Do You Recommend Snap Caps for New Users?

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
thatguyoverthere
Posts in topic: 1

Do You Recommend Snap Caps for New Users?

Post by thatguyoverthere »

I've noticed in a number of different threads on this forum that people sometimes mention observing new shooters, typically at shooting ranges, who are obviously unfamiliar with their gun and its features as shown by their awkward, or even fearful, handling of the gun. Of course, it is understandable that someone might be a little nervous in handling a new firearm loaded with live ammunition for the first time.

So, my question: if you have an opportunity to help train a new shooter, do you recommend to that shooter that they use snap caps to help them safely learn the operation of their gun, especially for loading, unloading, clearing the chamber, etc?

Any time I acquire a new gun, I practice with snap caps until I am thoroughly familiar and comfortable with all operations. I assume that's a common practice, but haven't heard it mentioned too much? Just wondering.

Setxjeff

Re: Do You Recommend Snap Caps for New Users?

Post by Setxjeff »

I use and recommend snap caps or proving rounds to famarlize myself to a new gun. It works great esp. Teaching someone the handling of a semi-auto pistol in racking the slide and loading the magazine. They also make them for shotguns and teaching someone the controls of a pump action shotgun with snap/proving rounds is the safest way.
TSRA Member
M1 Garand Collectors Association

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

I use them whenever I teach a basic handgun class.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

rtschl

Post by rtschl »

I use them to practice draw, shoot and reload and to teach my sons. When my 22 year old son bought his first gun, I loaned him my snap caps to practice shoot and quick reload of new magazine.

A training technique we use for our church security team when at the range is instructor has us load each others magazines and we use a couple of snap caps per person. This is to simulate a malfunction where we tap, rack and ready drill. So we don't know which round is the one that is going to "fail". But we are also taught to check the chamber. A non-ejected round can blow your gun up in your hand.
Ron
NRA Member

Jumping Frog

Post by Jumping Frog »

Snap caps are great for malfunction drills and for demonstrating a flinch when intermixed with live rounds. I use them as well.

Just simple dry firing (without snap caps) is also useful to learn trigger control at home. The overwhelming majority of center-fire handguns are not damaged in any way by dry firing.

In either case, I have always make it a hard and fast rule that I do not have live ammunition in the same room when I am dry firing or using snap caps at home. All NRA classes also adhere to this rule that live ammunition cannot be in the same room when students are manipulating a firearm, if I recall correctly.

For example, I'll unload in the family room. Dry fire in the back yard. Go reload in the family room.

Separate the actions to create a clearly distinct "training session". Heard too many examples of someone dry firing, then reloading, then mindlessly drawing "one more time" and shooting a hole in the television. :shock:
-Just call me Bob . . . Texas Firearms Coalition, NRA Life member, TSRA Life member, and OFCC Patron member

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ

b322da

Post by b322da »

rtschl wrote:...A training technique we use for our church security team when at the range is instructor has us load each others magazines and we use a couple of snap caps per person.
This practice is also of great value to experienced shooters during one's routine range practice for learning or reinforcing keeping one's dominant eye, or, preferably, both eyes, open when firing, and therefore seeing one's sight alignment at the time the hammer falls.

Using snapcaps alone, rather than mixed with live rounds, is of much less value here since it is only natural for (many?) (all?) of us to successfully overcome the human body's instinctive flinching when one knows that there will be no flash-bang when the hammer falls.

Jim

n5wd

Post by n5wd »

As an instructor, I find the snap caps to be indispensable when learning to load and unload guns, clearing malfunctions, and to help diagnose flinch in shooters. I use them, pretty regularly, myself to keep working on flinch (which I'll admit that can be somewhat distracting, depending on how I'm feeling, physically, in general).

I try to keep 15-20 in all calibers that I might need, and am always looking for more. They seem to take flight and walk off by themselves, sometimes.
NRA-Life member, NRA Instructor, NRA RSO, TSRA member,
Vietnam (AF) Veteran -- Amateur Extra class amateur radio operator: N5WD

Email: CHL@centurylink.net

tms119

Post by tms119 »

They definitely helped me with practicing and when teaching my mom and aunt.

WildBill

Post by WildBill »

Snap caps can be useful for both new and experienced shooters.
NRA Endowment Member

Texsquatch
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Texsquatch »

My wife suffered from carpel tunnel years ago and her hands and wrists have been weak since. She convinced herself that she couldn't operate any of my Glocks because she had trouble gripping and racking the slide and even found it difficult to load a mag. I gave her a handful of snap caps to practice with and once she realized it was her confidence that need the extra strength instead of her hands, it all worked itself out.

I also like snap caps to show my young son gun safety and they also help me with working out a flinch from time to time.

Cedar Park Dad
Banned

Post by Cedar Park Dad »

It might be easier to ask what reason you wouldn't recommend snap caps? I sure can't think of any.

RoyGBiv

Post by RoyGBiv »

Cedar Park Dad wrote:It might be easier to ask what reason you wouldn't recommend snap caps? I sure can't think of any.
:iagree:

I have a magazine with snap caps that I'll use just for trigger practice while sitting at my desk (shooting at annoying threads on the internet ;-) :lol: )
I am not a lawyer. This is NOT legal advice.!
Nothing tempers idealism quite like the cold bath of reality.... SQLGeek

Gunner4640

Post by Gunner4640 »

I use them to practice shooting skeet with 12 ga snap caps. My wife runs a laser around the room and I track the laser then shoot at a spot on the wall . :fire
Dave & Wife NRA Members
Too many guns to list> :lol::

Cedar Park Dad
Banned

Post by Cedar Park Dad »

RoyGBiv wrote:
Cedar Park Dad wrote:It might be easier to ask what reason you wouldn't recommend snap caps? I sure can't think of any.

I have a magazine with snap caps that I'll use just for trigger practice while sitting at my desk (shooting at annoying threads on the internet ;-) :lol: )
1. This is wisdom.
2. I am jealous. I salute you sir. :tiphat: :txflag:

Texsquatch

Post by Texsquatch »

RoyGBiv wrote:

I work from home and get away with a lot of stuff. Once during a way too long conference call I did some rapid fire shots with my at the time new and unloaded LCR while trying to get a feel for the reset (or lack thereof).

I came to when someone said, "what's that sound?" and promptly hit my mute button.

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”