What makes a person a good shot?

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

j1132s
Posts in topic: 2

Post by j1132s »

HOSSISFREE wrote:
If you want to know what kind of shot you are try the Texas Stars out at PSC. I tried it on the TCHLforum day, and found out how bad a shot I truly am. Meanwhile, I can punch out the center of any target standing still and shooting a still target.

Hoss
I've seen the videos from the CHLForum day of folks shooting the Texas stars; I also looked up texas star on the internet. It looks like a lot of fun. I missed this years forum day.

Does it move in a full circle? Or does it just swing like a pendulum?

From the videos, it doesn't look too fast, but it probably look different in person. Can't you just sight in and not move until it swings by again ? Or do you have to chase and lead it?

I'd love to try it, but don't have access to one. I train speed by using multiple targets and snap my eyes; it would seem this type of fast target acquisition may be beneficial to the Texas stars?

Boy, now I really want to shoot a Texas star.

flintknapper
Banned
Posts in topic: 1

Post by flintknapper »

j1132s wrote:
HOSSISFREE wrote:
If you want to know what kind of shot you are try the Texas Stars out at PSC. I tried it on the TCHLforum day, and found out how bad a shot I truly am. Meanwhile, I can punch out the center of any target standing still and shooting a still target.

Hoss
I've seen the videos from the CHLForum day of folks shooting the Texas stars; I also looked up texas star on the internet. It looks like a lot of fun. I missed this years forum day.

From the videos, it doesn't look too fast, but it probably look different in person. Can't you just sight in and not move until it swings by again ? Or do you have to chase and lead it?

I'd love to try it, but don't have access to one. I train speed by using multiple targets and snap my eyes; it would seem this type of fast target acquisition may be beneficial to the Texas stars?

The "Texas Star" is pretty challenging at first. Some clubs require you to shoot it in a certain sequence, others not. After awhile you'll get to where you can "clean it" pretty well.

Heres an example:
http://www.krtraining.com/IPSC/Matches/2001/TxStar.mpg
Spartans ask not how many, but where!

seamusTX

Post by seamusTX »

j1132s wrote:I've seen the videos from the CHLForum day of folks shooting the Texas stars; ... Does it move in a full circle? Or does it just swing like a pendulum?
It swings like a pendulum, but pretty fast. It's easy to lose your head and waste a whole mag on it.

- Jim

Topic author
Tote 9
Posts in topic: 8

Post by Tote 9 »

Hoss Wrote

Hoss[/quote]

Tell me more, what is Texas Stars and where is it.

GlockenHammer

Post by GlockenHammer »

Tote 9 wrote:Tell me more, what is Texas Stars and where is it.
Check out the "after action reports" forum, especially this linkwhich has a video.

The TX stars is a wheel with 5 plates. As you shoot a plate, it falls off. this changes the balance of the remaining plates and the wheel begins to spin under the force of gravity making it harder to hit the remaining plates. When you do hit another one, the balance and spin changes again. Devilish little contraption...

jimlongley
Posts in topic: 3

Post by jimlongley »

j1132s wrote:
HOSSISFREE wrote:

Hoss

Having been a victim of the Texas Star several times now, I can tell you that if you shoot it wrong, it WILL go full circle, and FAST.

I have cleaned it twice, five shots - five plates, once by pure luck with a handgun, and once with a shotgun.
Real gun control, carrying 24/7/365

Topic author
Tote 9
Posts in topic: 8

Post by Tote 9 »

GlockenHammer wrote:
Tote 9 wrote:Tell me more, what is Texas Stars and where is it.
Check out the "after action reports" forum, especially this linkwhich has a video.

The TX stars is a wheel with 5 plates. As you shoot a plate, it falls off. this changes the balance of the remaining plates and the wheel begins to spin under the force of gravity making it harder to hit the remaining plates. When you do hit another one, the balance and spin changes again. Devilish little contraption...

Thanks for the link. It is a great video. I downloaded it to my video player files. Iwould like to shoot the Texas Star. Next year Longtooth
and I plan to attend the CHLforum day.

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”