NAA vs Seecamp vs AMT

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
wgoforth
Posts in topic: 3

NAA vs Seecamp vs AMT

Post by wgoforth »

I have never shot any of these shiny little guns. They have begun to interest me though. They all look very similar. Anyone have any experience with these? Either one better than the others?
NRA Life Member
NRA Instructor for Refuse To Be A Victim
Instructor of Basic, Advanced and Defensive Handgun, CHL
http://www.castlekeepservices.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

saltydog452

Re: NAA vs Seecamp vs AMT

Post by saltydog452 »

I've had two Seecamps and one NAA, all .32 ACP.

Supposedly, the Seecamp crew had some problems sorting out the family pecking order. Whatever the cause, quality control and cust service suffered. 'Phones went un-answered for a while. The two .32s that I had didn't want to play nice with any ammunition, recoil spring and Mag spring sgave up the ghost way too early. I'm told that, that is a thing of the past now and isn't relevant. If you want to look into it, there was a Seecamp Forum out there somewhere.

The NAA Guardian has kept on ticking for about ten years now. Every few years, I swap out the mag springs and the recoil spring. So far, all that has been gratis.

Currently, the NAA is loaded with Buffalo Bore hard cast, 75 grain, RNFP at 1140 fps.

Using 'recycled' 'phone books as a tell, the Buffalo Bore functions, penetrates almost as deeply as Ball, but more than Silver Tip WW, and waay more costly. That doesn't mean much of anything other than I like shooting 'phone books in the back yard.

Your experiences may, most likely will, vary. Pay your money and roll the dice. With this Guardian, I got a winner.

salty
Last edited by saltydog452 on Sat Jul 16, 2011 3:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Topic author
wgoforth

Post by wgoforth »

saltydog452 wrote:I've had two Seecamps and one NAA, all .32 ACP.

Supposedly, the Seecamp crew had some problems sorting out the family pecking order. Whatever the cause, quality control and cust service suffered. 'Phones went un-answered for a while. The two .32s that I had didn't want to play nice with any ammunition, recoil spring and Mag spring sgave up the ghost way too early. I'm told that that is a thing of the past now and isn't relevant. If you want to look into it, there was a Seecamp Forum out there somewhere.

The NAA Guardian has kept on ticking for about ten years now. Every few years, I swap out the mag springs and the recoil spring. So far, all that has been gratis.

Currently, the NAA is loaded with Buffalo Bore hard cast, 75 grain, RNFP at 1140 fps.

Using 'recycled' 'phone books as a tell, the Buffalo Bore functions, penetrates almost as deeply as Ball, but more than Silver Tip WW, and waay more costly. That doesn't mean much of anything other than I like shooting 'phone books in the back yard.

Your experiences may, most likely will, vary. Pay your money and roll the dice. With this Guardian, I got a winner.

salty
Thanks! Should specify I am looking at the .380 and 9mm, although if the company is good or not would likely transfer over into any caliber.
Last edited by wgoforth on Sat Jul 16, 2011 4:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NRA Life Member
http://www.castlekeepservices.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

saltydog452

Post by saltydog452 »

Can't help with that.

Pre Kahr, I logged lots of miles on a PPK .380. Can't seem much reason for the .380 PPK now.

My occasional 'shirt pocket', strapped in the seat belt, sitting on the porcelean throne, etc., options are the NAA or J frame.

salty

atxtj
Posts in topic: 2

Post by atxtj »

I've got a seecamp LWS .380, but I have no experience with the other pistols. I've got several hundred rounds through it with no issues what so ever. Accuracy is good for such a small piece, though I rarely practice with it past 5 yards, as it is not intended for use past those ranges. What is outstanding is its craftsmanship and quality, as it is truly a hand made pistol. I would certainly recommend shooting one before purchase as the recoil on the little bugger is quite stout (and painful on the trigger finger), if you found it too much but liked the seecamp design the .32 might be a better option for you. Seecamps really are the Rolex of mouse guns, and you will not be disappointed if you decide to pick one up. :thumbs2:

stroo
Posts in topic: 1

Post by stroo »

I have a Seacamp 32. Never has given me any problems. It is accurate up to five yards. Seacamps are ammo sensitive but Seacampt also tells you what works best, basically Win Silver Tip, Gold Dots and a couple others. While they don't recommend them, mine works well with Corbon and that is what I carry.

