Post by LDB415 »

nonleg wrote:40
Male
Information Security Consultant
Married (wife insists I carry too!)
9 Years Texas CHL, 12 years Georgia/LA/Utah
XD .45ACP Compact IWB, XD Mod 2 .45 ACP Subcompact for the OWB days

I've only been outed by one five year old in 12 years. :thumbs2:
Welcome to the forum. It's a great one. If you're in the Houston area check out our south quadrant breakfast thread.
It's fine if you disagree. I can't force you to be correct.
NRA Life Member, TSRA Life Member, GSSF Member
A pistol without a round chambered is an expensive paper weight.

rguy90
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Introduce yourself

Post by rguy90 »

Just wanted to take a moment to introduce myself here at Texas CHL Forum. Been lurking around the website since 2010 but just now made the decision to register. We all make mistakes right? Excited to spend a little more time here and snag some knowledge from some fellow Texans. Proud to represent and protect the Lone Star State!

26 yrs old
Male
Client Experience Manager w/ Emerge Medical Data Intelligence
5 yrs license concealed carry experience
U.S. Congressman Pete Sessions
Ruger P95 chambered in 9mm
Ruger SR1911 Lightweight Commander chambered in .45ACP in a black horsehide White Hat Holsters MaxTuck IWB holster
Heckler & Koch USP Compact chambered in 9mm also in a black horsehide White Hat Holsters MaxTuck IWB holster
Mossberg 590a1 - looking at light options. Suggestions?

Thank you!
All things in moderation....except bourbon, books, bbq and bullets. :txflag:

Jusme
Posts in topic: 18

Post by Jusme »

rguy90 wrote:Just wanted to take a moment to introduce myself here at Texas CHL Forum. Been lurking around the website since 2010 but just now made the decision to register. We all make mistakes right? Excited to spend a little more time here and snag some knowledge from some fellow Texans. Proud to represent and protect the Lone Star State!

26 yrs old
Male
Client Experience Manager w/ Emerge Medical Data Intelligence
5 yrs license concealed carry experience
U.S. Congressman Pete Sessions
Ruger P95 chambered in 9mm
Ruger SR1911 Lightweight Commander chambered in .45ACP in a black horsehide White Hat Holsters MaxTuck IWB holster
Heckler & Koch USP Compact chambered in 9mm also in a black horsehide White Hat Holsters MaxTuck IWB holster
Mossberg 590a1 - looking at light options. Suggestions?

Thank you!
Welcome to the forum!! :tiphat:

I have a Mossberg 500 with an Elzetta light mount. I just have a Mag-light model 50 mounted on it and it has held up well even using 3" mag loads. That's what stays beside my bed at night. I have the light mounted on the left side, and can easily grab the gun, and hit the rear button on the light.

There are several options out there, but for what I need, it works great and it didn't break the bank.
Take away the Second first, and the First is gone in a second :rules: :patriot:

SIGFan43

Post by SIGFan43 »

Member of this forum since 2008 :hurry:
73-year-old male, divorced in 2006
Vietnam-era USAF (Del Rio, Texas; London, England; Antwerp, Belgium)
Hobbies: Creative Writing, Cooking, Blogging, dream about guns & ammo only when awake
Years in CHL/LTC: 18 (8 yrs in Arkansas, 10 years in Texas)
Carry guns/equipment:
Sig P320 Subcompact 9mm (my EDC)
Sig P250 Compact 9mm (with SIG357 caliber conversion kit))
Favorite holsters (Vedder Holsters): LightTuck IWB Kydex (both pistols) or LightDraw OWB Kydex (P250) and QuickDraw OWB Kydex/Leather hybrid (P320)
Last edited by SIGFan43 on Sun Apr 09, 2017 7:02 am, edited 2 times in total.
SIGFan43
Where am I going, and why am I in this handbasket?

ktfiend

Post by ktfiend »

Hi, I'm Ktfiend, and I'm an addict... wait, wrong forum.... Just kidding, well, maybe not :???: I do have a tendency to become very passionate about hobbies that I become interested in.

