everyone know what mine cost, I'm getting ready to ship one gun back to Springfield and another to Kel Tec.

RPBrown
Posts in topic: 2

Post by RPBrown »

Just shipped my Kahr back Fed-Ex. $49.00 with a declaired value of 850.00
NRA-Benefactor Life member
TSRA-Life member

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”