Taurus pistols - $39 Million settlement

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Deitz83
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Taurus pistols - $39 Million settlement

Post by Deitz83 »

Oh my! A friend of mine just purchased a PT-111 G2 last month. The gun doesn't even have a round through it yet. Now is understand the price point of $ 250.00.

WinoVeritas
Posts in topic: 17

Post by WinoVeritas »

I sent mine in long before they had a plan. I called to inquire about recall; they Emailed me a FedEx label and I sent them off.

Some have gotten around the problem of having to go to settlement site by saying they were having some problems with their (whatever recalled pistol) and they got a prepaid shipping label and returned. You get their standard 6 week turn (may or may not be met) on repairs and you will either get a replacement or a repaired in return. If repaired directly back to you; if replacement, to FFL.

The "Enhanced Warranty" will apply to any recalled model even if returned and repaired rather than replaced. This isn't much different than their Lifetime Warranty - EXCEPT they pay freight in/out - standard is you pay in, they pay out and it's their option to repair or replace.

CS reps have no idea what's happening or what decision have are going to be made apparently. You can always ask for a supervisor/management to call you back - they always have when I requested. You still may not like their answer.

Taurus followed thru on what they promised me - took a long time.

WinoVeritas

Post by WinoVeritas »

Deitz83 wrote:Oh my! A friend of mine just purchased a PT-111 G2 last month. The gun doesn't even have a round through it yet. Now is understand the price point of $ 250.00.
The G2 series are NOT under recall nor any part of this, other than possibly a replacement.

K5GU
Posts in topic: 10

Post by K5GU »

WinoVeritas wrote:I sent mine in long before they had a plan. I called to inquire about recall; they Emailed me a FedEx label and I sent them off.

Some have gotten around the problem of having to go to settlement site by saying they were having some problems with their (whatever recalled pistol) and they got a prepaid shipping label and returned. You get their standard 6 week turn (may or may not be met) on repairs and you will either get a replacement or a repaired in return. If repaired directly back to you; if replacement, to FFL.

The "Enhanced Warranty" will apply to any recalled model even if returned and repaired rather than replaced. This isn't much different than their Lifetime Warranty - EXCEPT they pay freight in/out - standard is you pay in, they pay out and it's their option to repair or replace.

CS reps have no idea what's happening or what decision have are going to be made apparently. You can always ask for a supervisor/management to call you back - they always have when I requested. You still may not like their answer.

Thanks for the info. I just talked to a paralegal in the Bailey & Glasser,LLP office. She is guessing those being repaired/replaced were in the pipeline before the suit went on hold pending an appeal. She is having one of the attorneys call me to discuss exclusion from the action if I want to file my own claims against Taurus.
Life is good.

K5GU

Post by K5GU »

K5GU wrote:
WinoVeritas wrote:I sent mine in long before they had a plan. I called to inquire about recall; they Emailed me a FedEx label and I sent them off.

Thanks for the info. I just talked to a paralegal in the Bailey & Glasser,LLP office. She is guessing those being repaired/replaced were in the pipeline before the suit went on hold pending an appeal. She is having one of the attorneys call me to discuss exclusion from the action if I want to file my own claims against Taurus. "Some have gotten around the problem of having to go to settlement site by saying they were having some problems with their (whatever recalled pistol) and they got a prepaid shipping label and returned". I asked Taurus if they would honor the warranty regardless of the problem and they said "No".
Life is good.

WinoVeritas

Post by WinoVeritas »

Last I read it cost $550 to file a claim separation - kinda hard to justify on a $200 pistol - unless of course, you happened to have an AD/ND and injury resulted. I'll see if I can find a link to the final info.

Taurus can't say no to honoring the ruling. Well, I guess they can if they want to be held in contempt of court and waste more money and time or force another lawsuit.

Found link:

https://www.unitedstatescourts.org/federal/flsd/433456/

$505 to file appeal. Scroll to bottom of linked page for latest info.

K5GU

Post by K5GU »

WinoVeritas wrote:Last I read it cost $550 to file a claim separation - kinda hard to justify on a $200 pistol - unless of course, you happened to have an AD/ND and injury resulted. I'll see if I can find a link to the final info.

