Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
TLynnHughes
Posts in topic: 3

Fear of Guns - A Success Story (Update)

Post by TLynnHughes »

I have the best “feel good” story.

My son has been dating a girl for about 7 months now. When they first started dating, my son let us know that she was terrified of guns. I don’t know the details but she had been witness to one ND (no one was hurt) and had another negative experience of some sort. On one of the first visits to our house, I had just purchased my little P238 in Rainbow Titanium. If you haven’t seen it, it could best be described as a girl gun. She was ok with looking at it, but absolutely did not want to touch it. In fact she turned visibly pale when I asked her.

This could have become a problem in a family like ours. But she decided that she was determined to overcome the fear.

Several months later, the family got together at PSC. She was going to join us just to watch. Imagine my surprise when my son showed up alone. At the last minute, she just couldn’t bring herself to do it.

Over the next few months, my son worked with her. Gradually bringing his own handgun out, breaking it down, letting her hold it as she felt ready. I'm really proud of his patience with her, understanding her fear and working with her to overcome it. Last month, she came to our house and we got out several of the firearms and taught her about them, reiterating the safety rules. With williamkevin’s guidance, she took apart one of the M&Ps by herself and asked questions. She was still visibly nervous but you could see the determination in her face.

She came to PSC with us last Sunday. We set up targets. She summoned up her courage while hubby, son and I did some warm-ups and drills. Finally she thought she was ready. I walked her to her own target with our little Walther .22 and took her through the steps. She was shaking so hard, but she DID IT! She fired the gun! I was so proud of her and so impressed at her strength and determination.

Before the day was over, she fired the Walther a couple of more times and then decided she was ready to shoot the M&P9. Not only did she overcome her fear but now she likes shooting. We’re anticipating that she’ll be in front of an IDPA target before it’s all over. So we have another shooter among us in the great State of Texas.

T.
Last edited by TLynnHughes on Sat Jul 09, 2011 8:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Women's Program Match Director
PSC Shooting Club, Inc.

"I would like to see every woman know how to handle firearms as naturally as they know how to handle babies." -- Annie Oakley

WildBill
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Fear of Guns - A Success Story

Post by WildBill »

TLynnHughes wrote:I have the best “feel good” story.

Before the day was over, she fired the Walther a couple of more times and then decided she was ready to shoot the M&P9. Not only did she overcome her fear but now she likes shooting. We’re anticipating that she’ll be in front of an IDPA target before it’s all over. So we have another shooter among us in the great State of Texas. T.
Great story. It shows what can happen when "non-gun people" are encouraged to proceed at their own speed and do what they are comfortable with.
NRA Endowment Member

Heartland Patriot

Post by Heartland Patriot »

That was a great success story. However, it still boggles my mind to think that someone could actually be afraid of a firearm that is just laying there. I'm no tough guy, I promise. If someone points a firearm at me and I have even the slightest reason to think it might be loaded, yeah, I'm going to be afraid. But laying there, it could be full of ammo and nothing can happen if someone doesn't pull the trigger. Anyway, thank you for reminding us that not everyone thinks of firearms the way we do and for doing such a great job at educating someone like that.

WildBill

Post by WildBill »

Heartland Patriot wrote:That was a great success story. However, it still boggles my mind to think that someone could actually be afraid of a firearm that is just laying there.
A person's fears are not always rational. Some people are afraid of spiders and snakes and clowns.
NRA Endowment Member

BobCat
Posts in topic: 1

Post by BobCat »

She sounds like someone with enough strength, determination, and courage to surmount whatever obstacle is in her way. Definitely someone to take seriously.

People can have irrational fears of all kinds of things. Fear of "guns" is encouraged by the mainstream media and popular culture. She recognized that her fear was grounded in prejudice (look at the root of the word - pre + judge = making a judgment without data) and decided her self respect, and her relationship with your son, was worth focusing her effort on overcoming.

I know many people who have the same irrational fear of simple math that this woman had of guns. She, at least, triumphed over her fear.

Regards,
Andrew
Retractable claws; the *original* concealed carry

A-R

Post by A-R »

TLynn, WK, your son, and especially the young lady ....

