GRRRR!

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
Venus Pax
Posts in topic: 2

GRRRR!

Post by Venus Pax »

Daddy & I went to the gun show in Pasadena.
While there, I bought a Hi-Point 9mm.
Although sinfully cheap, Daddy said that one of his consumer gun magazines tested it and it was one of the most reliable.
So I buy it for a whole $125 (after tax), knowing that in no time I'll spend more on ammo. I get an extra magazine, and figure I can practice with it, considering 9mm ammo to be much less than anything but .22.

What do we discover? It doesn't work properly.
It can shoot one bullet, but it won't cycle. (And when you rack the slide, the bullets tend to jam.) Also, if you shake it, it sounds like something is rattling around in there. I'm no expert, but I don't imagine things are supposed to rattle around in a gun.

Luckily, it has a warranty, so this gun will return to its maker for repair work. I'll keep you posted on how the company stands by its product.
"If a man breaks in your house, he ain't there for iced tea." Mom & Dad.

The NRA & TSRA are a bargain; they're much cheaper than the cold, dead hands experience.

txinvestigator
Posts in topic: 3

Post by txinvestigator »

No offense, but I would try to get your money back. Hi-point is on my "never buy" list.
*CHL Instructor*

"Speed is Fine, but accuracy is final"- Bill Jordan

Remember those who died, remember those who killed them.

Topic author
Venus Pax

Post by Venus Pax »

Why is it on your never-buy list?
I am asking out of curiosity. It may be something I should consider doing.
"If a man breaks in your house, he ain't there for iced tea." Mom & Dad.

The NRA & TSRA are a bargain; they're much cheaper than the cold, dead hands experience.

ea40ss
Posts in topic: 1

Post by ea40ss »

just curious, what kind of ammo were you shooting and how many were you able to shoot through it? And did it act up with both mags?

Hopefully the Co will pay for return shipping.

I'm no expert either, just curious.

Eric

ElGato

Post by ElGato »

txinvestigator wrote:No offense, but I would try to get your money back. Hi-point is on my "never buy" list.
:iagree:
http://www.tomestepshooting.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I'm better at retirement than anything I have ever tried. Me
Young People pratice to get better, Old folk's pratice to keep from getting WORSE. Me

Crossfire

Post by Crossfire »

ElGato wrote:
txinvestigator wrote:No offense, but I would try to get your money back. Hi-point is on my "never buy" list.
:iagree:
:iagree: :iagree:
Texas LTC Instructor, FFL, IdentoGO Fingerprinting Partner
http://www.Crossfire-Training.com

HighVelocity

Post by HighVelocity »

I have never owned a hi-point product but I have heard their customer service is pretty good.
If you cannot return it, I'd call hipoint Monday and see what they'll do for you.
I am scared of empty guns and keep mine loaded at all times. The family knows the guns are loaded and treats them with respect. Loaded guns cause few accidents; empty guns kill people every year. -Elmer Keith. 1961

Johnny

Post by Johnny »

There are two kinds of people: those who love hi-point (and own one) and those who hate hi-point (and have never owned one).

Aside from them being ugly as homemade soap, heavy enough to anchor a battleship, and as "ergonomic" as a cinder block, they're fine guns. For some reason, people think any gun you buy has to be a "premium" brand or it's trash. Hi-point makes a decent pistol, it just doesn't have much in the way of refinement.

Their service is excellent. You'll send it in, they'll redo the feed ramp (which seems to be the popular cure for feed problems), and you'll shoot off thousands and thousands of rounds without a problem. The warranty is absolute, 100%. If they made it and it broke, they'll fix it for free.

ElGato

Post by ElGato »

Johnny wrote:There are two kinds of people: those who love hi-point (and own one) and those who hate hi-point (and have never owned one).

Aside from them being ugly as homemade soap, heavy enough to anchor a battleship, and as "ergonomic" as a cinder block, they're fine guns. For some reason, people think any gun you buy has to be a "premium" brand or it's trash. Hi-point makes a decent pistol, it just doesn't have much in the way of refinement.

Their service is excellent. You'll send it in, they'll redo the feed ramp (which seems to be the popular cure for feed problems), and you'll shoot off thousands and thousands of rounds without a problem. The warranty is absolute, 100%. If they made it and it broke, they'll fix it for free.

Johnny, I'm sure you are right about their service, I just have a problem with a company that won't fix a reoccurring problem before the gun is sold.

