LCP Recall

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

A-R
Posts in topic: 7

Re: LCP Recall

Post by A-R »

I am pleased with my LCP, more so now that I have the CT laser grip (only laser I own and it REALLY helps me aim this tiny gun). I carry mine in a leather pocket holster with a wallet-like flat front panel that prevents any printing of the gun, even in tight pants. http://www.pocketholsters.com/ This is also one of the few quality holsters available for LCP with CT laser mounted. I strongly recommend this holster. Once I got the leather worked in a bit, it has functioned flawlessly for me.

The LCP is my last resort gun when I need to be in business attire with nice (read: thin & prissy) dress pants, tucked in shirts, and thin/weak belts. My career finds me in this attire more often than I'd like, thus I've been carrying the LCP a lot. However, if the pants I happen to be wearing for the day are durable enough and have large enough front pockets, I instead carry my S&W 638 J-frame .38 in a DeSantis Nemisis. I'm just a bit more comfortable with both the caliber and my ability to fire this gun accurately, especially in bright daylight (the CT laser on LCP can be nealry impossible to see in bright daylight).

I'm not wild about the .380 caliber, but as many have said - it's better than nothing at all. Before I got the CT laser, I viewed this gun not much more than a good long knife in effectiveness. But with the laser, I am comfortable I can hit my target at 10-15 yards if I had to. Not with a "kill shot" mind you - but I can hurt an attacker enough to allow me to make a quick get-away. I strongly recommend Hornady's new "Critical Defense" ammo, which was basically invented for small, short barrel underpowered guns like this and the Kel Tecs.

This is not the gun you'd want if you were a LEO patrolling the streets. But for its intended purpose it does well. For the money, it's probably the best pocket .380 on the market (I've held, but not fired the new Magnum Research .380 pocket gun, which is probably a better gun, but it's nearly twice as expensive and quite a bit heavier).

A-R

Post by A-R »

beads wrote: 2 month wait on them.
The Academy in Cedar Park, just down the road from my house, has Ruger LCPs in stock in the gun counter. I think I saw one at McBride's in Austin the other day too, but may have been a Kel Tec (didn't look that closely).

flb_78
Posts in topic: 11

Post by flb_78 »

I have about 500 rds through mine. I put a CT grip on it as well. I carry it in my front pocket and a Desantis Nemesis holster.

The only problems I have are an occasional FTE after the recall. Before the recall, about 1 bullet in every 2 mags would FTF and put a crease in the nose of the bullet from the feed ramp. My finish is rubbing off on the slide, but that's to be expected from a daily carry gun.
http://www.AmarilloGunOwners.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Eddie2612
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Eddie2612 »

Academys have been getting the LCP in a lot lately.. Grapevine got 7 on Friday and Lewisville had 5.. Plano got some the week before.. the store manager said they had some deal worked out with Ruger to sell these little kits..(I got one, nice carry case, extra mag etc) -- keep checking or call one and they will check inventory for other stores..then call the other store and have em hold it for you (24 hour max)

Glock 19 - IWB
Ruger P345 = .45
Sig Sauer Mosquito .22LR

Tireshred

Post by Tireshred »

Eddie2612 wrote:Academys have been getting the LCP in a lot lately.. Grapevine got 7 on Friday and Lewisville had 5.. Plano got some the week before.. the store manager said they had some deal worked out with Ruger to sell these little kits..(I got one, nice carry case, extra mag etc) -- keep checking or call one and they will check inventory for other stores..then call the other store and have em hold it for you (24 hour max)

I've noticed that too, I've seen them more and more, but I think people don't buy them unless they already have .380 at home.
"All of life's big problems include the words "Indictment" or "Inoperable", everything else is small stuff." Alton Brown

RHenriksen
Posts in topic: 1

Post by RHenriksen »

I wouldn't mind picking up an LCP myself, if the market price has settled down; but having a nice, new little gun like that and then not being able to buy ammo for it... that'd just make me grumpy.

When .380 ammo becomes more widely available, then I'd contemplate buying one.
I'll quit carrying a gun when they make murder and armed robbery illegal

Houston Technology Consulting
soup-to-nuts IT infrastructure design, deployment, and support for SMBs

Tireshred

Post by Tireshred »

I have 3 .380's and a few hundred rounds of ammo, but if I didn't have the ammo, I sure wouldn't have bought the LCP. :mrgreen:
"All of life's big problems include the words "Indictment" or "Inoperable", everything else is small stuff." Alton Brown

fredtubbs
Posts in topic: 2

Post by fredtubbs »

I got my LCP back from Ruger in March, but I still don't have my magazine extension. Did anyone else get theirs (after received the gun back)?

Thanks
Some call me Fred, some don't.

NRA Member
CHL
Bitter clinger

A-R

Post by A-R »

fredtubbs wrote:I got my LCP back from Ruger in March, but I still don't have my magazine extension. Did anyone else get theirs (after received the gun back)?

Thanks
I finally received my mag extension more than a month after receiving the returned/repaired gun. It is nice (definitely makes grip on the gun more stable).

Wish I knew where to buy more.
Last edited by A-R on Wed May 13, 2009 9:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tireshred

Post by Tireshred »

I have both the Ruger extensions and the Pierce, they are so close as to not being an issue. Here's where to get the Pierce.

https://www.sportsmans-depot.com/produc ... 52dPK.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

A-R

Post by A-R »

Tireshred wrote:I have both the Ruger extensions and the Pierce, they are so close as to not being an issue. Here's where to get the Pierce.

https://www.sportsmans-depot.com/produc ... 52dPK.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Thanks for the info, Tireshred. Didn't think to check for Pearce grips. This place has them too http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/58065-1.html. I'm going to add some to my cart for my next order from them.

Tireshred

Post by Tireshred »

No problem, I saw CTD had them too, with their recent gouging I just don't want to do business with them anymore.

A-R

Post by A-R »

Gouging? Please do tell. These grips are actually a buck cheaper at CTD. Have they been gouging ammo? I haven't really paid much attention now that I'm finally feeling "full" on ammo for now.

Tireshred

Post by Tireshred »

Ammo yes, they've sold .380 Blazer for around $60 a box, maybe more, and FN ammo for really high prices and probably others, I quit going there. I know supply and demand, yada, yada, yada, but Academy, Wally, Cabelas, Sportsman and others haven't done this. Just serach it on this forum and you'll see quite a few posts.

A-R

Post by A-R »

Tireshred wrote:Ammo yes, they've sold .380 Blazer for around $60 a box, maybe more, and FN ammo for really high prices and probably others, I quit going there. I know supply and demand, yada, yada, yada, but Academy, Wally, Cabelas, Sportsman and others haven't done this. Just serach it on this forum and you'll see quite a few posts.
Interesting. Thanks for the heads up.

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”