:tiphat:

Well done :thumbs2:

cougartex

Post by cougartex »

Great story. :tiphat:
Cougars are shy, reclusive, and downright mysterious... :txflag:

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

WildBill wrote:
Heartland Patriot wrote:That was a great success story. However, it still boggles my mind to think that someone could actually be afraid of a firearm that is just laying there.
A person's fears are not always rational. Some people are afraid of spiders and snakes and clowns.
My mother survived the Nazi occupation. She hates guns with a passion because, to her, they represent an instrument of oppression. It never occurs to her that these same implements, in the hands of Allied soldiers, were the instruments of her liberation. But as with a lot of hard core liberals from academia, her fears and her beliefs are irrational.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Keith B

Post by Keith B »

WildBill wrote:
Some clowns are creepy looking, especially from some of those horror movies. :shock: Never seen a creepy looking gun though; they're all BEE-U-TEEE-FULL!!! :mrgreen:

And, tlynn, great job on winning her over on firearms. I have helped a few people get over their fear of firearms over the years. It is a great feeling. :thumbs2:

One of the latest that I was able to help get more comfortable lost her brother when he was 16 to a ND of her father's handgun. :banghead: She was now about 30 years older and her husband wanted a gun in the house for protection. She has grandkids and was afraid they would get it and hurt themselves. I was able to reassure her through shooting and handling the firearm that she was always in control, and that as long as she or her husband kept that control or had it locked in the safe there was no way the grandkids would get hurt. By the end of the shooting session she was way more comfortable with the gun and a lot more at ease about it being in the house.
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

Saturday a week ago, The Annoyed Boy and The Annoyed Fiancé invited us to dinner to meet his Annoyed In-Laws for the first time. They know that my son is a gun owner and shooter, and it appears that they know that I bought my son and his girlfriend their CHL class for a Christmas present. So... guns came up during the course of dinner, and it turns out that her dad owns a Ruger 9mm which stands guard over the contents of the underwear drawer.

It turns out that he has taken his wife to the range once and tried to teach her to shoot the 9mm, but she was intimidated by the recoil, didn't like the experience, and never went again. Then my son and I both described how we have taken several women to the range and taught them to shoot, starting with a .22, and then working their way up - never moving to the next caliber until they are confident with the one they're shooting.

So she begged us to take her to the range! I REALLY hope my son marries this girl, because her parents are peaches. We got along famously at our first meeting. This is going to be a great thing.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

QB

Post by QB »

Great story and congratulations to her.

Heartland Patriot said "it still boggles my mind to think that someone could actually be afraid of a firearm that is just laying there."

Well wait until you hear this one: once an ex-friend of mine found out I liked and had guns and a concealed carry license, during a discussion on day she said that she was more afraid of CHLers than criminals with guns because the criminals knew how to use them better and wouldn't accidently shoot someone!!!!! :eek6

There was nothing I could say to sway her from that position (and I really should have realized that I shouldn't even try because this person was not capable of logical thinking). But it did help me realize that this person was not someone I wanted to be around.

I still can't believe that anyone else on this earth could think what she thought.
"You may find me one day dead in a ditch somewhere. But by God, you'll find me in a pile of brass."~~ Tpr. M. Padgett

Skiprr

Post by Skiprr »

Excellent, excellent story. Thank you, TLynn.
The Annoyed Man wrote:The Annoyed Boy and The Annoyed Fiancé invited us to dinner to meet his Annoyed In-Laws for the first time.
And you...you're a hoot. I really want you to write your memoirs, if for no other reason just to see what you title the tome. ;-)
Join the NRA or upgrade your membership today. Support the Texas Firearms Coalition and subscribe to the Podcast.
I’ve contacted my State Rep, Gary Elkins, about co-sponsoring HB560. Have you contacted your Rep?
NRA Benefactor Life Member

Heartland Patriot

Post by Heartland Patriot »

QB wrote:Great story and congratulations to her.

Heartland Patriot said "it still boggles my mind to think that someone could actually be afraid of a firearm that is just laying there."

Well wait until you hear this one: once an ex-friend of mine found out I liked and had guns and a concealed carry license, during a discussion on day she said that she was more afraid of CHLers than criminals with guns because the criminals knew how to use them better and wouldn't accidently shoot someone!!!!! :eek6

There was nothing I could say to sway her from that position (and I really should have realized that I shouldn't even try because this person was not capable of logical thinking). But it did help me realize that this person was not someone I wanted to be around.

I still can't believe that anyone else on this earth could think what she thought.
Wow, just when you think you've heard it all...I'm pretty sure it will take quite a while to hear one to top that...the other replies talking about fear of firearms had some sort of rationale to them (war, a deadly ND), but this one? Boggles the mind, indeed.

Topic author
TLynnHughes
Posts in topic: 3

Post by TLynnHughes »

I have an update to the story....

Since the original post, my son's girlfriend became my son's wife...and I couldn't be happier. :lol:

And, we're taking her to the range again today at her request. She has decided that she would like to get her CHL. So we're going to work with her and get her comfortable with completing the CHL course of fire and handling a firearm in general.

I told her that she was going to want to start shooting IDPA before too long. She said she could totally see that happening. :thumbs2:

I am so proud of her....and my son!

T.
Women's Program Match Director
PSC Shooting Club, Inc.

"I would like to see every woman know how to handle firearms as naturally as they know how to handle babies." -- Annie Oakley

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”