Thinking about getting into reloading

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
CaptDave
Posts in topic: 2

Thinking about getting into reloading

Post by CaptDave »

Shooting a lot of .45ACP and .40S&W in practice and IDPA, among other things.
I'm thinking about reloading and would like to start with the reloader that I will end up with. (BTDT with shotshell reloading).
Looks like the Dillon XL650 would fit that description.
Any thoughts from you reloaders out there :?:
"An armed society is a polite society"

SRVA

Post by SRVA »

Dillon 650 is definitely the way to go unless you are shooting more than 50,000 rounds per year. Get it with the automatic case feed and get the Dillon case tumbler also. This is a great set-up and the Dillon warranty can't be beat.

I also recommend getting the spare parts kit when you order the reloader. Even though Dillon will replace any broken part, free, for the life of the machine, it seems that parts always break on Friday night at 8:00 p.m. when you are reloading for the match on Saturday. Having the spare parts kit will keep you operating until you can get the replacement parts.

Topic author
CaptDave
Posts in topic: 2

Post by CaptDave »

Thanks for the info SRVA!
The 650 is the direction I'm leaning in :D
"An armed society is a polite society"

dws1117
Posts in topic: 1

Post by dws1117 »

I also recommend getting the spare parts kit when you order the reloader.
No! get two. I had to break into mine one the first day. There a a lot of little parts that are faitly easy to screw up while learning to get the thing set up. Now my experience with the 550b. Alto get extra primer tubes. If you take the time to load the tubes it will save you time when you sit down at the press to load.

As already said, I went with the 550b and haven't looked back. I don't shoot in any matches or shoot thousands of rounds a month. More along the lines of low hundreds. I also only realod .45acp right now. I went with the 550b so I had the option should I choose to load more calibers.

I usually only load about 500 rounds at a time. When I get down to about 200 rounds I do it again. It only take about 2 - 3 hours to load that amount.

dutchman
Posts in topic: 1

Post by dutchman »

I have been using Dillon's 550B for about 8 years now. It is my first progressive loader. Guess if I started all over again, I would opt for the 650, but I am perfectly happy with the little 550B. Sure would like to have a case loading hopper, but I don't think that is in the future. I don't see how Dillon's warranty can't be beat as he has sent me two items that stupididity broke. No charge, just thank you for your business.
dutchman

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”