multiple gunshot wound survivor in Sao Paulo

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
yerasimos
Posts in topic: 1

multiple gunshot wound survivor in Sao Paulo

Post by yerasimos »

The LORD was looking out for this young lady.
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/15684970/
What lessons can we draw from this?

Venus Pax

Post by Venus Pax »

What can we learn from this?

This is not an attack on the men, but I think we women can learn something from this:
Don't wait for trouble to start in your life before you start thinking about your personal safety. Start learning to protect yourself BEFORE you are faced with a possessive ex-husband/boyfriend, BEFORE you deal with a stalker, and BEFORE a rapist finds you attractive.
Often, women are attacked when they have no time to prepare. Attacks often come without warnings given ahead of time. Having to wait six to eight weeks for a permit could cost you dearly. Be pro-active. Not only will it help you for the future, should you ever need it, but it does much for your confidence now.
"If a man breaks in your house, he ain't there for iced tea." Mom & Dad.

The NRA & TSRA are a bargain; they're much cheaper than the cold, dead hands experience.

HighVelocity

Post by HighVelocity »

The Lord definitely has something else in mind for this young lady.
I am scared of empty guns and keep mine loaded at all times. The family knows the guns are loaded and treats them with respect. Loaded guns cause few accidents; empty guns kill people every year. -Elmer Keith. 1961

Skiprr
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Skiprr »

What Venus said.

Here's a link to the story at CNN: http://www.cnn.com/2006/WORLD/americas/ ... index.html

She was shot with a .32, and not one of the six shots penetrated her skull. It may be a minor miracle, but we can also take away a lesson about stopping power. If you need to defend your life, you'll want something with enough of a power floor to do it effectively and efficiently.

Boma

Post by Boma »

I thought even 22's could penetrate a skull?

Brazilian women have thick skulls!

lrb111

Post by lrb111 »

:iagree: What Venus said.
I've often thought there should/could be an emergency CHL, but I doubt we will ever see it.
"Be prepared", is about all there is.
Ø resist

Take away the second first, and the first is gone in a second.

NRA Life Member, TSRA, chl instructor

Lucky45

Post by Lucky45 »

Those bullets had to have old or wet gunpowder or maybe reloads.

Logic states
1. that anybody's skull can be penetrated.
2. Projectiles fired from a gun normally travels at a high velocity.
3. For high velocity, the bullet needs correct propellant (gunpowder)explosion in the cartridge.

Therefore those bullets that were fired, weren't travelling fast enough to penetrate her skull. Just like throwing ball bearings.

Not to self:
Change out personal defence cartridges every couple months. Buy NEW!!

Question to everyone.
How many of you do change out your bullets and how often?

Paladin

Post by Paladin »

Lucky45 wrote:Question to everyone.
How many of you do change out your bullets and how often?
Excellent question.

I change mine out once per year. I consider that a minimum.
JOIN NRA TODAY!, NRA Benefactor Life, TSRA Defender Life, Gun Owners of America Life, SAF, FPC, VCDL Member
LTC/SSC Instructor, NRA Certified Instructor, CRSO
The last hope of human liberty in this world rests on us. -Thomas Jefferson

Skiprr

Post by Skiprr »

Lucky45: Absolutely.

This woman has her life to thank for bad ammo. No other explanation. I hope the triggerman gets everything thrown at him that can be.

I swap ammo every four months or so. Not anything conscious; I just cycle through my defensive rounds once in a while at the range. Ammo stored under central air-conditioned environments should have a much longer shelf life. But I handle my defensive rounds during the intervening months: I unload a couple of magazines to go shoot FMJ at the range, then reload the mags with the defensive rounds. The handling gets body oils and acids on the brass and bullets. May be no big deal, but better safe than sorry. Besides, I want to cycle some defensive rounds fairly regularly, anyway.

KBCraig
Banned

Post by KBCraig »

For starters, she was shot with a ".32", but we don't know ".32 what". Could have been a really low-powered revolver round with LRN bullets. In that case, it wouldn't be surprising that they wouldn't penetrate the skull. A .22 LR has greater muzzle energy and is more narrowly focused.

Kevion

Lucky45

Post by Lucky45 »

KBCraig wrote:
For starters, she was shot with a ".32", but we don't know ".32 what". Could have been a really low-powered revolver round with LRN bullets

HUH?!!!? Does it matter? A bullet is designed to do one thing. "Penetrate a target."

Even .007 is licensed to kill.

KBCraig
Banned

Post by KBCraig »

Lucky45 wrote:
KBCraig wrote:
For starters, she was shot with a ".32", but we don't know ".32 what". Could have been a really low-powered revolver round with LRN bullets

HUH?!!!? Does it matter? A bullet is designed to do one thing. "Penetrate a target."

Even .007 is licensed to kill.
Obviously it does matter, since these didn't penetrate.

Sometimes the "target" is paper. Sometimes it's soft tissue. Should an M1A1 Abrams roll over and play dead because you hit it with a .25?

GlockenHammer

Post by GlockenHammer »

Head shots....

* Glancing shots, even with a .45 ACP, can ricochet instead of penetrate.
* A .22 lr will penetrate the skull when entering at a right angle.
* Parts of the "head" do not contain vitals (e.g., cheeks, jaws, etc.) The actual target size when shooting at a head is smaller than you might think.

Modern ammo (from the last 60 years or so) does not degrade with age (certainly not in a month or year) with nominal storage environment.

longtooth

Post by longtooth »

Venus Pax wrote:What can we learn from this?

This is not an attack on the men, but I think we women can learn something from this:
Don't wait for trouble to start in your life before you start thinking about your personal safety. Start learning to protect yourself BEFORE you are faced with a possessive ex-husband/boyfriend, BEFORE you deal with a stalker, and BEFORE a rapist finds you attractive.
Often, women are attacked when they have no time to prepare. Attacks often come without warnings given ahead of time. Having to wait six to eight weeks for a permit could cost you dearly. Be pro-active. Not only will it help you for the future, should you ever need it, but it does much for your confidence now.
VP this is good advice for men as well as women. Matter of fact good for children. They should practice saying "NO" too. Practice screaming "you are not my Daddy" grab a tree, stop sign post, dont turn loose of bicycle...
BE PREPARED does wonders for ladies confidence.
When my Mother learned to shoot that was the first thing she said. I have more confidence that I can face an incident before reaching for a gun is legal.
Carry 24-7 or guess right.
CHL Instructor. http://www.pdtraining.us" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
NRA/TSRA Life Member - TFC Member #11

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”