Has anyone noticed the decline of Texas Gun Trader?

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Jago668
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Has anyone noticed the decline of Texas Gun Trader?

Post by Jago668 »

sookandy wrote:I still use it. Most of the time it's to get a giggle out of some stupidly high priced ad. The CZ Evo for $1200 today was a laugh. I can snag something I want or sell something once in a while. It is what it is now. A while back I snagged a 1933 Polish Radom Mauser trainer for $250. Go look up the prices on those! If you can find one. ;-)
One guy was trying to sell used XDMs for $800. I messaged him a link with a site selling new ones for $500 and he told me that gunbroker had them listed for that much so that was what he was going to sell them for. /facepalm

When I shop for a gun I stop by there, I mean you never know. However you can just go to Cabellas/Bass Pro and get just as good "deals", but at least the guns will be new.
NRA Benefactor Member

Charlies.Contingency
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Charlies.Contingency »

Jago668 wrote:
sookandy wrote:I still use it. Most of the time it's to get a giggle out of some stupidly high priced ad. The CZ Evo for $1200 today was a laugh. I can snag something I want or sell something once in a while. It is what it is now. A while back I snagged a 1933 Polish Radom Mauser trainer for $250. Go look up the prices on those! If you can find one. ;-)
One guy was trying to sell used XDMs for $800. I messaged him a link with a site selling new ones for $500 and he told me that gunbroker had them listed for that much so that was what he was going to sell them for. /facepalm

When I shop for a gun I stop by there, I mean you never know. However you can just go to Cabellas/Bass Pro and get just as good "deals", but at least the guns will be new.
Yes, I do prefer new. No telling what an uneducated person may have done to a gun you're going to buy. It's nice knowing I can go back with warranties too. (Drury's Gun Shop in S.A. gives me a lifetime on everything I buy there.)
Sent from Iphone: Please IGNORE any grammatical or spelling errors.
ALL of my statements are to be considered opinionated and not factual.

rentz

Post by rentz »

some people list some decent deals on texas gun trader, but those are usually cross posted on various other sites such as this one. Other times the deal is just too good to be true and screams scam or its way way overpriced.
I havent bought or sold using that site and probably wont either, i'd rather stick to this site or similar ones.

Rex B

Post by Rex B »

I have bought a few guns off TGT, but I rarely go there since they changed the site a few years ago. I also complained then, and got the same results <crickets> The few times I have inquired on guns there lately I got no response, or a non-helpful response indicating the seller had no clue how to sell a gun.
When selling I usually offer here first. If it hasn't sold in a week, I post it on another Texas forum which has a lot more classifieds traffic. The guns I sell aren't typically SD guns anyway.
-----------
“Sometimes there is no alternative to uncertainty except to await the arrival of more and better data.” C. Wunsch

MechAg94

Post by MechAg94 »

I was looking on there for a rifle a couple years ago. I found one listing in El Paso and messaged the guy thinking I could do a transfer. He responed that he was actually in Ohio, but could still sell me the rifle. I checked and the same guy had a few listings all in different cities. That pretty much turned me off on the site and I never went back.

Topic author
rotor
Posts in topic: 9

Post by rotor »

It has been almost 1 year since I posted this question and the feedback has been interesting. I live in what the site calls Rural Texas and unless someone actually posts the city name in the ad I can not find anything locally. So, I search with a keyword of my city and see if anything is available. I have had some very good purchases on this site when dealing face to face with a seller. For those of you in the larger areas this is not a concern. The site owner is non-existent as far as I can tell unless you are buying an ad and his name shows up on your credit card bill. Of course there are scams. Let the buyer beware.

madwildcat

Post by madwildcat »

So it appears that in the last week the site has gone down at least twice, and now you can't even view posts by city. And of course, no word from the site owner.

RossA
Banned

Post by RossA »

It will be a shame if we lose that site. For all of its problems, I used to buy a lot of bulk ammo on there.
Of course, if some one wants to pick up the ball...
God and the soldier we adore,
In times of danger, not before.
The danger gone, the trouble righted,
God's forgotten, the soldier slighted.

Topic author
rotor

Post by rotor »

I posted this almost 2 years ago and the site still does not work well especially if you live in "Rural" areas. The owner never answers email. I wonder how much it costs to buy-run a site like he has and whether there is any money in running it.

madwildcat

Post by madwildcat »

My issue is now it doesn't even break down the major cities. If you click on Dallas, it still brings up ads for everywhere else. I have never gotten a response from the owner, including when pointing out someone that tried to scam me (guy is still on the site).

wheelgun1958

Post by wheelgun1958 »

madwildcat wrote:My issue is now it doesn't even break down the major cities. If you click on Dallas, it still brings up ads for everywhere else. I have never gotten a response from the owner, including when pointing out someone that tried to scam me (guy is still on the site).
I've found if you use the change location button on the left side below the logo, it still works.

loscar141

Post by loscar141 »

And whats with some of the requirements that some of the seller have? asking for 2 forms of identification, that's ridiculous.
I sent a reply to someone for a gun I thought is a good price, I told him I would buy the gun for asking price, but I would only show him my LTC.
and if he insisted on 2 forms of identification, than I would also need two forms from him as well. with the risk of identity theft, I think that's only fair.

Topic author
rotor

Post by rotor »

loscar141 wrote:And whats with some of the requirements that some of the seller have? asking for 2 forms of identification, that's ridiculous.
I sent a reply to someone for a gun I thought is a good price, I told him I would buy the gun for asking price, but I would only show him my LTC.
and if he insisted on 2 forms of identification, than I would also need two forms from him as well. with the risk of identity theft, I think that's only fair.
At least you can find a seller. I can't.

loscar141

Post by loscar141 »

rotor wrote:
loscar141 wrote:And whats with some of the requirements that some of the seller have? asking for 2 forms of identification, that's ridiculous.
At least you can find a seller. I can't.
Well, he never replied I guess he was a scammer. also I really don't intend to show my personal information to anyone. I just say that to see how serious about the 2 forms of ID they are about it. I will show my LTC and sign a bill of sale but that's it.

dragun

Post by dragun »

Hey guys I'm thinking of putting up a gun for sale on the their forum. I see most of the post here regarding their site seems to be more about looking to buy but was curious as to your experience in selling guns on their site. A little leary but interested in your feedback.

By the way I've lurked for quite some time, well since th OC law change but enjoy reading many of the post here.

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”