Medical Awareness of Gunshot Wounds

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
Excaliber
Posts in topic: 1

Medical Awareness of Gunshot Wounds

Post by Excaliber »

Anyone who carries a gun or knife as a defensive tool should have the knowledge and capability needed to manage the initial stages of penetrating wound treatment.

This article provides a pretty good overview and may provide motivation to acquire more detailed knowledge or upgrade the equipment kept on hand - both good things in an uncertain world.
Excaliber

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." - Jeff Cooper
I am not a lawyer. Nothing in any of my posts should be construed as legal or professional advice.

Blindref757

Re: Medical Awareness of Gunshot Wounds

Post by Blindref757 »

None of that sounds like fun...I pray I'm never on either end!!!

chasfm11

Post by chasfm11 »

For those in the DFW area, I would also recommend Lone Star Medic http://www.lonestarmedics.com/ Calieb does a great job of presenting the many items that should be in a trauma kit and giving his students a chance to practice with multiple types. I took his Dynamic First Aid class with a goal of building a versatile and modular first aid kit that we could use with in our RV and also use components of to take along to the gun range. I was very pleased with the level of information that I received.

I view most of a first aid kit the same way that I view my gun. I pray that I never need to use it but want to be prepared in case I do.
6/23-8/13/10 -51 days to plastic
Dum Spiro, Spero

baldeagle

Post by baldeagle »

Thanks, Excaliber. The A, B, C, D, E method is very helpful. Easy to remember and articulate. Hope I never have to use any of it, but you never know.
The Constitution preserves the advantage of being armed which Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation where the governments are afraid to trust the people with arms. James Madison
NRA Life Member Texas Firearms Coalition member

snatchel

Post by snatchel »

Good article. Thanks Excal!

We did a ton of training for these types of wounds, and we were fortunate that we got the training. Easily, the worst GSW's I saw were sucking chest and an abdominal wound. Sucking Chest was an Army fella who was shot in the side of his ribs, and it was about the most painful looking thing ever. The stomach wound was from a .50 cal from abou 200 meters away. It was a disaster. Never have seen damage that extensive from a bullet. Shot in the gut, and it basically ripped his back out.
No More Signature

Sasnakra

Post by Sasnakra »

Excaliber wrote:Anyone who carries a gun or knife as a defensive tool should have the knowledge and capability needed to manage the initial stages of penetrating wound treatment.

This article provides a pretty good overview and may provide motivation to acquire more detailed knowledge or upgrade the equipment kept on hand - both good things in an uncertain world.
Excaliber - Good simple, well presented article of extremely complex situations to be in. It has always amazed me how the bits and pieces of information start to add up and together they become so valuable. You never know WHEN something will happen - and then you will be thankful for whatever level of knowledge you have gained. Those of us that choose to carry and be around firearms, be it hunting, self-defense, sport, or our work, must stop and think. No matter how well prepared or safe we are - someone else may not be. Learn now and it's like having savings in the bank for that unexpected day that does happen!
Thanks. :txflag:
02/20/10 - TX CHL Received
NRA & TSRA

paulhailes

Post by paulhailes »

Thanks for the link

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”