What's the Origin of Your User Name?

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

KBCraig
Banned
Posts in topic: 15

Post by KBCraig »

nitrogen wrote:I too remember when everything was run off 5.25 floppies and the like.
Rookie! How about 8" floppies, and cassette drives?

Or punch cards... :grin:

rodnocker1
Posts in topic: 1

Post by rodnocker1 »

I can remember when Windows first came out and I hated it with a passion. I was used to running Surveying programs in DOS and didn't take to well to change.

Oh yeah, my first name is Rodney and all of the guys I work with at the Mine started calling me Rodnocker. The 1 came in because I had joined another Forum using Rodnocker in a local community but when I tried to change to a global, it said that name was already taken, so I just added a 1.
Rodney

longtooth
Posts in topic: 52

Post by longtooth »

Just got reminded that I had not posted in this one so I needed to.
The expression "long in the tooth" is one that refers to age & is surpposed to include wisdom.
When I joined this forum this was my 1st one. I am getting older & hope that w/ the age comes a little wisdom to share with others.
LT
Carry 24-7 or guess right.
CHL Instructor. http://www.pdtraining.us" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
NRA/TSRA Life Member - TFC Member #11

Tote 9
Posts in topic: 7

Post by Tote 9 »

Mine is not too hard. 2 days before I took my test for CHL, I bought
the first pistol I had ever owned which was a 9mm auto. And I planned
to carry it. Since I have joined the forum I have bought a Kimber Eclipse
Pro 2 45 from Longtooth and I love it. I'm toteing it now, but guess I'll stay with Tote 9 since I have both.

GlockenHammer
Posts in topic: 2

Post by GlockenHammer »

GlockenHammer. I started my forum life shortly after purchasing my first gun, a Glock 19. I liked the ring of "glockenspiel" (no pun intended) and converted it using a gun term like "hammer".

OK, so I've worked on a computer that used a dot-matrix line printer with keyboard attached to a 300 baud modem you actually put the phone receiver into and called the "main computer" that was "downtown". Punch cards, monochrome monitors, 8" floppies all came after that for me.

Rookies.

GH

GlockenHammer

Post by GlockenHammer »

P.S. I actually had access to a working PDP11 that you programmed by flipping physical switches for each bit in memory, but I can't honestly say I used it for anything.

Topic author
bigolbigun
Posts in topic: 15

Post by bigolbigun »

Wow... thanks for all the responses so far. Makes for some very interesting reading. Just goes to show you why I like this forum so much, hands down the best and most honest bunch of folks on the net. No name calling, trash talking, or sudden expertisim here. Just good helpful information from person to person. Hat's off to Mr. Cotton for starting it, and to all of you for keeping it that way.

Bobby

quidni
Posts in topic: 3

Post by quidni »

"quid ni" is Latin for "why not".

There's a rambling, non-firearms-related story as to how that became my usual handle. Short version, Quidni is the name I gave to a ferret I adopted some years ago. Because of her, I got involved in animal rescue for a few years, and folks called me the "why not ferrets lady."

TSRA / NRA
KA5RLA
All guns have at least two safeties. One's digital, one's cognitive. In other words - keep the digit off the trigger until ready to fire, and THINK. Some guns also have mechanical safeties on top of those. But if the first two don't work, the mechanical ones aren't guaranteed. - me

carlson1
Posts in topic: 3

Post by carlson1 »

THE TRUTH: I am not computer savy and thought I had to use my REAL name. :oops: So, when I started on another forum there was another Carlson, so I added the one. I should have used TINY! ;-)

Roger Howard

Post by Roger Howard »

I just used my name because I'm VERY vocal about our 2nd amandment rights. I try and turn anti's every chance I get. This is the only forum I frequent on any regular basis and I don't care if anyone here knows who I am.
If guns kill people, then I can blame mispelled words on my pencil

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

age_ranger

Post by age_ranger »

I was an Aerospace Ground Equipment Tech. in the USAF. For some reason we were labeled AGE Rangers. I think it was from the wide variety of tasks we performed from maintenance to setting up DFP's. I was in for 10yrs and am only one of the 5000 AGE Rangers who now work in the field.

http://www.ageranger.com
http://www.berettaforum.net" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Just remember: Your very best thinking got you where you are now!!!

Lodge2004

Post by Lodge2004 »

When I first ventured into the world of cyberspace (ca 1994) the computer asked me for a "username". I didn't know what that was and looked around my desk for something to use. Hanging on the wall outside my kitchen were several iron utensils with "Lodge" printed on the back. From that point forward, I've tried to use Lodge + the year I joined whatever forum, i.e. Lodge2004.

longtooth
Posts in topic: 52

Post by longtooth »

quidni wrote:"quid ni" is Latin for "why not".

There's a rambling, non-firearms-related story as to how that became my usual handle. Short version, Quidni is the name I gave to a ferret I adopted some years ago. Because of her, I got involved in animal rescue for a few years, and folks called me the "why not ferrets lady."

Always thought yours was rather quaint & liked it. In your signature what is the quia?
Carry 24-7 or guess right.
CHL Instructor. http://www.pdtraining.us" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
NRA/TSRA Life Member - TFC Member #11

barres

Post by barres »

longtooth wrote:Always thought yours was rather quaint & liked it. In your signature what is the quia?
Just a guess from the explanation of her username, but I would guess "Quia" to mean something like, "because."
Remember, in a life-or-death situation, when seconds count, the police are only minutes away.

Barre

gregthehand

Post by gregthehand »

Interesting responses so far. I have gotten a lot of questions, and sometimes jokes about mine. I work in the oilfield and anyone who has worked there has heard the generic term for oilfield employees as "hands". As in supply hands, wireline hands, casing crew hands etc etc. Also when someone is good at their job people will say "He's a good hand" or just "He's a hand." My name is Greg, I work for NOV, I like to think I'm a good hand. Greg-the-hand. :coolgleamA:
My posts on this website are worth every cent you paid me for them.

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”