Reload for small hands

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
progun47
Posts in topic: 1

Reload for small hands

Post by progun47 »

It will take much longer to write this out than it will to actually teach it. I wish I had a digital camera; I could let the pics do the talking, but since I don’t here goes.
This reload, for a 1911 type pistol, can be used by anyone not just people with small hands. I think it might actually be a more secure way of doing it. Normally when you start a reload, the weapon is kinda “pitched� sideways with the strong hand and the thumb hits the mag release while the weak hand goes for the new mag. With this method, you sometimes end up with the weapon in a compromising position, where it could be dropped, especially in a stressful situation.
While teaching my 12 year daughter, she just couldn’t throw the weapon around and still maintain control over it, as she tried to master the reload, she started doing it different, and as I watched I thought…man that is so simple, why didn’t I think of that.
I must also explain that I use and taught that the strong thumb should be on top of the safety and the weak thumb should be on the slide release, giving better recoil control. What she started doing was, simply pivoting the weak thumb directly down from the slide release to the mag release, on the way down to the fresh mag. It became one smooth motion, and didn’t take any more time than pitching the weapon sideways, and the plus side is you can still maintain the correct firing grip with the strong hand. The rest of the reload proceeds in the normal fashion. I have taught this method as an alternative to all the classes since that time. It actually is easier for new comers to master than the old way that everybody teaches on a 1911.
I hope that I have explained this in a way that most folks can understand it; I’m much better teaching in a “hands on� environment, so if anyone has questions, please feel free to shout them out.

Kalrog

Post by Kalrog »

Makes sense... I have also seen some people use the strong side middle finger to hit a mag release if you have one on both sides. Some people have found that easier as well. I do like the fact that both keep you with a better shooting grip than if you have to pivot the gun to reach the mag release with your strong thumb.

longtooth

Post by longtooth »

Me too. That is easy. I like it already & I don't have the tiny hands. Reason we did no think of it. We did what we were taught. Functionally fixed & the 12 yr old is not.
Carry 24-7 or guess right.
CHL Instructor. http://www.pdtraining.us" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
NRA/TSRA Life Member - TFC Member #11

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”