Democrats - Are we going to loose our 2A rights now?

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

DaveT
Posts in topic: 2

Post by DaveT »

Lots of speculation already..... and that's all it is.

MANY Democrats are pro-gun, myself included.

Don't think the Dem's are ready to take on the NRA again, they got burned the last time they tried.
Last edited by DaveT on Fri Nov 10, 2006 8:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

KBCraig
Banned
Posts in topic: 3

Post by KBCraig »

cyphur wrote:If they try to take our guns, Texas needs to leave the union. I'd stay in Texas then - unless Colorado secceeds as well.
Vermont and New Hampshire have a good headstart on secession, with vocal secessionist groups in both states (and a couple of VT towns have already voted to secede from VT, and join NH, to be part of the new Indian Stream Republic). Google "Second Vermont Revolution", and "Indian Stream Republic" to learn more.

OR, I'll move to Switzerland and join their citizen army.
Good luck with that. Emigrating to Switzerland isn't quite as easy as wading the Rio Grande. They have some of the toughest immigration laws in Europe.

Kevin

Liberty
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Liberty »

KBCraig wrote: Seems to have worked just fine in California.

First, they created a broad, vague, definition of "assault weapon", then required them to be registered.

And then they banned them. No grandfathering: either sell them out of state, or turn them in.

If there is a new version of the AWB, don't expect that it will look like the old one. They'll be sure to plug the "loopholes" they screamed about, and there won't be any guarantee of keeping existing guns.

Kevin
Its not going to happen in our Federal Government, at least not with this bunch. What happened in this election isn't as dramatic as the talking heads are making it to be. This is a modest power shift, not a take over. Texas will continue to make progress in furthering our 2nd ammendment causes.

This term's Congress while was not taken over by a bunch of Bradyist. Yes some of the crazy leftist are still there, and it looks like one of the extremist might even be speaker of the house. The new democrats tend to be yellow dog type Democrats. They won't even be close to having a consensus to do something as radical actually taking guns away.

I fully expect that this crowd in Washington will do absolutely nothing to further our 2nd ammendment rights, but then that last bunch of Republican louts didn't do much for us either. It may be possible that they might create another import ban, but all that did was make collector pieces out of some cheap imported junk.

Some individual states might try cracking down on gun owners. New York in particular. Other more enlightened states will just continue in their progress in pursuing 2nd Amendment freedoms. Relax, its going to be all right, most of us can't afford Swiss real Estate anyway.

Diode
Posts in topic: 4

Post by Diode »

Well put Liberty. :grin:

stevie_d_64
Posts in topic: 7

Post by stevie_d_64 »

Liberty wrote:...Relax, its going to be all right...
I would tend to lean this way as well...

But I am not going to think of it the way "Clayton Williams" would on this...That would be political and social suicide...

"If" another AWB bubble floats up...I am sure that it'll come up fast and sleek, and on the heels of some incident...We need to be ready, and willing to put forth the appropriate level of fight on that as I know we will...And pull no punches...

If we can make this and anything else go the way of the Dodo bird, fine...But if it looks like it'll pass and be signed :grumble , I hope we have the pull to get a sunset clause put in for 4-6 years...

None of this 10 year crap...That way we can force it again to come up as an election issue, with possible a large section of the crew that voted for the abomination...

I'm not burying nothing! The time some think its necessary to do that, maybe its time to keep them handy...

I'm such a rebel...
"Perseverance and Preparedness triumph over Procrastination and Paranoia every time.” -- Steve
NRA - Life Member
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"
Μολών λαβέ!

txinvestigator

Post by txinvestigator »

Liberty wrote:
KBCraig wrote: Seems to have worked just fine in California.

First, they created a broad, vague, definition of "assault weapon", then required them to be registered.

And then they banned them. No grandfathering: either sell them out of state, or turn them in.

If there is a new version of the AWB, don't expect that it will look like the old one. They'll be sure to plug the "loopholes" they screamed about, and there won't be any guarantee of keeping existing guns.

Kevin
Its not going to happen in our Federal Government, at least not with this bunch. What happened in this election isn't as dramatic as the talking heads are making it to be. This is a modest power shift, not a take over. Texas will continue to make progress in furthering our 2nd ammendment causes.

This term's Congress while was not taken over by a bunch of Bradyist. Yes some of the crazy leftist are still there, and it looks like one of the extremist might even be speaker of the house. The new democrats tend to be yellow dog type Democrats. They won't even be close to having a consensus to do something as radical actually taking guns away.

I fully expect that this crowd in Washington will do absolutely nothing to further our 2nd ammendment rights, but then that last bunch of Republican louts didn't do much for us either. It may be possible that they might create another import ban, but all that did was make collector pieces out of some cheap imported junk.

