Posts in topic: 2

Car-jacking victim shoots back - Wins!

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

http://www.houstonchronicle.com/disp/st ... 93691.html

April 14, 2006, 6:59AM
Suspect killed during attempted Houston carjacking

By ANNE MARIE KILDAY
Copyright 2006 Houston Chronicle

An attempted robbery and carjacking turned deadly in the Westbury area of Houston on Thursday night when the victim shot one of the robbery suspects, Houston police said.

Houston homicide detective I.F. Flores said that the shooting at the Silver Spring Apartment complex at 5022 S. Willow was “a complicated situation� involving “numerous gunshots" that were exchanged between the robbery victim and two suspects.

Flores said that when the 19-year-old victim arrived home from work at about 11:15 p.m. on Thursday, he was approached by two armed men.

“They were robbing him. They had him get down on his knees,� Flores said.

The victim, who was also armed, fired his gun at one of the suspects as the second robber jumped into the victim’s car and started to drive away.

“For some reason, that suspect then made a U-turn out onto South Willow and came back into the parking lot, maybe to pick up his buddy. He then struck several parked cars in the parking lot and continued to shoot at the victim,� Flores said.

The 19-year-old fired several shots at that suspect, who then abandoned the stolen car and fled the scene on foot.

“He was running so fast that he stepped out of one shoe and one sock," Flores said, pointing to the footwear in the apartment parking lot.

That suspect is still at-large, possibly wounded and still armed, Flores said. Houston Police officers from the canine unit searched the complex for the other suspect, but he did not appear to be in the immediate area, Flores said.

After the exchange of gunfire, the victim went into his apartment, where he called police for help and reported the shooting.

Flores said that investigators were still trying to sort out the complicated scene early Friday at the apartment complex.

The name of the dead suspect is pending verification by the Harris County Medical Examiner’s Office. The victim escaped injury during the exchange of gunfire, Flores said.

Flores said that the victim will continue to be questioned by HPD homicide investigators about the shootings. He said he did not know why the victim was carrying a firearm, but added “in this area, it is not uncommon for someone to have a weapon.�

The case is likely to be referred to a grand jury, Flores said.

Topic author
Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

In the days before CHL in Texas, if the shooting was righteous and the shooter wasn't wanted, no UCW charges were ever filed. That attitude seems to be changing in some larger cities and that's a shame. I don't know the first thing about this guy, but if the shooting was a "good shoot," then I hope they don't charge him.

Chas.

oilman
Posts in topic: 1

Post by oilman »

Another version with additional details.

http://www.click2houston.com/news/8693429/detail.html

Victim Returns Fire, Killing 1 Of 2 Robbers
Surviving Robber Flees

POSTED: 8:33 am CDT April 14, 2006
UPDATED: 9:05 am CDT April 14, 2006

HOUSTON -- Residents of a southwest Houston apartment complex witnessed a shooting Thursday night after two men robbed a man coming home from work, police told KPRC Local 2.

The robbers approached the man at about 11 p.m. at the Silver Springs Apartments on South Willow Drive at South Post Oak Road and demanded that he hand over all of his money and his car, officers with the Houston Police Department said.

"They made him get on his knees; they pointed the gun to the back of his head, threatened to kill him if he didn't give them the vehicle. He complied and gave them the vehicle," HPD Homicide Detective I.F. Flores Jr. said.

Police said as the robbers were leaving the complex, one of the robbers started shooting at the victim, who then took out his own gun and fired back.

One of the robbers was struck and died at the scene. The surviving robber fled the scene but came back for his friend. That's when the victim, police said, fired at the robber, causing him to wreck his vehicle.

The surviving robber still managed to escape.

The robbery victim was not injured.

gigag04

Post by gigag04 »

19...nice...

