Sig 938 rental - not

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

mewalke
Posts in topic: 3

Re: Sig 938 rental - not

Post by mewalke »

OrangeAnimal wrote:Yeah I can't stuff my 238 in a pocket either. I figure it is best to wear a small holster with it. I have two to choose from depending on my mood. A Comp Tac Infidel or my D.M. Bullard Dual Carry. The Dual Carry is nice cause it's tuckable. The Comp Tac is nice cause it is thinner and less of it contacts my body.
Probably depends on your build and wardrobe, the 238 pockets very nicely for me in the front pocket of cargo pants or most of my khaki shorts. Jeans are a different story, even my more baggy pairs won't easily accommodate the 238. But I am 6' tall, 220 lbs and wear loose fitting pants most of the time.

UpTheIrons
Posts in topic: 1

Post by UpTheIrons »

We were at Lone Star Gun Range in Lockhart this past Sunday. FINALLY got to try the 938 and 238, in a side-by-side comparison.

My impressions were the 238 was easier to shoot and more accurate, and my wife felt the same. For me, the 938 had a wider pattern that was about 2" low, while the 238 was right on. This is shooting them one after the other and swapping back and forth, so I don't think there was any weird mojo going on.

For comparison, my wife's usual carry is a Ruger SR9c, and mine is a full-size 1911. She's been looking for a more concealable gun to wear somewhere other than her waist, and I've been looking...well...just because! Is gun, must try! :lol:

There you go - a mini review while I was going to tell you that Lone Star has both of them to try, if Red's South perchance doesn't.
"I don't know how that would ever be useful, but I want two!"

Springs are cheap - your gun and your life aren't.

Topic author
Kenk
Posts in topic: 13

Post by Kenk »

Yesterday I did make it down to Red's South and rented the Sig 938. I also brought my S&W 642 with me to compare. I fired a full 50 round box (Federal 115 grain FMJ) through the 938 and nearly that much (Lawman 124 grain) through the 642. Here's my impressions.

The 938 was more comfortable to shoot than the 642 in terms of recoil. (I'm comparing this to the Kahr CM9 and K9 that I used to have.) 938 seems to fit my hand better. The 938 sights are much easier to see. The 938 SA trigger (about 8-9 pounds) is easier to pull and shorter travel than the DAO 642 (about 12 pounds). My 642 has at least 500 rounds through it and the 938 probably has that many too as a rental gun.....so both are definitely broken in. Racking the 938 slide is the easiest 9mm I've tried. The thumb safety is in just the right place for me.

I was surprised than the shot pattern looked somewhat tighter with the 938....even though I've fired the 642 a lot more. In my personal case, tremors in my hands affects accuracy, especially as I get more tired. Towards the end of the session I was having more difficulty keeping on target with both firearms. Also, the last magazine in the 938 was Federal 124 grain HydraShok JHP....and the last round failed to feed properly. I'm certain that FTF was caused by me.

So....I was impressed with the 938. I'm considering buying one. It might just replace the 642 as my CCW. That said, the 642 always goes bang when the trigger is pulled :-)

Thanks for all your comments.

Ken

jrandyw

Post by jrandyw »

Thanks for the detailed info Ken. I'm considering getting something for my dad for CC. He lost a good bit of hand strength due to some health issues.
6/16/12 CHL
NRA Member

Topic author
Kenk

Post by Kenk »

jrandyw wrote:Thanks for the detailed info Ken. I'm considering getting something for my dad for CC. He lost a good bit of hand strength due to some health issues.
For your dad....if a .380 is a possibility, take a look at the Walther PK380. Very easy to rack the slide (but I never have fired one).

Ken

Topic author
Kenk

Post by Kenk »

I did purchase a P938 Rosewood at GT Distributors. I've cleaned and oiled it but haven't hit the range yet. I'll post a report when I do.

Ken

ChoqPOC

Post by ChoqPOC »

UpTheIrons wrote:We were at Lone Star Gun Range in Lockhart this past Sunday. FINALLY got to try the 938 and 238, in a side-by-side comparison.

My impressions were the 238 was easier to shoot and more accurate, and my wife felt the same. For me, the 938 had a wider pattern that was about 2" low, while the 238 was right on. This is shooting them one after the other and swapping back and forth, so I don't think there was any weird mojo going on.

For comparison, my wife's usual carry is a Ruger SR9c, and mine is a full-size 1911. She's been looking for a more concealable gun to wear somewhere other than her waist, and I've been looking...well...just because! Is gun, must try! :lol:

There you go - a mini review while I was going to tell you that Lone Star has both of them to try, if Red's South perchance doesn't.
FWIW - I had a 938 rubber grip for about 5 months before I sold it last weekend. I was 100% Sig lover (having a P226 Enhanced Elite) and thought since I was a good shot with it that the 938 would be the same. Wow was I wrong. I could barely hit the target, no matter the distance. I've moved to Glock exclusively almost overnight and can shoot that platform with awesome precision and groupings. I now carry a G26. I really wanted to love my 938, but proper target acquisition is priority. Great review!
"Be so good, They can't ignore you"
CHL: May 2013 | NRA Member

bmwrdr

Post by bmwrdr »

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Last edited by bmwrdr on Sun Nov 10, 2013 12:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
I scarified political correctness to preserve honesty ︻╦̵̵͇̿̿̿̿══╤─

SATX-Scrub
Posts in topic: 2

Post by SATX-Scrub »

If anybody can share info or experience with holsters for the P938, IWC, OWB, pocket or whatever, I'd appreciate it.
I love my RGrizzle, I can't even feel it. I also have one of his handmade front pocket holsters and love that too.

