I want a trp but i'm skeptical.

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
lowonair
Posts in topic: 1

I want a trp but i'm skeptical.

Post by lowonair »

I've been kicking around the idea of getting a springfield armory trp. I've always wanted one but i have a few questions. Are they very reliable? I've always heard they were but i'm sure there are people that have experienced otherwise. I had a springfield 1911 years ago but it just wasn't reliable. It was the loaded combat model in black and stainless. I loved it but didn't trust it. How durable is the finish on these? I want a 1911 that i can take shooting and have fun with it, not treat it like a safe queen and spend the session clearing malfunctions. What is a good price on these?

gigag04

Re: I want a trp but i'm skeptical.

Post by gigag04 »

I see them between $1200-$1600. For that kind of coin I'd opt for an STI
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

witchdoctor575
Posts in topic: 2

Post by witchdoctor575 »

trp's are suppose to be a fine pistol. as with any firearm, there is the possibility of getting a problem child. but if you want one that bad, go for it. I personally spend my hard earned money on dan wessons, but I would not throw rocks at a TRP.

Pete92FS

Post by Pete92FS »

gigag04 wrote:I see them between $1200-$1600. For that kind of coin I'd opt for an STI
:iagree: For that kind of money I think I would go with STI.
CHL since 01/26/09

shipwreck

Post by shipwreck »

I have owned MANY various Springfield 1911s over the years.

All worked 100%.

I just sold an Ed Brown this past weekend, but I still have my Springfield Custom SHop 1911. At this point in time, the feel of the Springers and the shape of their grip safety is my fav. Granted, their custom shop guns are much nicer than the standard production models. But, i"ll probably only buy Springfields in the future, over Browns and Nighthawks... I may pick up a Professional one of these days...

KinnyLee

Post by KinnyLee »

If I have the coin, I would buy one. If it doesn't function properly after around 500rds, I would talk to SA and have to fix the problem. They are typically awesome when it comes to customer service.

E150GT

Post by E150GT »

I dont own one, but my brother does and I used it to qualify for my CHL. That is one fine pistol, and I know he has never had a problem with it and neither have I. I know it runs fine on FMJ, but I am not sure if he has ever put HP rounds in it, as its not carried. If I had the cash to spend on a pistol, it would probably be on a TRP.

Texas Dan Mosby

Post by Texas Dan Mosby »

Pete92FS wrote:
gigag04 wrote:I see them between $1200-$1600. For that kind of coin I'd opt for an STI
:iagree: For that kind of money I think I would go with STI.
Absolutely.

STI makes a great gun, supports and sponsors shooting sports (USPSA, IDPA), and is a Texas company.

STI is the way to go imo.
88 day wait for the state to approve my constitutional right to bear arms...

CJATE

Post by CJATE »

I dig mine. Have not had a FTF after the first 50 rounds. I carry it when I can, truly enjoy shooting it.

When I looked I looked at the sti and the wesson as well as a used brown

It seemed to me I got more bang with the high production springer TRP, then I did the other brands, that may make a nicer base unit. But that is my opinion. I'd do it again, but wish I'd looked at the used Ed brown a bit more.

witchdoctor575
Posts in topic: 2

Post by witchdoctor575 »

just fyi... not all of STI's guns are 100% usa. a couple of thier models come from the philippines.

RECIT

Post by RECIT »

Unfortunately the witchdoctor is right. They are a Texas based company, but some of their lower line (more affordable) pistols are manufactured in the Philippines and assembled in Texas. Not to take away from their quality or attention to detail, sad but true though.
"I am a Free Man, regardless of what set of 'rules' surround me. When I find them tolerable, I tolerate them. When I find them obnoxious, I ignore them. I remain free, because I know and understand that I alone bear full responsibility for everything I do, or chose not to do."

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

And apparently, some STIs disintegrate when they are dropped from the height of a toilet paper dispenser in a public restroom.

Ain't gonna happen to an all steel Springfield Armory Loaded, TRP, etc.

I'm sure that STI makes beautiful 1911s.... ....at the right price point. But they aren't the endall any more than any other U.S. manufacturer is.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Matto79

Post by Matto79 »

I've handled an STI Duty 1911 and it rocks! However, I'm a Springfield guy and my next purchase, currently saving for, is a stainless TRP. Can't wait for it.

Normally, the the 500.00 cheaper Loaded would be fine, but from what I hear, TRPs are just more fun and better. Plus I know me. If I buy something on the lower price end, I'll get the bug for the pricier, better one. With that, I'm working towards the TRP.
XDM .45 4.5
XDM 9mm Compact 3.8
Kimber Ultra Carry II .45

Thoughts on CHL Carry - I'd rather have it and not need it, then need it and not have it!

Jumping Frog

Post by Jumping Frog »

RECIT wrote:Unfortunately the witchdoctor is right. They are a Texas based company, but some of their lower line (more affordable) pistols are manufactured in the Philippines and assembled in Texas. Not to take away from their quality or attention to detail, sad but true though.
Also, STI's lower line models are using cast frames and slides, whereas the comparable Springer models are forged frames/slides.
-Just call me Bob . . . Texas Firearms Coalition, NRA Life member, TSRA Life member, and OFCC Patron member

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ

Grog

Post by Grog »

witchdoctor575 wrote:just fyi... not all of STI's guns are 100% usa. a couple of thier models come from the philippines.

The only 1911s they do not make in TX are the Spartan. They are still a very good value for the money (and the addition of the Spartan III & IV to the V models are really making me want to start saving pennies).

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”