9mm Glocks - Gen 3 or 4 better?

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 6

Re: 9mm Glocks - Gen 3 or 4 better?

Post by The Annoyed Man »

Kkpsiknl wrote:For the record my big ugly glocks are American. Made in Georgia. ;)
Some of them are, just not all of them.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Kkpsiknl
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Kkpsiknl »

The Annoyed Man wrote:
Kkpsiknl wrote:For the record my big ugly glocks are American. Made in Georgia. ;)
Some of them are, just not all of them.
Absolutely agree, mine all are my wife's are not.

Dave2
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Dave2 »

AFAIK, the biggest differences are that the Gen4s have better mag releases and are maybe less reliable (depending on if you think the glitches have been fixed).

They also have adjustable grips, but I don't know if that matters.
I am not a lawyer, nor have I played one on TV, nor did I stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night, nor should anything I say be taken as legal advice. If it is important that any information be accurate, do not use me as the only source.

remington79

Post by remington79 »

On the Gen 4s you can swap the mag release to either side if you need to. As for the grayish finish it is just that a finish just like the shiny black finish. It has nothing to do with the metal treatment. From what I understand they stopped using Tennifer around 2009 so even your Austrian made pistols don't have it anymore. They won't name the new process.

I don't think most polymer pistols including Glocks are ugly. There's just something about its no frills exterior.
Sent to you from Galt's Gulch.

John Galt

Post by John Galt »

remington79 wrote:
I don't think most polymer pistols including Glocks are ugly. There's just something about its no frills exterior.
As I Have said for years, the beauty of the Glock is how well they shoot.

MechAg94

Post by MechAg94 »

If you want redundancy, get the gen 3. If you have the collector bug, get the gen 4.

I have a G21 Gen 4. I had an issue with the trigger reset out of the box. I sent it in and it was fixed. No problems since. I carry it occasionally.

As for the M&P, I have tried the full size M&P in 40 and 45. I wasn't a fan. They were too slim and the reduced capacity bugged me. I have chosen to stick with my Glock and XD pistols. (and CZ also).

If you want a different compact 9mm, look at the CZ 75 P01 or CZ 75 compact. 14 rd capacity and alloy frame instead of plastic. I kind of like the DA/SA decocker stuff. Good pistols.

winters
Banned

Post by winters »

I don't like the how the gen 4 grip feels with the different texture seems to aggressive for me.

Acronym Esq

Post by Acronym Esq »

The Annoyed Man wrote:Now that Gen4 guns have been out for a while, besides the adjustable grip frame panels, are there any other substantial improvements in the Gen4 guns over Gen3 guns? Are there any areas where the Gen3s are superior to the Gen4s?
I recently had the opportunity to shoot my G19 Gen3 (18 yro; 7k+ rounds) and a friend's G19 Gen4 (brand new; 0 rounds) side by side.
  • The grip stippling on the Gen4 was comfortable and gripped my hand a little better.
  • The Gen4 mag release was easier to operate.
  • The Gen4 recoil was slightly less than the Gen3. It felt like the Gen4 slowed the recoil slightly spreading it out. I liked the Gen4 better.
  • The Gen4 sound was missing some of the higher pitch snap that the Gen3 had. Don't care; just noticed.
  • I don't care about the backstrap clippy things.
  • His new Gen4 came with 3 x 15 round mags. Mine came with 2 x 10 round mags (1999 was in the dark decade for handguns).
We put 200 rounds through my friend's new gun: no failures. I didn't expect the Gen4 to be an improvement, but overall I liked it just a little better than the Gen3.

Acronym 1/16/2017 1:27 PM

Topic author
The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 6

Post by The Annoyed Man »

Acronym Esq wrote:
The Annoyed Man wrote:Now that Gen4 guns have been out for a while, besides the adjustable grip frame panels, are there any other substantial improvements in the Gen4 guns over Gen3 guns? Are there any areas where the Gen3s are superior to the Gen4s?
I recently had the opportunity to shoot my G19 Gen3 (18 yro; 7k+ rounds) and a friend's G19 Gen4 (brand new; 0 rounds) side by side.
  • The grip stippling on the Gen4 was comfortable and gripped my hand a little better.
  • The Gen4 mag release was easier to operate.
  • The Gen4 recoil was slightly less than the Gen3. It felt like the Gen4 slowed the recoil slightly spreading it out. I liked the Gen4 better.
  • The Gen4 sound was missing some of the higher pitch snap that the Gen3 had. Don't care; just noticed.
  • I don't care about the backstrap clippy things.
  • His new Gen4 came with 3 x 15 round mags. Mine came with 2 x 10 round mags (1999 was in the dark decade for handguns).
We put 200 rounds through my friend's new gun: no failures. I didn't expect the Gen4 to be an improvement, but overall I liked it just a little better than the Gen3.

Acronym 1/16/2017 1:27 PM
"rlol" Nice job of thread necromancy, since I posted this one a year and a half ago! LOL

Shortly after posting the thread, I did buy a Gen4 G17, and then a Gen4 G43, and finally, a Gen4 G19 (my wife has the Gen3 version). My next pistol purchase will be a Gen4 G26.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

parabelum

Post by parabelum »

Gen 3 :anamatedbanana

About year later. "rlol"

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”