Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
Bang4Buck
Posts in topic: 4

Thinking of creating NFA Trust

Post by Bang4Buck »

Two questions:

1 - anyone in Texas you recommend? I am in Dallas area but I don't require the person be local. I have obviously googled texas NFA Trust lawyers, but don't know anything more other than what their site says.

2 - are any of you rushing to set these up based on pending NFA trust changes? Sounds like there is a chance come January we would all need leo sign off, which is clearly ridiculous.

tacticool
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Thinking of creating NFA Trust

Post by tacticool »

Bang4Buck wrote:Two questions:

1 - anyone in Texas you recommend? I am in Dallas area but I don't require the person be local. I have obviously googled texas NFA Trust lawyers, but don't know anything more other than what their site says.

2 - are any of you rushing to set these up based on pending NFA trust changes? Sounds like there is a chance come January we would all need leo sign off, which is clearly ridiculous.
It's true the whole National Firearms Act is ridiculous, not to mention literally unconstitutional. However, if there is a CLEO sign-off and background check required for individuals, it's absurd not to require the same for trustees and beneficiaries of NFA trusts. The same holds true for officers of a corporation on a Form 1 or Form 4. There's no legitimate purpose for those loopholes.
When in doubt
Vote them out!

Topic author
Bang4Buck

Post by Bang4Buck »

Agree. For the life of me I don't know why anyone cares if you have a SBR. Guess we have to keep bureaucrats working, or pretending to work.

psijac

Post by psijac »

Bang4Buck wrote:Agree. For the life of me I don't know why anyone cares if you have a SBR. Guess we have to keep bureaucrats working, or pretending to work.
Because they were considered concealable at a time when it was illegal in most states to carry a handgun
07/25/09 - CHL class completed
07/31/09 - Received Pin/Packet sent.
09/23/09 - Plastic in hand!!

Jumping Frog

Post by Jumping Frog »

tacticool wrote:....it's absurd not to require the same for trustees and beneficiaries of NFA trusts. The same holds true for officers of a corporation on a Form 1 or Form 4. There's no legitimate purpose for those loopholes.
There was back in 1934.

In 1934, it was commonplace for mining companies, banks, armored car companies, "The Pinkertons", steel mills, and many other large corporations to maintain access to NFA weapons. There was no national means of doing background checks back then, so corporations and trusts had a legitimate need and the act would not have passed if they opposed the bill.

Remember, back then, the purpose was to keep these guns from the Dillinger's of the world. Legitimate owners simply paid a $200 tax stamp.
-Just call me Bob . . . Texas Firearms Coalition, NRA Life member, TSRA Life member, and OFCC Patron member

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ

Topic author
Bang4Buck

Post by Bang4Buck »

psijac wrote:
Bang4Buck wrote:Agree. For the life of me I don't know why anyone cares if you have a SBR. Guess we have to keep bureaucrats working, or pretending to work.
Because they were considered concealable at a time when it was illegal in most states to carry a handgun
And now that most states allow CHL of course ATF is not going to get with the times. Gotta love all those fed agencies. :waiting:

tbrown

Post by tbrown »

Bang4Buck wrote:Two questions:

I think it's wise to ask any "NFA Trust" lawyer the same kind of things people suggest asking [Pre-paid legal service], etc. Ignore the FUD people invariably throw out and do your own due diligence to find out what you're really getting. When I did my research, none of them proved to offer value beyond a DIY trust, but things may have changed and your mileage may vary.

Whatever you choose, good luck.
sent to you from my safe space in the hill country

NorthTexas

Post by NorthTexas »

I've been reading about the possible trust changes on some other forums, and one name I've seen recommended several times for setting up trusts is Jim Willi. He's in Austin but can set up trusts anywhere in Texas. I have not been through this process myself and have no personal experience with him, but based on recommendations elsewhere and what I read on his gun trust website, he would probably be my first contact if I decided to set up a trust. Sean Cody in Houston has also been highly recommended elsewhere.

By the way, Willi's gun trust website has lots of good articles that I think are worth checking out even if you go another route, including one on the possible pitfalls of DYI trusts.
NRA Life Member

Chemist45

Post by Chemist45 »

Bang4buck wrote:
Two questions:

1 - anyone in Texas you recommend?
Mrs. Chemist and I used this lawyer:
Mitsy Barajas
1300 McGowen Street
Houston, Texas 77002
Tel.: 713.229.0224
Fax: 713.621.1449

We did everything by phone, email and fax. All went well and smoothly.
No issues in adding items to the trust.

LDB415

Post by LDB415 »

Approximately what does it cost to set this up? Are there ongoing costs like annual renewal fees etc.?
It's fine if you disagree. I can't force you to be correct.
NRA Life Member, TSRA Life Member, GSSF Member
A pistol without a round chambered is an expensive paper weight.

Topic author
Bang4Buck

Post by Bang4Buck »

LDB415 wrote:Approximately what does it cost to set this up? Are there ongoing costs like annual renewal fees etc.?
http://www.myguntrust.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

About $300 to set up. $200 "tax stamp" (i.e. Bureaucracy fee) per nfa item from what I can tell.

jiannichan

Post by jiannichan »

I used Christopher Bass from The Bass Firm. He is located in Irving. I found him on AR15.com when I was searching. I was going to go with Sean Cody but a few emails and phone calls leaving messages to his place with my questions went unanswered, I decided to find someone else. Chris answered all my questions and helped me a great deal. I had him set me up with a trust 3 years ago and I needed to make a couple changes a few months ago and he was still able to help me, free of charge.

Use this link to find a gun trust lawyer
http://www.silencershop.com/gun-trust-l ... s-updated/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
-jchan

tXfactor

Post by tXfactor »

Quicken Willmaker is $8 if you buy an old version online. Or download it for "free."

ajb1968

Post by ajb1968 »

I used Sean Cody at Texasnfatrust.com. Everything was done over the phone and he had it to me in three days. I just got my first tax stamp for an SBR with no issues (in about five weeks!). Sean is based in Houston.

Personally, I would not do it myself although it's not an overly complicated document. I just like having a malpractice insurance policy between me and the Feds in the event there is any issue.

srothstein

Post by srothstein »

LDB415 wrote:Approximately what does it cost to set this up? Are there ongoing costs like annual renewal fees etc.?
I have never done this, so I could be wrong, but I believe that the only legal fees after the original set up are if you want to file any changes to the trust. And I understand that trusts must name all beneficiaries specifically, so if you have another child or grandchild that you want included, you need to make the change.
Steve Rothstein

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”