Show your DIY Ideas and Projects

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

blackdog8200
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Show your DIY Ideas and Projects

Post by blackdog8200 »

ayoungoldguy wrote:One hobby I’d like to get into is reloading, however living in the Dallas/Irving area in an apartment, I don’t have the spare space for a dedicated reloading bench.
I’ve been doing my cleaning and pistol and rifle mods on the dining room table (yes, I do make sure to adequately protect the table!) but there’s no way I could rig a reloading setup there because of the way the table is built. What I need is a portable bench setup, and even though I’ve scoured the internet for ideas, I haven’t come across anything that really looks like it’ll work. Does anyone out there have any pics, ideas or plans of DIY’s you’ve done? I sure could use some fresh ideas! Thanks!
http://www.blackanddecker.com/products/ ... vise/wm425

Folds up, use as a gun vise, clamp boards with different gear like powder measure, trimmers, presses... Take to the range.
Harris County
NRA Life Member 1986

earlwb

Post by earlwb »

ayoungoldguy wrote:One hobby I’d like to get into is reloading, however living in the Dallas/Irving area in an apartment, I don’t have the spare space for a dedicated reloading bench.
I’ve been doing my cleaning and pistol and rifle mods on the dining room table (yes, I do make sure to adequately protect the table!) but there’s no way I could rig a reloading setup there because of the way the table is built. What I need is a portable bench setup, and even though I’ve scoured the internet for ideas, I haven’t come across anything that really looks like it’ll work. Does anyone out there have any pics, ideas or plans of DIY’s you’ve done? I sure could use some fresh ideas! Thanks!
I would suggest using a Lee Hand Press. You can literally reload using a TV dinner or snack table and a chair or even sit on the floor and reload too.
The Lee Hand press actually works really well too. Some guys take them to the range to decap the cases at the range, etc. It works with just about any cartridge except for the really large and long rounds.

lfinsr
Posts in topic: 6

Post by lfinsr »

Here's one of a pair of end table I finished a few weeks ago. Made from quilted maple and walnut. It's my opinion that maple and walnut go together like peanut butter and jelly.
DSC_0850-10x10.jpg
My guns won't be illegal, they'll be undocumented. :thumbs2:

Dadtodabone

Post by Dadtodabone »

Beautiful
"Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris!"

Topic author
Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts in topic: 9

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

Below is an article I just published on http://www.TexasFirearmsCoalition.com. The TFC article has several photos that are not here on the Forum because of problems they would cause for people using mobile devices.

Chas.
Powder-Checking Endoscope for Dillon XL650 wrote:I use Dillon XL650 presses and I don't use the powder-check add-on. I didn't get it primarily because of reports that they are not reliable with the worse failure mode being failure to sound when there is no powder in the case. I have no idea how often this occurs, but my low primer warning system has failed to sound a number of times over the years. These are electrical and the two most common failure points are corroded contacts and battery problems. Loading a round without a primer isn’t a major issue, but loading one without powder will lead to a squib. I’m not saying that people should shy away from the Dillon powder-check add-on. That’s just my decision.

For years, I have simply looked into the case when it rotates to the open slot (Station 3) next to the expander/powder measure stage (Station 2). That has worked okay with both a 4' fluorescent fixture above the bench and a separate CFL lamp on an arm close to the press. However, I finally grew tired of two problematic issues. First, I had to stand up in order to be able to look into the case. Secondly, when loading anything smaller than .45ACP, it was difficult to see into the case when using a powder charge that did not significantly fill the case. (Ex. 3.3 gr. Titegroup in 9mm.) I can see it, but the viewing angle is narrow. I wanted to be able to sit in a tall stool to reload and I wanted to be able to see into the case without the critical viewing angle, so I came up with an idea that works great. It's also cheap.

I bought an endoscope/borescope (“camera”) from Amazon for $17. This model has a 7mm shaft and it is threaded on the end. (This is an important installation feature.) With the app CameraFi, it works with any Android device that has a mini-USB connection. The camera has adjustable LEDs that are critical to this application.

I mounted the camera in a shortened 12 Ga shotgun hull shotgun hull that fits perfectly in a die slot in the Dillon tool head. The hull is trimmed such that it extends below the bottom of the tool head, but not enough to touch the shell plate. With an external light source, you can see the powder in the case when the shell plate is in the down position.

When you pull the lever and the shell plate raises, you can see the power even better. I really don't need the extra lamp near the press now, since I can see the powder when I pull the lever. However, I've gotten used to more light on the press so I'm going to leave it. The installation I'm using now is designed for pistol cartridges, but I've tested a way to use it with rifles. I'll publish a separate article when I get that done, but don't hold your breath. The 2017 Texas Legislative Session will make that a very low priority project.