There are some gun's that when I see them come on the line, I expect malfunctions and have a loaner ready, it's not always guns on the lower end of the price range.

I think most buyer's just resale the problem rather than sending it back.

It will cost you to send it back, on the range it could cost you on your score, on the street you could pay the highest price.

Tom
http://www.tomestepshooting.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I'm better at retirement than anything I have ever tried. Me
Young People pratice to get better, Old folk's pratice to keep from getting WORSE. Me

lrb111

Post by lrb111 »

Venus, when you say it won't cycle,,, do you mean it won't eject? or it ejects, and then jams on a new cartrdge feeding?

There are a couple of user fixable areas. One is just racking the slide so that the surfaces get a little wear. Another is on the lips of the magazines. They may be a little rough.

I have a couple of their .380s. Which is the same pistol, with only the cartridge size being different.

Here's a couple links for you.

http://home.columbus.rr.com/dzimmerm/hi ... aning.html

http://www.mkssupply.com/
Ø resist

Take away the second first, and the first is gone in a second.

NRA Life Member, TSRA, chl instructor

Paladin

Post by Paladin »

This thread reminds me of a story of a 'gangsta'-type that went out and bought a hi-point handgun.

He showed it off and all of his 'gangsta' friends on the street laughed at him and said the hi-point wouldn't work. So the 'gangsta' points the hi-point in the air and fires off a bunch of rounds.

Cops show up quickly and bust him for discharging the gun :cool:
JOIN NRA TODAY!, NRA Benefactor Life, TSRA Defender Life, Gun Owners of America Life, SAF, FPC, VCDL Member
LTC/SSC Instructor, NRA Certified Instructor, CRSO
The last hope of human liberty in this world rests on us. -Thomas Jefferson

Skiprr

Post by Skiprr »

Aside from them being ugly as homemade soap, heavy enough to anchor a battleship, and as "ergonomic" as a cinder block...
Okay. Johnny gets the point for "first post that made me laugh out loud today."

:cheers2:

txinvestigator
Posts in topic: 3

Post by txinvestigator »

Johnny wrote:There are two kinds of people: those who love hi-point (and own one) and those who hate hi-point (and have never owned one).
Not true at all. I know people who would not listen, purchased them, discovered they are junk and now hate them. Having worked at a gun range and being an instructor for several years, I have NEVER seen one that DID NOT malfunction.
Aside from them being ugly as homemade soap, heavy enough to anchor a battleship, and as "ergonomic" as a cinder block, they're fine guns.
Again, that is not my personal observation.
For some reason, people think any gun you buy has to be a "premium" brand or it's trash.
Again, not true. There are several tiers of firearms, all of which I have observed, but Hi Point IS in the trash level. .
Perhaps. We shall, hopefully, see.
*CHL Instructor*

"Speed is Fine, but accuracy is final"- Bill Jordan

Remember those who died, remember those who killed them.

KBCraig
Banned

Post by KBCraig »

Johnny wrote:The warranty is absolute, 100%. If they made it and it broke, they'll fix it for free.
I can't speak about the pistols. I've never shot one, but I've read lots of reports from people who say they work great, as intended (as a gun to keep in the tool or tackle box).

Their carbines serve a similar role. I know one collector who snaps up every trashed out beater Hi Point carbine he can find under $100. The warranty isn't limited to the original owner, and several times he's gotten back guns that were essentially new.

When a product really pushes the price envelope like the Hi Points do, it's not surprising that there are some lemons. Even in a "quality" brand like Kimber, we hear many reports by someone who coughed up the cabbage, then had to send it back multiple times, buy $50 aftermarket magazines, etc., to wind up with a reliable gun.

Kevin

flintknapper
Banned

Post by flintknapper »

txinvestigator wrote:
Not true at all. I know people who would not listen, purchased them, discovered they are junk and now hate them. Having worked at a gun range and being an instructor for several years, I have NEVER seen one that DID NOT malfunction.
Aside from them being ugly as homemade soap, heavy enough to anchor a battleship, and as "ergonomic" as a cinder block, they're fine guns.
Again, that is not my personal observation.
For some reason, people think any gun you buy has to be a "premium" brand or it's trash.
Again, not true. There are several tiers of firearms, all of which I have observed, but Hi Point IS in the trash level. .
Perhaps. We shall, hopefully, see.

So, are you saying you don't like Hi-Points? ;-)
Spartans ask not how many, but where!

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”