Having said all that. I have yet to find a mousegun that I enjoy shooting. I carry them because the conceal so well and as a last resort gun.

Topic author
wgoforth

Post by wgoforth »

atxtj wrote:I've got a seecamp LWS .380, but I have no experience with the other pistols. I've got several hundred rounds through it with no issues what so ever. Accuracy is good for such a small piece, though I rarely practice with it past 5 yards, as it is not intended for use past those ranges. What is outstanding is its craftsmanship and quality, as it is truly a hand made pistol. I would certainly recommend shooting one before purchase as the recoil on the little bugger is quite stout (and painful on the trigger finger), if you found it too much but liked the seecamp design the .32 might be a better option for you. Seecamps really are the Rolex of mouse guns, and you will not be disappointed if you decide to pick one up. :thumbs2:
Is the recoil worse than the likes of the LCP, TCP, P3AT? I guess I assumed it would be less being heavier.
NRA Life Member

RPB
Banned
Posts in topic: 4

Post by RPB »

I've owned all the NAA pistols and 2 Seecamps and 3 AMTs SA, and 1 AMT DAO

in 380: the NAA is very heavy, I keep it in the bathroom with laser grip and the 10 round mag ... I've never carried it, never will ... seriously heavy and overpriced for what it is ...I kinda regret buying it years ago The NAA is huge compared to a Seecamp

The Seecamp, I have 2 in .32, want the 380 ... that company knows how to make a tiny pistol of quality, I carry one daily for years, sometimes both as backups to my Glock 26

Seecamp is a small company that hand makes guns, there's not really a "breakin" period because they fluff and buff out machine marks before sending the pistols out

Seecamp was never supposed to work with every ammo out there, it was designed around Winchester silvertips, and there''s a list of ammo it works well with on their website like Fed hydroshocks etc, ammo which is the wrong size isn't what it was designed for

If you're looking to front pocket carry, Seecamp beats the NAA by a long way, if you want something the bigger size of the NAA, get a small 9mm single stack .... they weigh less. A freind asks me every time he's over if I'll sell my Seecamps ... that's one of the few I won't part with.

AMT I had 3, and a buddy bought 1 and I've seen 1 other with a broken safety ... only one worked well, nice design idea, ... only 1 worked well ... good for pocket carry, even ankle carry... if you get one that works well OMT is the same pistol; not sure you can get parts for them now ...the ones I see at gun shows are overpriced for the reliability, worth it if you get a good one maybe, but a riskier purchase than a Seecamp IMHO.... out of 4, only 1 worked reliably ... AMMO they like round nosed best like Remington hollow points are more rounder nosed than most JHPs ... feeding problems on all with wrong ammo, but 1 out of 4 worked with round nosed type ammos....

Recoil, it isn't all about weight, but also surface area, hand's relation to bore axis, recoil springs, slide weight versus overall pistol weight etc
smaller guns are downright snappy, but these are all made for backup or deep concealment or last resort use... not a fun day at the range

I'd have no problem carrying my Seecamp front pocket to a Campus if it was decriminalized but just against school policy; it's invisible front pocket holstered. The others aren't really front jeans pocket guns imho ..

Recoil: None were intended to be "fun" at the range, they are self defense at close range guns.... backup for my 21 rounds in the Glock 26 or 14 rounds in the XD45 I carry ... or the invisible deep cover front pocket gun when I absolutely can't carry ANYTHING IWB
Last edited by RPB on Sun Jul 17, 2011 1:21 am, edited 4 times in total.
I'm no lawyer

"Never show your hole card" "Always have something in reserve"

RPB
Banned

Post by RPB »

left to right by size
Seecamp, AMT, Diamondback DB380, NAA Guardian
I won't part with, and carry daily, the Seecamp ... the others are safe queens I might trade/sell sometime

I'm no lawyer

RPB
Banned

Post by RPB »

oops, just happened to think/remember about AMT ... they made a SA pictured above which I wrote about (with grip safety and awkward thumb safety) ... but also later made the DAO ... which I did own in addition to the SAs I mentioned above, and sold it .. hated trigger pull, hated the extra weight, the SA was aluminum body, DAO wasn't I don't think eight AMT 380 is made any more ... parts availability unknown?

