Taurus pistols - $39 Million settlement

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

rotor
Posts in topic: 16

Re: Taurus pistols - $39 Million settlement

Post by rotor »

WinoVeritas wrote:
rotor wrote:......................................................
Human nature. When one expects one action to always occur and a different action occurs it puts an individual off guard. When off guard mistakes can happen. When a firearm does something not expected than mistakes can happen. It is not normal for a pistol to go into battery by inserting a loaded mag from the locked open position ( auto-forward) although it is reported in many handguns according to Google search. I am not concerned about slamfire as if that were a problem we would see it with normal slide closure. I am just concerned about the operator being taken off guard by an unplanned slide closure and not following normal safety routines if it happens. Almost always this happens with a slamming of the mag when in the process of doing other mind concentrating things. I like certainty when I deal with my firearms. That's the reason these Taurus handguns were recalled. They had the capability of discharging when dropped. I personally consider it a malfunction for your gun to go into battery like this.
You consider it a malfunction, I consider it an asset. Discussion for another thread.

Returning to battery when mag slapped in had nothing to do with Taurus recall nor had anything to do with gun firing when dropped. Bad design of safety mechanism did.
I was answering your question..."I would, though, like to hear an explanation of how a slide returning to battery in any matter is going to cause an ND, without the user having his finger on the trigger or defective pistol. Or how the forces are different between auto, slide release or sling shot return to battery. I can't see one iota of difference between the three nor does the recoil spring."

Perhaps it is due for another thread. I still consider this a malfunction. The gun was not designed to go into battery with a mag insertion.

K5GU
Posts in topic: 10

Post by K5GU »

rotor wrote:
WinoVeritas wrote:
Human nature. When one expects one action to always occur and a different action occurs it puts an individual off guard. When off guard mistakes can happen. When a firearm does something not expected than mistakes can happen. It is not normal for a pistol to go into battery by inserting a loaded mag from the locked open position ( auto-forward) although it is reported in many handguns according to Google search. I am not concerned about slamfire as if that were a problem we would see it with normal slide closure. I am just concerned about the operator being taken off guard by an unplanned slide closure and not following normal safety routines if it happens. Almost always this happens with a slamming of the mag when in the process of doing other mind concentrating things. I like certainty when I deal with my firearms. That's the reason these Taurus handguns were recalled. They had the capability of discharging when dropped. I personally consider it a malfunction for your gun to go into battery like this.
You consider it a malfunction, I consider it an asset. Discussion for another thread.

Returning to battery when mag slapped in had nothing to do with Taurus recall nor had anything to do with gun firing when dropped. Bad design of safety mechanism did.
I was answering your question..."I would, though, like to hear an explanation of how a slide returning to battery in any matter is going to cause an ND, without the user having his finger on the trigger or defective pistol. Or how the forces are different between auto, slide release or sling shot return to battery. I can't see one iota of difference between the three nor does the recoil spring."

Perhaps it is due for another thread. I still consider this a malfunction. The gun was not designed to go into battery with a mag insertion.
Forgive me for stepping in but I have an additional comment. When this happened at the range, my startled grandson (18 yrs old) came close to dropping the gun (not good, especially with this handgun!). This is probably because while holding the gun in your strong hand, your using your weak hand to put the mag in. The mag is inserted and bottom-slapped with your weak hand, and the slide bangs into battery BEFORE your weak hand is established in the grip support position, and if you're not anticipating this, your strong hand could lose it's grip.
Life is good.

rotor

Post by rotor »

K5GU wrote:
rotor wrote:
WinoVeritas wrote:

Forgive me for stepping in but I have an additional comment. When this happened at the range, my startled grandson (18 yrs old) came close to dropping the gun (not good, especially with this handgun!). This is probably because while holding the gun in your strong hand, your using your weak hand to put the mag in. The mag is inserted and bottom-slapped with your weak hand, and the slide bangs into battery BEFORE your weak hand is established in the grip support position, and if you're not anticipating this, your strong hand could lose it's grip.
This is why I consider it a safety issue. An unexpected action of a firearm.

