Topic author
Paladin
Posts in topic: 1

Guns and football _ two Texas traditions meet

Post by Paladin »

http://www.dentonrc.com/sharedcontent/A ... 4R3O1.html

"07/12/2005

By KRISTIE RIEKEN / Associated Press

If the Houston Texans can't win on the field, maybe they can challenge their opponents to a shootout.

The FBI trained seven members of the NFL team Tuesday in weapons safety, SWAT assault, sniper shooting, handguns and automatic weapons in a public-relations move to help the bureau recruit new members.

"It's a great way to get the public aware of the FBI," said Raymond Oglesby, a 14-year FBI veteran in charge of recruiting for the Houston office. "It also lets the players know about the FBI as a career option after the NFL."

The players listened but also squirmed like small children while agents reviewed gun safety and played a short video about the SWAT team before giving the players a chance to shoot.

Their patience was rewarded when they all got to shoot at targets from 15 yards away with a pistol and two different automatic weapons at the FBI firearms training center.

"It's every boy's dream to come out here and shoot with the FBI," said punter Chad Stanley, an avid hunter who wore a Ted Nugent T-shirt.

He stuffed his camouflage-patterned baseball cap in his back pocket and donned a blue FBI cap. "It's especially fun for me because I've been hunting since I was a little boy."

All the players said they had shot a gun before, but most hadn't ever handled an automatic weapon.

"It's a weapon you'll never forget," Todd Washington, who plays center, said standing amid scores of spent shell casings after shooting a fully automatic MP5 submachine gun. "It's a powerful weapon. I'm 300 pounds and it jarred me."

Accustomed to coaches' shouting, they were unfazed while about a dozen FBI agents barked: "Put it right between the eyes!" and, "Let's rock 'n' roll a little."

The competition was fierce, with a couple of the players joking about betting their sizable paychecks on the results.

"I've got three kids to support, it's not worth the risk," Washington said with a laugh.

Everyone expected Stanley to dominate the contest. He did win, but not before a good fight from fullback Jarrod Baxter.

Baxter, who studied criminology in college and has been shooting since high school, was giddy after tying with Stanley in the pistol-shooting contest.

Stanley won the shootout by hitting the "head area" of the target four times in five shots, leaving Baxter to pout and then draw a frowning face on his target.

Stanley and Steve McKinney were the only Texas natives in the bunch but they all seemed comfortable with the gun-crazy atmosphere of the Lone Star state, smiling broadly while posing with automatic weapons.

Bryan Pittman, Fred Weary and Seth Wand also attended the training.

Washington said getting a glimpse at the intense nature of the FBI training put his mind at ease.

"It's amazing at how specialized their training is," he said. "I'll definitely sleep easier tonight."

_____

On the Net: Houston Texans, http://www.houstontexans.com

FBI, http://www.fbi.gov "
JOIN NRA TODAY!, NRA Benefactor Life, TSRA Defender Life, Gun Owners of America Life, SAF, FPC, VCDL Member
LTC/SSC Instructor, NRA Certified Instructor, CRSO
The last hope of human liberty in this world rests on us. -Thomas Jefferson

XD_Dan

Re: Guns and football _ two Texas traditions meet

Post by XD_Dan »

Paladin wrote:"It's every boy's dream to come out here and shoot with the FBI," said punter Chad Stanley...
I thought it was every boy's dream to get paid millions to play in the NFL. :?

stevie_d_64
Posts in topic: 3

Re: Guns and football _ two Texas traditions meet

Post by stevie_d_64 »

XD_Dan wrote:
Paladin wrote:"It's every boy's dream to come out here and shoot with the FBI," said punter Chad Stanley...
I thought it was every boy's dream to get paid millions to play in the NFL. :?
My nephew is planning on going all the way into the NFL...That could be about 10 years off...

He said he'll take care of his favorite uncle Steve, and buy him one of those cool Mazda Rx-8's or something...

By then it'll be a classic...And I might be too old to enjoy the benefits...

So I may settle for developing a list of future "aquisitions", and season tickets (field passes as well) when he makes it...

I think that fair... :wink:
"Perseverance and Preparedness triumph over Procrastination and Paranoia every time.” -- Steve
NRA - Life Member
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"
Μολών λαβέ!

tex45acp

Post by tex45acp »

Who is this Kristie Rieken with the Associated Press:

"Stanley and Steve McKinney were the only Texas natives in the bunch but they all seemed comfortable with the gun-crazy atmosphere of the Lone Star state, smiling broadly while posing with automatic weapons."

She is probably one of those who screams like she is being raped at the sight of a gun, trembles in fear and then eventually passes out.

Statements like that really make me "gun crazy"......oop's did I say that???
Texas.....Nuff Said!!!

stevie_d_64

Post by stevie_d_64 »

tex45acp wrote:She is probably one of those who screams like she is being raped at the sight of a gun, trembles in fear and then eventually passes out.
Type in her name in your search engine and look at all the hits it generates...

The topics contained in some of those hits says it all...
"Perseverance and Preparedness triumph over Procrastination and Paranoia every time.” -- Steve
NRA - Life Member
Μολών λαβέ!

stevie_d_64

Post by stevie_d_64 »

The only local reporter I know, that does a good job of "balancing" the issue at hand is Zanto Peabody with the Houston Chronicle...

He lurks on websites like PDO, the High Ground, etc etc...

I don't think Zanto knows about our little corner here yet...
NRA - Life Member
Μολών λαβέ!

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”