1911 Carry

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
RocTrac
Posts in topic: 12

1911 Carry

Post by RocTrac »

After shooting a 1911 a few months back, I haven't been able to get it out of my head. How does it carry and are there any suggestions. What makes and models to stay away from etc...I currently have a XD 40 SC and it is in no way the pleasure to shoot as the 1911 was.
03/Oct 09- Class taken
05/Oct 09- Packet Mailed
05 1/2 Oct- Tapping fingers on desk waiting
04/Dec. 09- Plastic came in the Mail.
Primary Dan Wesson Valor
Secondary Kimber Crimson Carry II
Third XDm 9

frazzled

Re: 1911 Carry

Post by frazzled »

Your first issue and most important is what size pistol (this revolves around what size barrel length mostly).

full size. aka combat or military size. This is your standard issue government .45. The big boy.

mid size. some .45s are smaller 3.5 - 4 inch barrel.

carry. The smallest. It usually has around a 3in barrel.

The smaller the pistol the greater the recoil but easier to carry, due to small er size and lighter weight.

dicion
Posts in topic: 4

Post by dicion »

RocTrac wrote:After shooting a 1911 a few months back, I haven't been able to get it out of my head. How does it carry and are there any suggestions. What makes and models to stay away from etc...I currently have a XD 40 SC and it is in no way the pleasure to shoot as the 1911 was.
1911's Carry Great :) I, and many other forum members carry one daily :)

The single stack grips make them very thin, and easily kept against the body. If you get one of the shorter Commander of Officers frame models, especially the aluminum frame ones, they can be decently light as well.
The biggest issue with carrying a 1911 is not the slide length, thats easy to conceal IWB, but the grip length. The Officer's grip is slightly shorter and doesn't stick out as much when you bend over.

I would recommend a Kimber Carry Line or one of the CDP II line, but only because that is what I currently have (and love) and currently want :)
In my opinion, My current 'perfect carry' 1911 is a Compact CDP II. It has a 4" Barrel, and an Officers frame. Best of both worlds!

As far as what models to stay away from, I can't really give any specifics, but my opinion is, you wouldn't buy the cheapest motorcycle helmet you could find that barely passed DOT requirements, would you?

Topic author
RocTrac

Post by RocTrac »

On the short list is Springfield, Colt and Kimber. I am still looking into what model, and yes looks are important. :coolgleamA:
Another point it which holster, I have a Crossbreed Supertuck for the .40 and love it.
03/Oct 09- Class taken
05/Oct 09- Packet Mailed
Primary Dan Wesson Valor
Third XDm 9

Zee
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Zee »

I have a Colt Commander. 4 1/2" barrel but full length grip. That long grip is the hardest to conceal for me.
As for shooting, I quickly got use to the big-boy blast. Everything else seems like a youth model.
80% Liberal, 90% Democrat, 100% Responsible gun owner.

Although it is not true that all conservatives are stupid people, it is true that most stupid people are conservative. John Stuart Mill (1806-1873)

Jesus was a Jewish Liberal

frazzled

Post by frazzled »

Agreed:
*Springfield and Kimber are at the higher end and quality for mass production. Springfield has the traditional 1911 but also the XD type. Note there are smaller much more expensive outfits selling competition level .45s in a big way. 1911s are considered the canvas to create high art in metal by many. I think even Sig Sauer makes one (but in this instance its easy to buy American).

Others are Para ordnance, Smith and Wesson, Ruger (I think), maybe Taurus.
Way down the price range is Rock Island which makes a cheap, competent full size version.

dicion
Posts in topic: 4

Post by dicion »

RocTrac wrote: and yes looks are important. :coolgleamA:
Another point it which holster, I have a Crossbreed Supertuck for the .40 and love it.
Hard to beat the Kimber CDP's on looks :mrgreen:
(Seriously.. this is just my complete desire to own one myself speaking here... I want one so badly :P)

For holsters, I use a Tucker "The Answer' Holster.

