Pocket Carry

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
gmfitter
Posts in topic: 1

Pocket Carry

Post by gmfitter »

The manual that comes with an Uncle Mike's pocket holster suggests not carrying your semi auto. "cocked and locked"
in a pocket holster.

What do you think?

The Annoyed Man

Re: Pocket Carry

Post by The Annoyed Man »

I'd agree. I like 1911 pistols, but a cocked and locked 1911 has no business in a pocket. And FWIW, I have yet to see an Uncle Mike's product that I would use to carry a gun on my person. I recently purchased an Alabama Holsters kydex pocket holster which works with my XDS 3.3" just fine.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

WildBill
Posts in topic: 2

Post by WildBill »

The Annoyed Man wrote:I'd agree. I like 1911 pistols, but a cocked and locked 1911 has no business in a pocket. And FWIW, I have yet to see an Uncle Mike's product that I would use to carry a gun on my person. I recently purchased an Alabama Holsters kydex pocket holster which works with my XDS 3.3" just fine.
I just purchased an Uncle Mike's instructor belt and am pretty happy with it so far.

I have never seen an Uncle Mike's holster that I would use for carry.
NRA Endowment Member

RonW956

Post by RonW956 »

gmfitter wrote:The manual that comes with an Uncle Mike's pocket holster suggests not carrying your semi auto. "cocked and locked"
in a pocket holster.

What do you think?

Because they are not a firm retention holster thats why....

Furthermore, the uncle mikes rubber foam & velcro holsters IMO are not suitable for responsible concealed carry use...

Dan20703

Post by Dan20703 »

I bought an Uncle Mike's holster for my friend's son. He is 5 and carries his squirt gun in it! :lol:
There will always be prayer in schools as long as there are tests.

"It's all about shot placement."- David (Slayer of Goliath)

jmra

Post by jmra »

Dan20703 wrote:I bought an Uncle Mike's holster for my friend's son. He is 5 and carries his squirt gun in it! :lol:
:smilelol5:
Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

surferdaddy

Post by surferdaddy »

I think it really is more a firearm specific issue. My p938 is very similar to a 1911; even if it's relatively small thumb safety were to inadvertently be disengaged, the remaining trigger pull is around 8lbs...stiffer than most guns have which people have no problems pocket carrying with a round in the chamber. Many times small striker fired "pocket" guns are chambered with a fully or mostly fully sprung striker perched behind the primer, these guns are technically carried cocked and unlocked.

Surfer
CHL/LTC instructor
NRA basic pistol/home firearm safety instructor.

WildBill

Post by WildBill »

surferdaddy wrote:I think it really is more a firearm specific issue. My p938 is very similar to a 1911; even if it's relatively small thumb safety were to inadvertently be disengaged, the remaining trigger pull is around 8lbs...stiffer than most guns have which people have no problems pocket carrying with a round in the chamber. Many times small striker fired "pocket" guns are chambered with a fully or mostly fully sprung striker perched behind the primer, these guns are technically carried cocked and unlocked.

Surfer
gmfitter wrote:The manual that comes with an Uncle Mike's pocket holster suggests not carrying your semi auto. "cocked and locked"
in a pocket holster.

What do you think?
I have not looked into the configuration or construction of the Uncle Mike's pocket holsters so I can not say what I would do.

Maybe the small striker fired "pocket" guns are technically carried cocked and unlocked, but they are a different design and configuration than a 1911 type handgun.

I understand why they suggest not to carry a semi auto "cocked and locked".

Obviously you can disregard their suggestion and do as you like.
NRA Endowment Member

surferdaddy

Post by surferdaddy »

WildBill wrote:
surferdaddy wrote:I think it really is more a firearm specific issue. My p938 is very similar to a 1911; even if it's relatively small thumb safety were to inadvertently be disengaged, the remaining trigger pull is around 8lbs...stiffer than most guns have which people have no problems pocket carrying with a round in the chamber. Many times small striker fired "pocket" guns are chambered with a fully or mostly fully sprung striker perched behind the primer, these guns are technically carried cocked and unlocked.

Surfer
in a pocket holster.

What do you think?
I have not looked into the configuration or construction of the Uncle Mike's pocket holsters so I can not say what I would do.

Maybe the small striker fired "pocket" guns are technically carried cocked and unlocked, but they are a different design and configuration than a 1911 type handgun.

I understand why they suggest not to carry a semi auto "cocked and locked".

Obviously you can disregard their suggestion and do as you like.
Wild bill, I agree that people generally think of a conventional 1911 when they hear "cocked and locked" and I agree with the assessment that pocket carrying a handgun with a light trigger, as is often found on traditional 1911s, may not be the best idea.
CHL/LTC instructor
NRA basic pistol/home firearm safety instructor.

MadMonkey

Post by MadMonkey »

I'd say it depends on the gun. I use a Blackhawk pocket holster to carry my LCP, CM9 and G42 (different sizes obviously) and always carry with a round in the chamber with no worries. For a single action with a lighter trigger, I don't think I would even though it most likely wouldn't be a problem.
“Beware the fury of a patient man.” - John Dryden

rentz

Post by rentz »

if it was a kydex formed pocket holster that covered the safety well it likely wouldn't be a problem but i wouldn't be too comfortable doing it.

for pocket carry i have my trusty ole pm9 with a desantis holster.

wharvey

Post by wharvey »

Pocket holsters are a different beast than a belt holster. While the cheap nylon holsters are not suitable for daily defense carry they are OK in some situations. They work OK for carrying a hunting handgun and I never had any problems using an Uncle Mike's pocket holster for my 38 snubbie. I prefer one made by DeSantis but Uncle Mike's works fine for that purpose, with a wheelgun at any rate.
Bill Harvey

License to Carry Handgun - Indiana, since Aug 1997
CHL - Texas, since Aug 2011

Deltaboy

Post by Deltaboy »

I pocket carry using a Blackhawk or a Uncle Mike's pocket holster. 1968 Charter Undercover 38. :txflag:
I 'm just an Ole Sinner saved by Grace and Smith & Wesson.

bmwrdr

Post by bmwrdr »

I pocket carry a P938 cocked and locked in a Remora holster and I haven't had a problem in 2 years. On the P938 the safety lever is very firm and I haven't had a mishap so far.

I follow the rules below:
1. There is nothinge else in that pocket.
2. I put the loaded gun with the safety lever on in the holster before I put the holster with the gun in my pocket.
3. I do not "fiddle" with it while it is in my pocket.
4. I trust mechanics as long as I clean and inspect the gun by myself and on a regular base.

It is a personal preference and one's own decision and reponsibility how to carry.
I scarified political correctness to preserve honesty ︻╦̵̵͇̿̿̿̿══╤─

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”