Not sure if you were asking about the SA or DAO AMT ...

But as I said, I'll probably eventually sell any of them except my Seecamps which are MINE, you can't have them :nono: :lol:

Size footnote
AMT is about the same size as Diamondback/Keltec/Ruger 380
AMT on top of Diamondback
Diamondback on top of AMT

Seecamp on top of a Diamondback
Seecamp is MUCH smaller than AMT (AMT is same size as Diamondback)
NAA and Diamondback (note thickness of the NAA Image

The ONLY reason for getting a clunky, heavy NAA 380 imho, is if you really need the 10 round mag and laser grips, which make it big and thick and harder to carry than a 9mm single stack ... good bathroom gun and looks interesting stored in a safe though. :mrgreen: I don't have a Ruger LCP with laser, but I'd get one before an NAA or AMT ... but if you get a Seecamp, you may end up carrying it a lot :) ask Longtooth, I think he carries his daily too like I do.
I'm no lawyer

Skiprr

Post by Skiprr »

A Seecamp .32 is my almost-all-the-time BUG. Have had it for several years and even used it in some training classes in its BUG role, and have never had a problem with it. Tiny, excellent fit and finish, and built like a tank.

If I were to ever think about replacing the Seecamp's role with something else, I believe the only gun I would consider would be the Rohrbaugh R9s. Larger than the Seecamp--but most everything is--it's about the same size as a Kel-Tec P3AT but carries 6+1 of 9mm in that small package. I don't intend a BUG to be more than a zero-to-15-feet gun, but moving up to 9mm would be a plus. The Rohrbaugh ain't cheap, though.
Join the NRA or upgrade your membership today. Support the Texas Firearms Coalition and subscribe to the Podcast.
I’ve contacted my State Rep, Gary Elkins, about co-sponsoring HB560. Have you contacted your Rep?
NRA Benefactor Life Member

saltydog452

Post by saltydog452 »

Well, there you go.

Have fun and enjoy the trip. For me the education was costly. Others, not nearly so.

Larry is in charge these days. The problems supposedly have been corrected. Still can't see the logic of a .380 when mini 9X19s are out there.

Best to you.

sd.

RPB
Banned

Post by RPB »

I know you are looking at .380s ... Seecamp made a change to the mags back when the phenomenon known as .32 auto rimlock was discovered. Dunno that they ever had trouble with the .380. .32 auto rimlock occurs due to the ammo case dimensions, could occur in any .32 I suppose. http://www.1bad69.com/keltec/rimlock.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; I've never experienced a rimlock, but as I understand it the result is a failure to feed.

Only occurs on .32 ACP, not .380
I'm no lawyer

atxtj
Posts in topic: 2

Post by atxtj »

saltydog452 wrote:Well, there you go.

Have fun and enjoy the trip. For me the education was costly. Others, not nearly so.

Larry is in charge these days. The problems supposedly have been corrected. Still can't see the logic of a .380 when mini 9X19s are out there.

Best to you.

sd.

I've got both a pm9 and the lws380 and I agree that with the new mini 9mms are great. I probably carry the pm9 more than any other weapon. Buts it's twice as big as the seecamp! The lws slips into it's back pocket holster and disappears, it's simply gone. When nothing else will work the seecamp will. I find it fills its niche very well, it's the smallest 380 auto period.

srothstein

Post by srothstein »

I have a NAA Guardian 380. i have never had either of the other two. The Guardian is a little heavy for the size, but it does fit in my hip pocket with no problems. I have full faith that the gun will go bang every time I pull the trigger and that the bullet will strike pretty close to where I think I am aiming it. I would not try it much further away than 15 feet or so, though I did have to qualify with it from the 15 yard line.

But after I got used to it, I have pretty much stopped practicing with it. I only fire about 25 rounds out of ti every six months or so. It is a brutal gun to practice with to me. The full power 380 rounds (gold dot or silvertip hollowpoints) kick too much and the gun hurts my hand. I know that I won't notice that when I really need it due to adrenaline, but you should be aware that it is hard to practice with. To eb fair, i think any gun that size will haev the same problems but others may fit your hand better and cause less trouble.
Steve Rothstein

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”