However, lots of people use Crossbreeds as well, and love them.
You have to find the holster that works the best for you :)

Also, forgot to mention. I Carry 7+1 in my Ultra carry, but I carry full-size 8rd spare mags.
If I need to reload, then the additional mag length won't be an issue for concealment anymore "rlol"

Topic author
RocTrac

Post by RocTrac »

In my search for more info, I keep running into a lot of small maintanence issue's to learn. Is there a good smith in the Ft Worth area or maybe a big book that you recomend? I believe that it would be important to learn more about the maint on these so that "in theory" I can keep it rocken' myself. I would also like to put my hands on different makes/models to get a feel. Thanks for all the replys and keep em' coming.
03/Oct 09- Class taken
05/Oct 09- Packet Mailed
Primary Dan Wesson Valor
Third XDm 9

DONT TREAD ON ME

Post by DONT TREAD ON ME »

I carry a Gov't model Springfield...5". Large and in charge. Dont be scared at the length of the gun it conceals very easily...for me anyway. I am a buck 75 and around 6'. Not a big guy at all. I dont wear oversized clothes either. I have no problem concealing the Gov't model.

I also agree that Springfield (obviously) and Kimber are your best bets. Taurus makes a good one for a lot less money. I dont have a large cash flow and couldnt afford the expensive 1911s so I got me a Mil-Spec. $650ish. I am slowly changing the parts to make it a more comfortable fit.

http://www.texaschlforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=27508" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

There are some pics of what I did to it. To see what it was before just google SA 1911 Mil-Spec and you can get a pic of one.

So in a way I am getting a great gun and getting it customized to how I like it.

Topic author
RocTrac

Post by RocTrac »

That my friend is a very nice weapon. I like your approach on that, I believe that I'll be looking into something similar. It'll most likely end up like my Jeep, more mod than stock. I love to tinker.
03/Oct 09- Class taken
05/Oct 09- Packet Mailed
Primary Dan Wesson Valor
Third XDm 9

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 2

Post by The Annoyed Man »

RocTrac wrote:In my search for more info, I keep running into a lot of small maintanence issue's to learn. Is there a good smith in the Ft Worth area or maybe a big book that you recomend? I believe that it would be important to learn more about the maint on these so that "in theory" I can keep it rocken' myself. I would also like to put my hands on different makes/models to get a feel. Thanks for all the replys and keep em' coming.
I carry a Kimber Ultra most days, and a Springfield 5" other days. Euless Guns & Ammo on Euless Blvd (Hwy 10), just west of Highway 157, north side of the street, next door to the cop shop. They sell and work on 1911s. Their rates are reasonable too.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Topic author
RocTrac

Post by RocTrac »

Thanks, I will check them out when I get back to the States.
03/Oct 09- Class taken
05/Oct 09- Packet Mailed
Primary Dan Wesson Valor
Third XDm 9

Pete92FS
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Pete92FS »

I carry both a Para GI Expert (5") and a Kimber Ultra Crimson Carry II (3") and love the both.

If you plan on tinkering and upgrading I would do my homework on the Taurus 1911's before I bought one. I don't think their parts are interchangeable with other brand 1911's and vice veresa. I may be wrong - if there are any Taurus 1911 owners out there please correct me if I'm wrong.
CHL since 01/26/09

DONT TREAD ON ME

Post by DONT TREAD ON ME »

RocTrac wrote:That my friend is a very nice weapon. I like your approach on that, I believe that I'll be looking into something similar. It'll most likely end up like my Jeep, more mod than stock. I love to tinker.
Much appreciated :tiphat:

I think I have a decent gun (Yea its a Mil-Spec but its still a Springfield) and I get to make my own mods to it with the parts that I want. As someone on here stated before...it keeps the love affair fresh!

:patriot:

gfmun
Posts in topic: 2

Post by gfmun »

The length of the barrel is not going to be a factor most of the time as you put it down your pants with a IWB holster. The length of the grip can be important, as the full size is not as easy to conceal as the shorter grip. It depends on how you dress and what you do all day long. What I believe is more important is the weight. A 5" steel 1911 is hefty. The ultras or smaller ones and the light weight ones are more comfortable to carry all day long to a lot of people.

As far as taking care of it, that is not hard, that is part of the fun. You don't need to buy a book unless you like books. There is a ton of info available on the 'net. There are forums dedicated to just 1911s that have a ton of information and peoples opinions.

I lean towards Kimbers and STIs, but I have owned a Springfield 1911 and had no problems at all. Stick with Colt, Kimber, Springfield and there are tons of parts available if you want to play.

thanks, and enjoy your 1911

George

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”