Here's how I installed the camera into the 12 Ga hull:
  • 1. Punch out the primer;

2. Drill the brass part of the primer hole to 5/16", but do not drill into the plastic part of the primer hole below the brass;

3. Drill the plastic part of the primer hole with a 17/64" bit. Do Not use a larger bit;

4. The camera will easily pass through the 5/16" hole in the brass, but not the 17/64" hole in the plastic.

5. Screw the camera into the plastic primer hole taking care to stop before it extends past the plastic. This mounts the camera firmly and centered in the middle of the 12 Ga. hull.
What about bullet feeders?

Anyone using a bullet feeder in an XL650 will not have an open slot in the tool head for the camera. The Station 3 hole will be used for the bullet-feeding die. However, there is a 0.440" hole next to the #3 Station in the tool head that can be used. It will require a different mounting system and the camera will have to be aimed so you can see the powder charge with the shell plate in the down position. I've experimented with it using 9mm cases and it works well with additional off-camera lighting. I doubt it would work with rifle cases because of the length of the case. For rifle cases, the camera needs to be "looking" directly down into the case.

Verifies powder or no powder, not charge weight

As noted earlier, this camera combined with the app CameraFi will work with any Android device. I use an HP Android tablet that I keep on my reloading bench. It's much larger than my Samsung Galaxy phone, plus I don't have to hook up my phone to reload. I place it on my bench where it is easy to see as I'm picking up a bullet from the bullet tray. Unlike the Dillon Powder Check, my system doesn't verify the amount of the charge within a specified range, but that's not an issue. My Dillon powder measures are accurate to 1/10 grain so I'm only concerned with making sure a powder charge was dumped.

Conclusion

This was a very easy project that cost less than $20. There are other ways to mount the camera and I'm sure this project can be modified to fit some presses other than a Dillon XL650. Verifying a powder charge now takes no more than a glance at my tablet while placing a bullet on the case at Station 4. I love this feature and I hope you find it useful too.

Now I just need to find a stool with a padded seat, back support and adjustable height and I'm in business. Perhaps I can find one that has a back and foot massage feature too. Nothing like reloading in a spa atmosphere!

Easyasmc
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Easyasmc »

So I got bored a couple of weekends ago and decided to do a grip reduction and stipple job on my Gen 4 G23. I removed the finger grooves and I also undercut the trigger guard to get my hand higher on the grip. I don't think it came out too bad. The G19 with the RMR was done by someone else. If anyone wants it done professionally by a solid Texan and Army Vet, go check out @shootisttactical on Instagram. He is the truth!!!!

Topic author
Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

Easyasmc wrote:So I got bored a couple of weekends ago and decided to do a grip reduction and stipple job on my Gen 4 G23. I removed the finger grooves and I also undercut the trigger guard to get my hand higher on the grip. I don't think it came out too bad. The G19 with the RMR was done by someone else. If anyone wants it done professionally by a solid Texan and Army Vet, go check out @shootisttactical on Instagram. He is the truth!!!!
Excellent job!

Chas.

Easyasmc

Post by Easyasmc »

Thank you Sir!

bagman45
Banned
Posts in topic: 2

Post by bagman45 »

Hey easy, that looks awesome!! Have my kind of beat up carry G23 that I'd have a go at doing that. What did you use for the cutting/stippling? Thanks!

Matt78665

Post by Matt78665 »

I have posted this years ago but I still like it; so here it is again. For grips of all of my pistols I use mountain bike tire inner tubes; They are very cheap and you can get 15+ for every 6-7 dollar tube. I use some soap and I can slide them up the grip of my Glock's with very little problem. I trim them with scissors and a sharp knife to fit. These provide good grip, they do not significantly effect grip size and as aforementioned they are very inexpensive.
"Though defensive violence will always be a 'sad necessity' in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men."
St. Augustine

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

bagman45 wrote:Hey easy, that looks awesome!! Have my kind of beat up carry G23 that I'd have a go at doing that. What did you use for the cutting/stippling? Thanks!
My son did his G17 with a soldering iron.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Easyasmc

Post by Easyasmc »

bagman45 wrote:Hey easy, that looks awesome!! Have my kind of beat up carry G23 that I'd have a go at doing that. What did you use for the cutting/stippling? Thanks!
Need a Dremel and bits if you want to get rid of the finger grooves and to cut a border out. I didn't cut a border out because I didn't have the right bits. I used a wood burner or a soldering iron would work.

bagman45
Banned
Posts in topic: 2

Post by bagman45 »

Thanks Easy and Tam! Will wander out to the workshop when I get a bit of time and give it a go...

Topic author
Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

UPDATE: I've been using the endoscope as a powder-checker for three months now and it is great! It's so easy to see the powder charge from any angle. No longer do I have to be in essentially the same position to be able to see into the case. As I mentioned earlier, I can sit down and reload, or simply move around and check the powder charge with a quick glance.

I still haven't built one using the 41 Mag. brass to go into the hole next to stage 3. I want to get that done and tested in case people using a bullet feeder in stage 3 want to give it a try.