“He looked like an accountant or a serial-killer type. Definitely one of the service industries.”
― Kinky Friedman, Elvis, Jesus, and Coca-Cola
http://atomicnumber13.blogspot.com/

mewalke

Post by mewalke »

SATX-Scrub wrote:
If anybody can share info or experience with holsters for the P938, IWC, OWB, pocket or whatever, I'd appreciate it.
I love my RGrizzle, I can't even feel it. I also have one of his handmade front pocket holsters and love that too.

[ Image ]
Very nice set up

bmwrdr

Post by bmwrdr »

bmwrdr wrote:I have a P938 with rubber grips, The grips fell of first and were replaced with custom Rosewood grips. After reading some reviews I took the gun apart and cleaned any factory lube off, put it back together, dry, and worked it for one hour. Elbow grease is for free :-). Then i disassembled it, applied "Flitz" to the feeding ramp and the outside of the barrel, let it sit for a day before applying a good Remoil job. Next day I went with a buddy to the range and I noticed a few things:
1. The heavier the bullet so smoother the recoil.
2. The "flush, 6 round magazine is a joke :-O. Using rhe factory 7 round magazine will allow you to get better grip. That said, it also improves safety!
3. I fired 150 rounds of 50 x 124 gr., 50 x 135 gr. and 50 x 147 gr., no +P and I don't recall the Mfg of each category since I used ammo I had stored in dry boxes without preserving the box label.
I had one failure to feed (FTF) on the 2nd round (124 gr). It was surely to blame on me, firing the gun 1st time.
Past the 2nd round I have not noticed anything I possibly could blame the gun for.
I have to say I keep it religiously clean and after cleaning I usually apply Flitz on the outside of the barell and the feeding ramp. I never use chemicals to clean a gun, only "gun oil" patience and proper care. You don't abuse it - you won't loose it :-)

If anybody can share info or experience with holsters for the P938, IWB, OWB, pocket or whatever, I'd appreciate it.

THX
I scarified political correctness to preserve honesty ︻╦̵̵͇̿̿̿̿══╤─

Stratman

Post by Stratman »

I don't have any experience with the 938 but I got my wife a 928 .380 because of the ease of racking the slide. FYI the .389 is a 9mm caliber with a bit less bullet weight and powder than the standard 9mm. However, it has plenty of punch as shown in gel tests to drop a threat. The 928 is a great little carry gun. Light, very concealable, reliable and accurate. It has had so few FTFs in over 500 rounds I think they were due to weak loads or limp wristing. My wife has no problem getting close groups at 30 feet so it has no accuracy problem. She made 241 out of 250 on her CHL shooting test with it.

I understand the argument for going with the bigger boom 9mm but if that caliber size proves too difficult the 928 is a great second choice...if you can beat the crowds trying to get one.

Topic author
Kenk

Post by Kenk »

The other day I did take the new P938 to the range. I fired 100 rounds of Remington 115 grain, 10 rounds of CCI Lawman 124 grain, and 5 rounds of Federal Hydra-Shok JHP 124 grain. I didn't have a single malfunction of any kind. The 938 is noticeably more comfortable to shoot than my S&W 642. The 938 SA trigger is easier to pull, and the travel is significantly shorter than the 642 DAO trigger.

I wasn't looking for accuracy this time, just putting the rounds through it for breakin. That said, there were only a few holes outside the silhouette target outline :-) I do have to get used to the 1911 style operation and the "combat sight picture" since I was tending to shoot lower than my point of aim.

So far I am quite pleased with the 938. I was concerned about possible malfunctions given my hand strength and tremors. Now for a lot more practice :fire And I need to order an Alessi APX holster to fit the 938. I've been very happy with that holster for the 642.

Ken
Last edited by Kenk on Tue Nov 12, 2013 4:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Topic author
Kenk

Post by Kenk »

I just got off the phone with Alessi. Wait time for the APX could be 4 months :sad: But I ordered one.

Ken
Last edited by Kenk on Tue Nov 12, 2013 4:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Topic author
Kenk

Post by Kenk »

Stratman wrote:I don't have any experience with the 938 but I got my wife a 928 .380 because of the ease of racking the slide. FYI the .389 is a 9mm caliber with a bit less bullet weight and powder than the standard 9mm. However, it has plenty of punch as shown in gel tests to drop a threat. The 928 is a great little carry gun. Light, very concealable, reliable and accurate. It has had so few FTFs in over 500 rounds I think they were due to weak loads or limp wristing. My wife has no problem getting close groups at 30 feet so it has no accuracy problem. She made 241 out of 250 on her CHL shooting test with it.

I understand the argument for going with the bigger boom 9mm but if that caliber size proves too difficult the 928 is a great second choice...if you can beat the crowds trying to get one.
I'm assuming you meant the Sig P238 .380, the little brother to the P938 9mm.

Ken

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”