Introduce yourself

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

ea40ss
Posts in topic: 3

Post by ea40ss »

Hello all, I am 38, male, married, three dogs, no kids. We've had our CHLs since 1997(the wife and I, not the dogs). Member TSRA, NRA, PSC Shooting Club, and just recently started shooting IDPA. One match to be exact, but can't wait for the next one. Carry equipment: Sig Sauer p239 .40 usually in Don Hume OWB with one spare mag and a streamlight TL-2 flashlight. I also try to attend at least one firearms training class per year. A local community college offers intermediate and advanced defensive handgun training to folks with a CHL.

dws1117
Posts in topic: 53

Post by dws1117 »

Welcom to the forums, ea40ss.

Would the "local community college" be college of the mainland? I don't seem to remember those classes when I went there.

TraCoun
Posts in topic: 1

Introductions ...

Post by TraCoun »

I'm a 57 year old male, training coordinator at a chemical plant.

Married, total 4 kids, 2 grandkids
6 years CHL
Have carried Beretta 96 (.40) and Glock 27 (.40)
Now my number one is a Springfield Champion 1911
Have a Milt Sparks IWB holster (southpaw version) for the 1911.
Also NRA Instructor and Training Counselor

ea40ss

Post by ea40ss »

It is College of the Mainland. They offer Basic handgun for newer shooters, Intermediate and Advanced Defensive Handgun for those with a CHL. The Classes are offered once each per semester, spring and fall. The prices are reasonable, ammunition, targets and indoor range are included in the tuition. They also hold monthly classes for new CHLs and re-qualification. I've taken the intermediate class several times, but the advanced rarely has enough people sign up so it doesn't make. The web address is http://www.com.edu Just click on the continuing education schedule and look for the handgun classes. The shooting range is on site at the college and the classroom is at the range. I know it is unusual to see a college offer these kinds of classes considering the liberal nature of most colleges and universities... But who's complaining!?

dws1117

Post by dws1117 »

I'm Complaining!!! COM would certainly have been much more interesting when I went to school there if I had of known that they has shooting classes.

ea40ss

Post by ea40ss »

I fully understand, dws1117. I've taken many a class at COM and i didn't know they offered these classes either until I just happened to be looking through the continuing education catalog one day. I always knew the range was there but at one time it was only for law enforcement training. I guess after the CHL came about the college realized that they might be able to get more use of the range and maybe make some money. Anyway the instructors are top notch, retired police and military. Well worth the money considering the costs of other places that are far away. I'm sure the other places are well worth their money but just a little out of my price range. Anyway take care.

dws1117

Post by dws1117 »

ea40ss

Thanks for the info. Sounds good. Unfortunately I am now living in Spring and COM is a little far to drive. While I was there I was taking Theatre and rarely left the fine arts building. That was about 12 years ago.

It is nice to hear of something like this at a college. Who knows, maybe they'll start a trend. One can hope.

gknierim

Introduction

Post by gknierim »

I have a small place near Jacksboro with a few cattle, ponies, llamas, chickens, turkeys and guineas. I always carry about the property due to snakes, coyotes and mountain lions. I lost two turkeys to mountain lions about three weeks ago.

My common carry weapons are a Beretta model 1934 in .380 and a Beretta Tomcat in .32 if I need stealth.

Observation! When I do a bit of plinking at tin cans in the pasture the .380 and others bore a hole in the ground, hard clay, but I can pick up the .32 slugs on the surface and they only exhibit a slight dent on the nose. Consequently I call the Tomcat my, "Shoot & Scoot" pistol.

Fundummy

Post by Fundummy »

52 Y/O male, brown over brown 5'8", 160 :)

Married

10 years Air Force
24 years Federal
Moved from Louisiana back to Texas in 2001.
Florida and Texas CHL

Glock 30 .45acp stays in my vehicle 24 / 7.
I dont " normally " carry on person but when I do, the piece will vary with where i'm going.
NAA .22 mag ... Smith model 60 2" stainless .357 ... Springfield XD9 subcompact 9mm.
everything except the .22 mag is stocked with Federal Hydrashok's.

