How to tell what default "zero distance" is for a revolver

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

spardus
Posts in topic: 1

Re: How to tell what default "zero distance" is for a revolver

Post by spardus »

I own a M&P 9 Shield and was wondering the same thing seeing its sights are fixed and can only be adjusted for windage. I used a chronograph to collect some data about my loads but did not know the handguns true zero as set by the manufacturer. So I contacted Smith & Wesson and they told me they test fire my partiuclar handgun at 7 yards.

My balistic software shows that I can stay within a 6" diameter all the way out to ~45 yards with the particular load fired. The bullet path crosses zero at 7 yards and only travels roughly .10" above the line of sight before crossing zero again at about 14 yards. At about 50 yards the bullet is rought 3.6" below the line of sight.

Load Data:
Name: Record ID 91
Notes: Additional Weather Data:
Humidity % 53%
Wind speed 1 mph
Wind direction North

Bullet/Powder Data:
9mm Hornady FMJRN
Ramshot Silhouette 6.0gr
Shots: 7
Average: 1124 FPS
SD: 11 FPS
Min: 1109 FPS
Max: 1146 FPS
Spread: 37 FPS
Power Factor Average: 129
Power Factor Low: 127
Power Factor High: 131
Barometric Pressure: 30
Temperature: 53
Weight: 115 grains

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 1

Re: How to tell what default "zero distance" is for a revolver

Post by The Annoyed Man »

It sounds like maybe you want to know what the revolver’s maximum point blank range is? That would be the range at which the POI would fall within a predetermined circle. If you want that to be a 5” circle, for example, then your MPR will be closer than if you were willing to settle for a 10” circle.

JBMBallistics.com has a MPR calculator built into their online ballistics tool, which I have found very useful.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”