Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
mhtx62
Posts in topic: 1

The Texas Heat

Post by mhtx62 »

Hello,

First I would like to say thank you for this forum it helps alot. You all make it great..... Thank you

I carry a Ruger P94 9mm and my wife carrys a Taurus 650 357mag. My question is can we keep the guns in the car whenwe are at work or will it get to hot? My wife asked me if they could go off if it gets to hot ? I don't know. Could they get to hot and go off? We have them in holsters in the glove box. (Houston is home)

Mark :lol:

HighVelocity

Post by HighVelocity »

When ammunition "cooks off" it takes a lot more than the heat inside a car. Unless of course the car is on fire.
When I lived in Houston I had a black Bronco and it would get over 140 degrees inside while it sat in the parking lot at work. My range bag lived in the back and was always full of ammo. Not a single round ever cooked off.

orc4hire

Post by orc4hire »

Last edited by orc4hire on Tue Aug 29, 2006 1:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

dolanp

Post by dolanp »

Shouldn't be too much of a problem. I'd recommend getting windshield shades anyways, they are pretty cheap and keep the car temperature lower.

The guns might be hot when you put them back on though!
Springfield XD 9mm Service

Warhorse545

Post by Warhorse545 »

Various forms have had this question asked a lot. I have never seen a documented case of a round going off due to the heat in a car from the sun. It is not something I would worry about. Heck I am sure it is hotter then the sunny side of Hades in Iraq and there does not seem to be a problem of rounds cooking off in rifles.

Stacey
TSRA Life Member

KBCraig
Banned

Post by KBCraig »

There are only two things I'd be concerned about when it comes to leaving a gun in the car in the Texas heat. First, the very practical aspect of handling a gun that could be up to 160F; it's not something you'd want to tuck IWB or into your Thunderwear.

Second, I'd be concerned with ammo deterioration over time. Ammo doesn't mind heat, but it's recommended that it be kept at stable temperatures. I wouldn't worry about reliability just because it had gotten hot a few times, but I believe I'd limit ammo to a month or so of heating/cooling cycles before using it at the range.

Kevin

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”