I'm new to chl and haven't been around firearms since I was young (both of my parents have carried for many years). We've been debating our CHLs for a couple of years now and finally decided it was time.

29 yo (at heart- but actually more like 48)
Female
International Tax for Oil & Gas (recently laid off from bankrupt company; looking for my next gig)
Married 28 years
Grew up in League City but ended up in Katy
Hubby has application in process also
3 grown children; oldest just got out of USMC after 9 years, middle is teacher, baby was in Navy and trying to go back in.

My newest obsession is starting my own little family of Glocks. And I'm ready to carry as soon as the State finishes processing my application!

Is it possible to clean a gun too much? :lol::

Oh, I nearly forgot... this forum is a wealth of knowledge and quite helpful while playing the waiting game for my LTC. Plus, my new BRCC CAF obsession originated here!

WildBill
Posts in topic: 89

Post by WildBill »

Welcome to the forum Ktfiend!
I look forward to your posts.
NRA Endowment Member

DLawrence
Posts in topic: 2

Post by DLawrence »

Hi I'm Donna
I'm 57, widowed, mother of 1 daughter
I just finished my CHL testing-
About to submit my app for licensing.
Living in central Texas.

After a few break ins and living with my older sister,
I decided to get a handgun.

I'm not one to open carry, but will purse carry and have my gun available in my vehicle on trips.

I'm not sure if this is where I can ask a question - y'all can let me know :)

I know I can carry my gun in the car but wondered if I can use a locking holster mounted between the drivers seat and my center console. I have a locking drawer under the passenger seat- too difficult to get if needed - and glove box too far away ( okay I'm short ) haha

If it's locking but still basically visible would it be legal?

DLawrence

Post by DLawrence »

I guess I should add, I own a Walther PK 380

G26ster

Post by G26ster »

DLawrence wrote: If it's locking but still basically visible would it be legal?
No, under the MPA it must be covered. But if you have your LTC and it's on your person in a belt or shoulder holster, then you are open carrying legally.

Liberty
Posts in topic: 16

Post by Liberty »

Congratulations and welcome to the forum. I think you will find this a friendly and informative place.
If it's in the car it needs to be hidden, You can hide it by putting a cloth over it.
Carrying it concealed in your car this way isn't by the authority of your LTC but by the Motorist Protection ACT.
Liberty''s Blog
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." John F. Kennedy

Skiprr
Posts in topic: 26

Post by Skiprr »

DLawrence wrote:I know I can carry my gun in the car but wondered if I can use a locking holster mounted between the drivers seat and my center console. I have a locking drawer under the passenger seat- too difficult to get if needed - and glove box too far away ( okay I'm short ) haha

If it's locking but still basically visible would it be legal?
Hi, Donna, and a great big welcome to the Forum.

You've had two good responses. With your license, you can carry in a vehicle on your person if in a belt or shoulder holster, whether concealed or openly visible. With or without your license, the handgun cannot be readily visible in the vehicle if not on your person. But you may carry it--again with or without a license--anywhere in the vehicle so long as it is not visible.

Liberty's towel trick will work just fine to conceal the handgun the way you described you'd prefer to have it in the vehicle. And secured, as you described is a very good idea: some folks will set a gun on the passenger seat and put a towel (or cover of choice) over it. Legal, but not a good idea if you have to hit the breaks.

And, yep, we have categories--or subforums--for questions where you'll get a lot more eyes and a lot more informed responses. We even have an area dedicated to women and any particular issues, techniques, gear, or questions they have as handgun carriers.

As one of your friendly neighborhood moderators, I'm leaving these posts here, but I encourage no one else to respond to the question in this thread so that we can keep it focused on introductions.

And to close in that vein, welcome again. Texas has made great strides over the past decade in increasing the number of women who choose to get their LTC, but it still isn't good enough. I'm thrilled every time I know another woman has decided to get her license and be armed. I hope your daughter considers doing so as well.
Join the NRA or upgrade your membership today. Support the Texas Firearms Coalition and subscribe to the Podcast.
I’ve contacted my State Rep, Gary Elkins, about co-sponsoring HB560. Have you contacted your Rep?
NRA Benefactor Life Member

Shafty

Post by Shafty »

Howdy, ya'll.

