Has anyone noticed the decline of Texas Gun Trader?

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
rotor
Posts in topic: 9

Re: Has anyone noticed the decline of Texas Gun Trader?

Post by rotor »

I have never sold anything but I have bought stuff. Just use good precautions and make sure that you are not dealing with scammers (or worse). People that just signed up would worry me. If you live in a major city like Dallas your chances of selling are better. If you live in "Rural Area" like I do the chance is slim. They offer a bill of sale that you can download. I always used it but that would be your choice.

RossA
Banned
Posts in topic: 2

Post by RossA »

I have sold a couple of guns there with success and no issues. That was a few years ago.
God and the soldier we adore,
In times of danger, not before.
The danger gone, the trouble righted,
God's forgotten, the soldier slighted.

mot7981
Posts in topic: 1

Post by mot7981 »

I have bought and sold on the site with pretty good success. Yes there are some flakes on there and many items are WAY overpriced. It's almost entertaining. However, there are also still good folks on the site that just want to buy or sell for a decent price. As a seller I have been stood up a few times by the buyer but I'm getting to where I can get a pretty good feel as to whether someone is legit or not. I always use a bill of sale and you can hedge your bets greatly by stipulating that you will only sell to those with LTC. This limits your pool of potential buyers but I've met some great people and we usually spend some time in good conversation after the sale. I meet in a public space of my choice that's close to home so that if I am stood up, it's no big deal. We usually agree to meet one on one and I never get in someone else's car. I hope the site stays up cause there are just not that many opportunities to buy and sell with a big audience. Just be sure to always exercise caution. If something doesn't feel right, move on and send an apology email. It's not worth a buy or sell.

dragun
Posts in topic: 2

Post by dragun »

Just a quick update. I recently have posted 3 handguns and sold all of them within a week. (these were my first time to sell online) Also had some magazines that I have sold as well. I was very pleasantly surprised that all the potential buyers, and ones that made purchases were very easy to deal with.. All were pretty straight forward and I was fortunate not to run across and knuckleheads. I do have a couple holsters that I'm not getting much action but the firearms sales were all good. Feel pretty fortunate, but I wouldn't hesitate to jump on there and sell something again. It's been a good and easy experience so far.

tbryanh

Post by tbryanh »

Trying to summarize the problems with TGT.

It seems there needs to be a moderator to respond to complaints about scammers.

The sight needs a better search engine.

The sight needs better funding to hire someone to make the sight better.

Am I on target here? Anything else?

Topic author
rotor

Post by rotor »

tbryanh wrote:Trying to summarize the problems with TGT.

It seems there needs to be a moderator to respond to complaints about scammers.

The sight needs a better search engine.

The sight needs better funding to hire someone to make the sight better.

Am I on target here? Anything else?
All of the above. They recently have fixed their proximity search by mileage portion so I at least can use the site but it took years for them to do it.

NonesuchArms

Post by NonesuchArms »

The site needs a lot of improvements...however I hope you have all noticed that the poor performance is being fixed according to a message at the top of the home page. The upgrades may actually be causing part of the problem.

From the site...
"We are preparing TGT for a major upgrade. Some Features may not be available."

As far as buying and selling:

- I've bought and sold about a dozen or so guns through that site over the years. It has declined from what it was back in the day

- If buying, it is still very good if you have the time to parse through tons of ads per day until you find just the right deal and then pounce on it before anyone else does.

- For selling, it is great and will bring you a fair dollar - or more than a fair dollar if you're a jerk that lists your used gun for over Academy retail - so long as you are willing to ignore the price hagglers long enough.

- If you are looking to trade, and you have the patience to wait it out and not jump on the first semi-interesting trade offer you receive, then it can make for some great trade opportunities. I usually use it in this capacity because I rarely like to see an old one go without a new one coming in...and would rather buy new in most cases.

TIP - Make sure to do a bill of sale and copy the info from the other person's DL/LTC regardless of being buyer, seller or trader. All serial #'s in the transaction should go on the BOS just to cover yourself!

I hope the new site at least performs well.

Topic author
rotor

Post by rotor »

NonesuchArms wrote:The site needs a lot of improvements...however I hope you have all noticed that the poor performance is being fixed according to a message at the top of the home page. The upgrades may actually be causing part of the problem.

From the site...
"We are preparing TGT for a major upgrade. Some Features may not be available."

As far as buying and selling:

- I've bought and sold about a dozen or so guns through that site over the years. It has declined from what it was back in the day

- If buying, it is still very good if you have the time to parse through tons of ads per day until you find just the right deal and then pounce on it before anyone else does.

- For selling, it is great and will bring you a fair dollar - or more than a fair dollar if you're a jerk that lists your used gun for over Academy retail - so long as you are willing to ignore the price hagglers long enough.

- If you are looking to trade, and you have the patience to wait it out and not jump on the first semi-interesting trade offer you receive, then it can make for some great trade opportunities. I usually use it in this capacity because I rarely like to see an old one go without a new one coming in...and would rather buy new in most cases.

TIP - Make sure to do a bill of sale and copy the info from the other person's DL/LTC regardless of being buyer, seller or trader. All serial #'s in the transaction should go on the BOS just to cover yourself!

I hope the new site at least performs well.
The Zip code proximity part has been dead again for months now. I don't want to search for guns in Houston when I live in Wichita Falls. The worst part of the site is that the owner NEVER responds to questions. NEVER!
Definitely I agree with using a Bill of Sale. Many here do not. I hope the new site fixes the defects. I used to be able to get some great purchases on the site.

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”