Chas.
Charles L. Cotton wrote:Below is an article I just published on http://www.TexasFirearmsCoalition.com. The TFC article has several photos that are not here on the Forum because of problems they would cause for people using mobile devices.

Chas.
Powder-Checking Endoscope for Dillon XL650 wrote:I use Dillon XL650 presses and I don't use the powder-check add-on. I didn't get it primarily because of reports that they are not reliable with the worse failure mode being failure to sound when there is no powder in the case. I have no idea how often this occurs, but my low primer warning system has failed to sound a number of times over the years. These are electrical and the two most common failure points are corroded contacts and battery problems. Loading a round without a primer isn’t a major issue, but loading one without powder will lead to a squib. I’m not saying that people should shy away from the Dillon powder-check add-on. That’s just my decision.

For years, I have simply looked into the case when it rotates to the open slot (Station 3) next to the expander/powder measure stage (Station 2). That has worked okay with both a 4' fluorescent fixture above the bench and a separate CFL lamp on an arm close to the press. However, I finally grew tired of two problematic issues. First, I had to stand up in order to be able to look into the case. Secondly, when loading anything smaller than .45ACP, it was difficult to see into the case when using a powder charge that did not significantly fill the case. (Ex. 3.3 gr. Titegroup in 9mm.) I can see it, but the viewing angle is narrow. I wanted to be able to sit in a tall stool to reload and I wanted to be able to see into the case without the critical viewing angle, so I came up with an idea that works great. It's also cheap.

I bought an endoscope/borescope (“camera”) from Amazon for $17. This model has a 7mm shaft and it is threaded on the end. (This is an important installation feature.) With the app CameraFi, it works with any Android device that has a mini-USB connection. The camera has adjustable LEDs that are critical to this application.

I mounted the camera in a shortened 12 Ga shotgun hull shotgun hull that fits perfectly in a die slot in the Dillon tool head. The hull is trimmed such that it extends below the bottom of the tool head, but not enough to touch the shell plate. With an external light source, you can see the powder in the case when the shell plate is in the down position.

When you pull the lever and the shell plate raises, you can see the power even better. I really don't need the extra lamp near the press now, since I can see the powder when I pull the lever. However, I've gotten used to more light on the press so I'm going to leave it. The installation I'm using now is designed for pistol cartridges, but I've tested a way to use it with rifles. I'll publish a separate article when I get that done, but don't hold your breath. The 2017 Texas Legislative Session will make that a very low priority project.

Here's how I installed the camera into the 12 Ga hull:
  • 1. Punch out the primer;

2. Drill the brass part of the primer hole to 5/16", but do not drill into the plastic part of the primer hole below the brass;

3. Drill the plastic part of the primer hole with a 17/64" bit. Do Not use a larger bit;

4. The camera will easily pass through the 5/16" hole in the brass, but not the 17/64" hole in the plastic.

5. Screw the camera into the plastic primer hole taking care to stop before it extends past the plastic. This mounts the camera firmly and centered in the middle of the 12 Ga. hull.
What about bullet feeders?

Anyone using a bullet feeder in an XL650 will not have an open slot in the tool head for the camera. The Station 3 hole will be used for the bullet-feeding die. However, there is a 0.440" hole next to the #3 Station in the tool head that can be used. It will require a different mounting system and the camera will have to be aimed so you can see the powder charge with the shell plate in the down position. I've experimented with it using 9mm cases and it works well with additional off-camera lighting. I doubt it would work with rifle cases because of the length of the case. For rifle cases, the camera needs to be "looking" directly down into the case.

Verifies powder or no powder, not charge weight

As noted earlier, this camera combined with the app CameraFi will work with any Android device. I use an HP Android tablet that I keep on my reloading bench. It's much larger than my Samsung Galaxy phone, plus I don't have to hook up my phone to reload. I place it on my bench where it is easy to see as I'm picking up a bullet from the bullet tray. Unlike the Dillon Powder Check, my system doesn't verify the amount of the charge within a specified range, but that's not an issue. My Dillon powder measures are accurate to 1/10 grain so I'm only concerned with making sure a powder charge was dumped.

Conclusion

This was a very easy project that cost less than $20. There are other ways to mount the camera and I'm sure this project can be modified to fit some presses other than a Dillon XL650. Verifying a powder charge now takes no more than a glance at my tablet while placing a bullet on the case at Station 4. I love this feature and I hope you find it useful too.

Now I just need to find a stool with a padded seat, back support and adjustable height and I'm in business. Perhaps I can find one that has a back and foot massage feature too. Nothing like reloading in a spa atmosphere!

puma guy
Posts in topic: 8

Post by puma guy »

This is not really a project, but a useful tip. I have needed exactly what this video shows several times. Strange title though.
KAHR PM40/Hoffner IWB and S&W Mod 60/ Galco IWB
NRA Endowment Member, TSRA Life Member,100 Club Life Member,TFC Member
My Faith, My Gun and My Constitution: I cling to all three!

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”