K5GU
Posts in topic: 10

Post by K5GU »

K5GU wrote:
WinoVeritas wrote:Last I read it cost $550 to file a claim separation - kinda hard to justify on a $200 pistol - unless of course, you happened to have an AD/ND and injury resulted. I'll see if I can find a link to the final info.

Taurus can't say no to honoring the ruling. Well, I guess they can if they want to be held in contempt of court and waste more money and time or force another lawsuit.

Found link:

https://www.unitedstatescourts.org/federal/flsd/433456/

$505 to file appeal. Scroll to bottom of linked page for latest info.
Good link, thanks! I don't intend to 'appeal', just 'exclude' myself but I may have waited too long. I think the deadline for that was in May. I don't know if those deadlines were modified when the settlement went on 'hold' pending appeal. That's one of the questions I'll ask when / if Bailey & Glasser calls me. My other option might be to just wait until after the settlement completion. The way I understand this suit, if you don't 'enter' by filing a claim, you're not really a known member of the class.

Some recent info (this is not intended to be legal advice)...A Bailey & Glasser attorney called me Tuesday. The answer to my question, "Did the opt-out deadlines change because of the appeal. Answer: No, the deadline has passed, but, he said I still had the right to work with Taurus individually, notwithstanding the settlement. I also told him of my concern that for class members who's only firearm is one that is in the 'class' and can't afford to go buy another firearm for personal defense, that the long delays involved were putting us at risk. He said his team realizes that, and they have submitted a motion to expedite the process.
Edit:The reason for my "opt out" questions were because I was under the impression that to pursue individual action against Taurus to service my warranty, I must first "opt out" of the class action. Not true according to my conversation with the attorney.
Life is good.

surprise_i'm_armed
Posts in topic: 6
Location: Shady Shores, Denton County. On the shores of Lake Lewisville. John Wayne filmed here.

Post by surprise_i'm_armed »

The entity which is handling the claims is Heffler, whose phone number is 1-844-528-0180.

I called them today and the recording states that 3 parties have disputed the settlement, so it is not yet finished.

I was considering turning in my PT-111 for the $50 gift card at the Fort Worth PD gun buyback, but I will just hold onto it, in hopes of getting a new G2.

As soon as AndyC began this thread, 7.28.15!, I stopped carrying this potential time bomb and moved to other pistols.

SIA
N. Texas LTC's hold 3 breakfasts each month. All are 800 AM. OC is fine.
2nd Saturdays: Rudy's BBQ, N. Dallas Pkwy, N.bound, N. of Main St., Frisco.
3rd Saturdays: Golden Corral, 465 E. I-20, Collins St exit, Arlington.
4th Saturdays: Sunny St. Cafe, off I-20, Exit 415, Mikus Rd, Willow Park.

Soccerdad1995
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

Does anyone have the current link to send your gun in under this settlement? The period to elect a cash payout has expired, but per a discussion I just had with Taurus customer service, the extended service warranty / replacement option is still open. Unfortunately, she was unable to give me a link to a working website where I could get info on sending in my gun.

rotor

Post by rotor »

Soccerdad1995 wrote:Does anyone have the current link to send your gun in under this settlement? The period to elect a cash payout has expired, but per a discussion I just had with Taurus customer service, the extended service warranty / replacement option is still open. Unfortunately, she was unable to give me a link to a working website where I could get info on sending in my gun.
Try this
https://www.taurususa.com/repair-policy-use.cfm

Supposedly they will fix it but not give you cash anymore.

Grundy1133
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Grundy1133 »

surprise_i'm_armed wrote:The entity which is handling the claims is Heffler, whose phone number is 1-844-528-0180.

I called them today and the recording states that 3 parties have disputed the settlement, so it is not yet finished.

I was considering turning in my PT-111 for the $50 gift card at the Fort Worth PD gun buyback, but I will just hold onto it, in hopes of getting a new G2.

As soon as AndyC began this thread, 7.28.15!, I stopped carrying this potential time bomb and moved to other pistols.

SIA
Funny... i was just talking about how taurus guns are ticking time bombs. I was being argued with about how there are a LOT of gun recalls... however not ALL defects could be potentially deadly like this one..
NRA Member

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”