Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
bdsnooks
Posts in topic: 1

3" 40 S&W

Post by bdsnooks »

Hi All,

I am wanting a 1911 with a 3"bbl for my better half, and am seriously considering a Kimber Stainless Ultra Carry in .40 S&W.
Kimber is the only one I can find in .40, anyone else make one? Also, the Ultra CDP II available in .40?
Opinions?

TIA
After eating an entire bull, a mountain lion felt so good he started roaring.
He kept it up until a hunter came along and shot him.
The moral: When you're full of bull, keep your mouth shut.

carlson1

Post by carlson1 »

My opinion is I would not want a 1911 in less than a Commander length. The length is really not the conealment problem it is the grip, but I have never had a problem with full size grip. If I was going for something less than the Commander length slide it would be a Kimber. I am sure others will weigh in. Be sure to post a picture when you get it.

MrDrummy

Post by MrDrummy »

Hey Snooks..

I've carried the Stainless Ultra Carry since I first got my CHL. I've put well over 1000 rounds through it, and have never had any problems with it, other than about 3 or 4 rounds of Speer Gold Dot.

I've read of a lot of people having troubles with Officer-sized 1911s, but mine has performed almost flawlessly. I wouldn't be afraid to purchase the Ultra at all.

Like Carlson says, though, it's the grip that you have to worry about when carrying concealed, and it's the same size in a commander and a defender/officer-sized. A lot of folks think that the benefits to a defender-sized gun is that it has a bit more weight to it, so less felt recoil, and quicker follow-up shots (more accuracy from a longer barrel?).

Then again, it's another inch or so more of barrel you've got to clear leather with before you can put it into action if you have to use it. Does it make that much difference, really? Who knows...

JMO! :)

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”