process of buying new gun????

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
scooter03
Posts in topic: 1

process of buying new gun????

Post by scooter03 »

Help, please, If I do not receieve my Plastic in the mail before I am ready to purchase my new pistol, what is the process of buying and how long does it usually take? Also if I buy at a show, how long do I have to wait and Can it be bought the same day?

Thank you all for your responses in advance. You all make it worth while to be here in this forum.

Scott
chl timeline
online status change 11-10-06 63 days
69 days, 2 hours, 37 minutes and 0 seconds

KinnyLee

Re: process of buying new gun????

Post by KinnyLee »

scooter03 wrote:Help, please, If I do not receieve my Plastic in the mail before I am ready to purchase my new pistol, what is the process of buying and how long does it usually take? Also if I buy at a show, how long do I have to wait and Can it be bought the same day?

Thank you all for your responses in advance. You all make it worth while to be here in this forum.

Scott
No process. You find the gun you want at the store. You tell them you want it. They do a background check on you. You pay for it. You walk out with it. Pretty much it.

stevie_d_64
Posts in topic: 3

Post by stevie_d_64 »

I recommend patience...If you can wait for the license to come in...You'll be able to purchase and walk out with it...

I never purchased a pistol on my own till I received my CHL...And that was back when the licenses first came out (about ten years ago)...I had a few firearms already to take care of things at my home, but I never carried outside the home till I got the "plastic"...

I would think, you'd still fall under waiting periods and other purchase restrictions...But honestly I have never had to deal with that at all...

Sorry if it's frustrating, and I know how you must feel...You'll get that plastic soon enough...

It'll get better...
"Perseverance and Preparedness triumph over Procrastination and Paranoia every time.” -- Steve
NRA - Life Member
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"
Μολών λαβέ!

jbirds1210

Post by jbirds1210 »

I believe that waiting periods for the most part are a thing of the past....if the initial instant check does not clear, there is a bit of a wait. I believe that the CHL just saves the dealer a phone call.
Jason
NRA Life Member
TSRA Life Member

"No man stands so tall as when he stoops to help a child."

seamusTX
Posts in topic: 6

Post by seamusTX »

The only thing to add is that you need a Texas photo ID to purchase a handgun from a dealer.

The vast majority of buyers pass the NICS check immediately. When people have trouble, it's usually because some bad guy shares your name and birth date. Then it can take three business days to work out.

- Jim

oilman

Re: process of buying new gun????

Post by oilman »

KinnyLee wrote:
scooter03 wrote:Help, please, If I do not receieve my Plastic in the mail before I am ready to purchase my new pistol, what is the process of buying and how long does it usually take? Also if I buy at a show, how long do I have to wait and Can it be bought the same day?

Scott
No process. You find the gun you want at the store. You tell them you want it. They do a background check on you. You pay for it. You walk out with it. Pretty much it.
That's all it took for me.

stevie_d_64

Post by stevie_d_64 »

I kinda thought folks were still required to wait to take possession of a purchased firearm (handgun)...Even with that instant check...

Long guns and shotguns I thought are still a buy and fly issue...But thats not the deal here...

I'm just glad I don't have to deal with that these days...

I just know how some must feel when they have to wait...I don't like that...
"Perseverance and Preparedness triumph over Procrastination and Paranoia every time.” -- Steve
NRA - Life Member
Μολών λαβέ!

seamusTX

Post by seamusTX »

stevie_d_64 wrote:I kinda thought folks were still required to wait to take possession of a purchased firearm (handgun)...Even with that instant check...
Not in Texas. Some states have waiting periods. I know California does

- Jim

Crossfire

Post by Crossfire »

Scooter - In Texas, if you are buying from a licensed dealer, whether a retail establishment or a gun show, you need a Texas driver's license or other photo ID that proves residence in Texas. You cannot buy a handgun out of state.

You fill out the Form 4473, and the dealer calls NICS (National Instant Check System) for an approval. You either get an "OK", and you buy the gun now and take it with you, or you get a "Delay" which means your name is in the database and they need more time to check on it (can be 15 minutes, but up to 3 days) or you get a "Denied" meaning they know who you are and you aren't getting a gun today, or any other day.

If you are buying from an individual at a gun show (or any other time), then you just exchange money for gun and go about your merry way.

The only thing a CHL buys you is that you bypass NICS. Since you have already passed the FBI background check for your CHL, they don't have to call.
Texas LTC Instructor, FFL, IdentoGO Fingerprinting Partner
http://www.Crossfire-Training.com

cyphur

Post by cyphur »

As luck would have it, your ID also has to reflect your current residence. I had just moved and tried to buy a handgun, but could not, because my DL was not current. It hadn't been current for years because I was active duty, but I suddenly found a good reason for it to be current....

Now I have the plastic, so I won't even have to wait for NICS for the next handgun purchase.

DustinB
Posts in topic: 2

Post by DustinB »

I bought my first handgun from academy Oct 6th and walked out with it in 15min. Well, wasn't my first handgun, but the first one I purchased. My dad also bought one at the gun show yesterday, walked out in 15 min as well. Delayed is very unlikely if the dealer doesn't do something dumb like not give them your social security number. (Happened to my dad once) If it comes back denied you won't be eligible for a CHL anyway, so if you want the gun now, which you should be practicing with before you carry it, then go ahead and go find what you want. 15 min and you will be out the door.

Popshot

Post by Popshot »

Waiting period! What waiting period? I have purchased handguns prior to getting my CHL this year. Each time, I filled out the paperwork, so I assume they did the background check. Once I paid for the items, I left the store with the new machine!

Enjoy the shopping for your handgun! :grin:
Gun control = hitting where you aim

seamusTX

Post by seamusTX »

Popshot wrote:Waiting period! What waiting period?
There was a waiting period in the 1990s. Probably a lot of people think there still is.

It's kind of funny. I've run into people who think you can buy firearms like penny candy, and others who think a license is required (which it is in some states).

- Jim

stevie_d_64

Post by stevie_d_64 »

Like I said, I thought there was (in certain situations)...But since I got da plastic I don't keep up with that particular issue...So obviously I was not sure...

I like having people who can buy and fly without any hassles...That the way it should be...

Those who shouldn't, shouldn't try...period...
NRA - Life Member
Μολών λαβέ!

DustinB
Posts in topic: 2

Post by DustinB »

I think they should make a law requiring a background check on any pistol at gun shows, not just a new one. God knows how many felons have bought them that way.

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”