Some individual states might try cracking down on gun owners. New York in particular. Other more enlightened states will just continue in their progress in pursuing 2nd Amendment freedoms. Relax, its going to be all right, most of us can't afford Swiss real Estate anyway.
+1

And to clarify, the former Assault Weapons Ban did not ban the sale of AR15's. It only banned the sale of new AR15's that had 'evil' features. So if it had a detachable magazine and pistol grip, then you could not have a collapsible stock, flash suppressor, bayonet lug, etc.

And with the Dems regaining both house and senate, my concern is in obtaining ammunition, solidifying my family emergency plan, etc, preparing for the future attacks our country is bound to see now.
*CHL Instructor*

"Speed is Fine, but accuracy is final"- Bill Jordan

Remember those who died, remember those who killed them.

John

Post by John »

Call me dumb, but I still believe Bush only said he would sign an AWB because he knew Delay would never let it get to him. I think at this point he probably would veto such a measure.
JohnC

cyphur

Post by cyphur »

The comment about emigrating to Swizterland was a joke - I'm more interested in the Pacific anyway :)

I am already laying out some purchases over the next 12 months to ensure that whatever they try to eek through, I'll be ready.

John

Post by John »

txinvestigator wrote: And with the Dems regaining both house and senate, my concern is in obtaining ammunition, solidifying my family emergency plan, etc, preparing for the future attacks our country is bound to see now.
Oh I don't know... I suspect any day now, or at least by January, we will be hearing how peachy keen every thing is in Iraq now that the Democrats are in charge. But we will still have troops there and will have for a very long time. The 800 pound gorilla is now and will continue to be, the fact that we are fighting terror over there instead of here. The media will spin thanks to the democrats for protecting us. We won't be seeing death tolls every day and constant negative news coverage. Watch! But what about Iran and Korea? hmmm...
JohnC

stevie_d_64
Posts in topic: 7

Post by stevie_d_64 »

John wrote:Oh I don't know... I suspect any day now, or at least by January, we will be hearing how peachy keen every thing is in Iraq now that the Democrats are in charge.
Very astute observation!!!

The "bad" news coming out of Iraq will undoubtably be spun into good at first, then it'll pretty much be sugar-coated...The insurgency will be reported to be nulified, and the troop levels be reduced...

I don't see an appreciable troop pull-out (cut and run) before Jan. '09...

But I predict a "victory" will be announced in Oct. '08 (October Surprise), and that it'll be because of the liberal way of dealing with this Iraq "thing"...

It'll be a lie from here to Christmas...Which reminds me to buy another case of ammo...

Steve hops off the soapbox now...Thank goodness!!!
"Perseverance and Preparedness triumph over Procrastination and Paranoia every time.” -- Steve
NRA - Life Member
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"
Μολών λαβέ!

Diode

Post by Diode »

While you guys are making me laugh out loud here at work, it is a very sad but true analisys. Don't forget to return to this thread and see your predictions come true. BTW is my Yugo SKS considered an assualt rifle? :cool:

The Marshal
Posts in topic: 1

Post by The Marshal »

Diode wrote:BTW is my Yugo SKS considered an assualt rifle? :cool:
Does it look like a rifle, and shoot more than 1 bullet at a time?

:roll:

Put a monte carlo stock, and you should be good.
Dress it up like mine with a Dragunov stock, with 20 rnd detachable, and you are now an 'evil gun owner'.

I like the idea of loading up on ammo...

~Bill

John

Post by John »

Diode wrote: BTW is my Yugo SKS considered an assualt rifle? :cool:

Not if you plug the barrel, remove the firing pin and plug the channel and take the bolt out and destroy it and paint the tip fluorescent pink and then bury the whole thing in the back yard. You should be safe then from having an assualt rifle. :twisted:
JohnC

Diode

Post by Diode »

John wrote:
Diode wrote: BTW is my Yugo SKS considered an assualt rifle? :cool:

Not if you plug the barrel, remove the firing pin and plug the channel and take the bolt out and destroy it and paint the tip fluorescent pink and then bury the whole thing in the back yard. You should be safe then from having an assualt rifle. :twisted:
As long as I get to keep it, :roll:

MikeJ
Posts in topic: 3

Post by MikeJ »

In a VDARE.com column, Paul Craig Roberts wrote, "The Democrats clearly have no mandate for their pet issues of gun control, homosexual marriage, and higher taxes..."

To me, that seems a lot like saying, "My dog clearly has no mandate to lick his genitals." The dog doesn't care whether he has a mandate or not. Licking his genitals is part of his nature. So it is with Democrats. In or out of office, it's their nature to do their level best to confiscate your weapons, raise your taxes, and force you to lick their genitals. This was particularly true of the last Democratic president. :smile:

I discount David Kopel's reports of pro-gun Democrats. The phrase is an oxymoron. In any case, the Democratic leadership is vehemently anti-gun, and God only knows how much stuff has slipped into the U.S. Code without ever having been put to a vote.

I think I need to acquire some more eeeeeevil :evil: weapons before January 3.
"Never send a man where you can send a bullet." - Winston Churchill in A Roving Commission

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”