I do listen to the police scanner alot...
It's amazing how much is going on around us all the time, that most are unaware of.

Turn your volume up and try this Long range Rifle Demo :
http://www.shooterready.com/lrsdemohi.html

thanks for the welcome, I appreciate the good company here :)
Last edited by Fundummy on Thu Apr 07, 2005 12:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

em1077

Post by em1077 »

26 y/o (just turned), Male, 6'0", 250lbs

Single
4.5 years USAF
3.5 years college (currently attending, exp grad Spring 2006) - CIS
Working on TX CHL
EDC: 3" Ken Onion assisted-open kershawe blade, no firearms (as I'm don't have my CHL) and I go to a university (so no use for them there).

Current firearms owned:
Springfield XD40 5" Tactical OD Green
Glock 17 (2nd gen)
Colt Trooper .357 (Mk V)

Walter

Post by Walter »

Hi, everybody. I guess I'm the newest guy on this block.
I'm a member of The Firing Line (where I found this site)
and The High Road. I enjoy them both, but this site hits me
really close to home, in more ways than one, so I am looking
forward to checking it out daily. I am;

Male
married,33 years
two kids, three grandkids
Marine Corps VietNam Vet
live in Arlington
work in Dallas
sheet metal mech.
Kim Brimer is my House Rep.
Chris Harris is my Senator
had my CCL since 1996
I carry (usually) a CZ RAMI .40S&W in a Don Hume iwb holster
loaded with HydraShoks, or a PPK .380 with HydraShoks
Ocassionally I'll hang a Colt Gov. Mod. 45 acp in my waistband.

Walter
CHL holder
TSRA Life Member
NRA En. Life Member

Johnny Van Etta

Post by Johnny Van Etta »

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have a small place near Jacksboro with a few cattle, ponies, llamas, chickens, turkeys and guineas. I always carry about the property due to snakes, coyotes and mountain lions. I lost two turkeys to mountain lions about three weeks ago.

My common carry weapons are a Beretta model 1934 in .380 and a Beretta Tomcat in .32 if I need stealth.

""Help me here....You carry a .380 or a .32 for MOUNTAIN LIONS? This is only if you need STEALTH? By your own admission below, you pick up the .32 projectile from the ground with only "a slight dent on the nose". WHAT KIND OF DAMAGE DO YOU THINK YOU CAN INFLICT ON A MOUNTAIN LION with this weapon/caliber? ""

Observation! When I do a bit of plinking at tin cans in the pasture the .380 and others bore a hole in the ground, hard clay, but I can pick up the .32 slugs on the surface and they only exhibit a slight dent on the nose. Consequently I call the Tomcat my, "Shoot & Scoot" pistol.

"" I'm sorry if I seem to be picking on you, but if you choose to "Shoot & Scoot" with a mountain lion, you will probably lose most of your ASS, if not a whole lot more than that.

Do you carry concealed for real life? I'm talking about going to a convenience store, hotel parking lot, Wal Mart, etc. Do you understand the REAL LIFE THREATS you face every day?

If you do, you really need to SERIOUSLY consider a real caliber weapon system to protect yourself & anyone you care for. ""

Johnny Van Etta

Baytown

Post by Baytown »

Johnny, welcome aboard. I'm glad to see you have joined us and look forward seeing a lot of posts from you.

Glenn

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts in topic: 61

Welcome Walter

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

Walter:
Welcome to the forum.

Chas.

Lindy

Post by Lindy »

About that puny .380 - I have yet to encounter a caliber that I wanted to be shot with. And when it comes to shot placement, Johnny can more than take care of himself. Anyone who doubts that should go read the match results from the IDPA Nationals from any year this century. Welcome aboard, John!
"Amateurs practice until they can do it right. Professionals practice until they cannot do it wrong." -- John Farnam

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”