That should come back and get him unfortunately.
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

HighVelocity

Post by HighVelocity »

I am VERY GLAD to read a story with the victim and the suspects clearly and properly defined for a change.

stevie_d_64

Post by stevie_d_64 »

"Flores said that the victim will continue to be questioned by HPD homicide investigators about the shootings. He said he did not know why the victim was carrying a firearm, but added “in this area, it is not uncommon for someone to have a weapon.�"

I bet I know... :roll: :roll: :roll:

I feel like I'm Arnold Horsehack in Mr. Kotter's class... :lol:
"Perseverance and Preparedness triumph over Procrastination and Paranoia every time.” -- Steve
NRA - Life Member
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"
Μολών λαβέ!

longtooth

Post by longtooth »

Questioning probably starts w/ You are 19, what are you doing w/ a handgun? I would rather be alive & answering that Q than dead & unable to answer it.
Carry 24-7 or guess right.
CHL Instructor. http://www.pdtraining.us" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
NRA/TSRA Life Member - TFC Member #11

dws1117

Post by dws1117 »

HighVelocity wrote:I am VERY GLAD to read a story with the victim and the suspects clearly and properly defined for a change.
+1 For some reason that stuck out in the story.
longtooth wrote:Questioning probably starts w/ You are 19, what are you doing w/ a handgun? I would rather be alive & answering that Q than dead & unable to answer it.
Amen! As with the old saying, better judged by twelve than carried by six.

KBCraig
Banned

Post by KBCraig »

longtooth wrote:Questioning probably starts w/ You are 19, what are you doing w/ a handgun? I would rather be alive & answering that Q than dead & unable to answer it.
It's not illegal to have a handgun at 19 in Texas. His age does mean he doesn't have a CHL, obviously.

Kevin

RPBrown

Post by RPBrown »

Maybe a test case for the traveling law against the Harris County DA.
NRA-Benefactor Life member
TSRA-Life member

longtooth

Post by longtooth »

KB, thanks. I was also remembering you can't buy one until 21 also. Can't buy does not mean can't own or have. Thanks. See you in print.
Carry 24-7 or guess right.
CHL Instructor. http://www.pdtraining.us" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
NRA/TSRA Life Member - TFC Member #11

RPBrown

Post by RPBrown »

Similar thing happened in Irving last week. Think the BG's will ever learn.

Naa!
NRA-Benefactor Life member
TSRA-Life member

flintknapper
Banned

Post by flintknapper »

longtooth wrote:KB, thanks. I was also remembering you can't buy one until 21 also. Can't buy does not mean can't own or have. Thanks. See you in print.

LT is correct:

There is no minimum age to possess firearms under Texas law, although federal law generally prohibits the possession of a handgun or handgun ammunition by anyone under the age of 18. 18 U.S.C. § 922(x)(2), (3) and (5).

Federal law prohibits firearms dealers from selling or delivering a shotgun or rifle, or ammunition for a shotgun or rifle, to any person the dealer knows or has reasonable cause to believe is under the age of 18. 18 U.S.C. § 922(b)(1), (c)(1). Dealers are prohibited from selling or delivering other firearms (e.g., handguns) or ammunition for those firearms to any person the dealer knows or has reasonable cause to believe is under the age of 21. Id.

Federal law provides less stringent age restrictions with respect to sales by unlicensed persons. Unlicensed persons generally may not sell, deliver or otherwise transfer a handgun or handgun ammunition to any person the transferor knows or has reasonable cause to believe is under the age of 18. 18 U.S.C. § 922(x)(1), (3) and (5). Federal law provides no age limitations with respect to the sale of a long gun by an unlicensed person.

An applicant for a license to carry a concealed handgun under Texas law must be at least 21 years of age. Tex. Gov't. Code § 411.172(a)(2).

In addition, no person may intentionally or knowingly sell, rent, lease, or give or offer to sell, rent, lease, or give any firearm to any child younger than age 18. Tex. Penal Code § 46.06(a)(2). However, it is an affirmative defense to this offense that the parent or the person having legal custody of the minor had given written permission for the sale or, if the transfer was other than a sale, the parent or person having legal custody had given effective consent. Section 46.06(c).

I'd be interested to know the entire story on this one though.
Spartans ask not how many, but where!

Boma

Post by Boma »

Very Good! I'm glad they got what they deserved.

I think a few of the bad guys do learn from their crimes, but there's always a new crop of thugs that replace them!!!!

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”