Male
Attorney (Civil)
Married (17 years) with 2 children
Brand-new CHL (February 2017)
TSR House District 133

Since I received my LTC, I've been carrying my father's favorite carry pistol -- a Mauser HSC .380, with an Aliengear Cloak Tuck 3.0. But the Mauser suffers from a well-documented FTF issue. I've replaced the springs and ammunition, and that helps somewhat. But I need a more reliable carry.

So, once my new IWB holsters arrive in the mail, I'll be switching to my new Glock 43. Either the same Aliengear with a new shell or a Crossbreed Minituck.

strogg

Post by strogg »

Maybe I should have started here after joining.

Male, early 30s. I just got liberated from the People Republic of California in January and now living on American soil. I'm situated in Denton county doing ERP/database admin and dev stuff for a public company, specializing in anything Microsoft. Got my CHL in March, and I carry an FNS9-C or a Five-SeveN with a SGUSA IWB holster. When I'm not shooting up my hoarded ammo or working, I like to work on DIY projects, focusing on computers/electronics, audiophilia, and cars.

Jigo23

Post by Jigo23 »

Hey y'all, just joined the forum and wanted to introduce myself. My name is Jim, 55 years old (it's not the years, it's the MILES lol), live in Royse City about 30 miles East of Big D. Retired military (USAF) spent first of of my career doing intelligence collection and analysis against the Big Red Bear during the Cold War then went on to serve the rest in the U.S. Special Operations Command. Took part in every major military action and a lot of "minor" ones, from 1986-2004 when I retired at 20 years and 1 day (not that I was counting lol). Did the Govt/DoD Contractor thing until 2013 when those miles finally caught up to me and had to go on medical retirement/disability. Now enjoy collecting/shooting all kinds of guns, hope to get back to shooting in occasional IDPA matches, hunting/fishing as I can, and spending time with family (1 son in the FBI, 1 son in US Army) and best of all spending time with my 3 beautiful little granddaughters! Done a lot of shooting in my days but there's always something new I can learn from others here, and if I can help others here then so much the better. Mainly just looking to hang around in a fun and easy going forum with like-minded guys and gals who don't take themselves too seriously and not afraid to joke around and have a laugh, yes even at ourselves :) Thanks for letting me join y'all, looks like a great forum!
If ya wanna run with the big dogs, ya gotta get off the porch!
"I hate rude behavior in a man, won't tolerate it"
- Ranger Capt Woodrow F. Call

Jusme
Posts in topic: 18

Post by Jusme »

Jigo23 wrote:Hey y'all, just joined the forum and wanted to introduce myself. My name is Jim, 55 years old (it's not the years, it's the MILES lol), live in Royse City about 30 miles East of Big D. Retired military (USAF) spent first of of my career doing intelligence collection and analysis against the Big Red Bear during the Cold War then went on to serve the rest in the U.S. Special Operations Command. Took part in every major military action and a lot of "minor" ones, from 1986-2004 when I retired at 20 years and 1 day (not that I was counting lol). Did the Govt/DoD Contractor thing until 2013 when those miles finally caught up to me and had to go on medical retirement/disability. Now enjoy collecting/shooting all kinds of guns, hope to get back to shooting in occasional IDPA matches, hunting/fishing as I can, and spending time with family (1 son in the FBI, 1 son in US Army) and best of all spending time with my 3 beautiful little granddaughters! Done a lot of shooting in my days but there's always something new I can learn from others here, and if I can help others here then so much the better. Mainly just looking to hang around in a fun and easy going forum with like-minded guys and gals who don't take themselves too seriously and not afraid to joke around and have a laugh, yes even at ourselves :) Thanks for letting me join y'all, looks like a great forum!

Welcome Jigo23!!

Thank you for your service, and pass my thanks on to your sons. :tiphat:

You are right we never take ourselves too seriously, plus most of us have significant others to keep our heads from getting too big. :smash:

Take some time to look around, and jump in on any topic you feel like.
Take away the Second first, and the First is gone in a second :rules: :patriot:

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”