Taurus can't say no to honoring the ruling. Well, I guess they can if they want to be held in contempt of court and waste more money and time or force another lawsuit.
Here's the defect I asked them about. Sometimes when the slide locks back after the last shot, and I put a new mag in, the slide will release when I tap the bottom of the new mag. It's a PT-111 9mm. I asked Taurus if i could send it in for that under the original warranty, that is when she said "No". Even though the defect has nothing to do with the class action to my knowledge. I think I understand their position on what they're calling the "Enhanced Warranty", which is part of the settlement, and doesn't go into effect until the appeals are done.
Life is good.

K5GU

Post by K5GU »

WinoVeritas wrote:Last I read it cost $550 to file a claim separation - kinda hard to justify on a $200 pistol - unless of course, you happened to have an AD/ND and injury resulted. I'll see if I can find a link to the final info.

Found link:

https://www.unitedstatescourts.org/federal/flsd/433456/

$505 to file appeal. Scroll to bottom of linked page for latest info.
Good link, thanks! I don't intend to 'appeal', just 'exclude' myself but I may have waited too long. I think the deadline for that was in May. I don't know if those deadlines were modified when the settlement went on 'hold' pending appeal. That's one of the questions I'll ask when / if Bailey & Glasser calls me. My other option might be to just wait until after the settlement completion. The way I understand this suit, if you don't 'enter' by filing a claim, you're not really a known member of the class.
Life is good.

WinoVeritas

Post by WinoVeritas »

K5GU wrote:..........................................................Here's the defect I asked them about. Sometimes when the slide locks back after the last shot, and I put a new mag in, the slide will release when I tap the bottom of the new mag. It's a PT-111 9mm. I asked Taurus if i could send it in for that under the original warranty, that is when she said "No". Even though the defect has nothing to do with the class action to my knowledge. I think I understand their position on what they're calling the "Enhanced Warranty", which is part of the settlement, and doesn't go into effect until the appeals are done.
I consider the slide returning to battery when I slap in a new mag to be an asset, not a defect (nor does Taurus or any that I know). I have several pistols that do that (not all Taurus) and some not. Saves me the trouble of wear on my thumb releasing slide lock. LOL I don't sling shot except on rare occasions.

Would be better to say you're not ejecting, not returning to battery, having multiple jambs or light strikes - something that WOULD be a defect / problem.

K5GU

Post by K5GU »

WinoVeritas wrote:
K5GU wrote:..........................................................Here's the defect I asked them about. Sometimes when the slide locks back after the last shot, and I put a new mag in, the slide will release when I tap the bottom of the new mag. It's a PT-111 9mm. I asked Taurus if i could send it in for that under the original warranty, that is when she said "No". Even though the defect has nothing to do with the class action to my knowledge. I think I understand their position on what they're calling the "Enhanced Warranty", which is part of the settlement, and doesn't go into effect until the appeals are done.
I consider the slide returning to battery when I slap in a new mag to be an asset, not a defect (nor does Taurus or any that I know). I have several pistols that do that (not all Taurus) and some not. Saves me the trouble of wear on my thumb releasing slide lock. LOL I don't sling shot except on rare occasions.

Would be better to say you're not ejecting, not returning to battery, having multiple jambs or light strikes - something that WOULD be a defect / problem.
Good tip. Thanks. I personally don't mind the instant slide into battery if I anticipate it. But it confused my grandson who I was coaching at the range. (He thought it was cool and said, "Why won't it do it every time, Papa?") ;-)
Life is good.

rotor
Posts in topic: 16

Post by rotor »

WinoVeritas wrote:

I personally think this is not a desirable feature. The purpose of a slide lock/release is to lock/release the slide. A google search shows that some firearms manual reveal this "may" happen if a magazine is slammed into the gun. Seems to me that a gun inadvertently going into battery is more likely to have a negligent discharge.

K5GU

Post by K5GU »

rotor wrote:
WinoVeritas wrote:

I personally think this is not a desirable feature. The purpose of a slide lock/release is to lock/release the slide. A google search shows that some firearms manual reveal this "may" happen if a magazine is slammed into the gun. Seems to me that a gun inadvertently going into battery is more likely to have a negligent discharge.
I feel comfortable using my PT-111 since I'm aware of what it does, however, I won't let my daughter or grandson use it any more. I will let them use my XD-40 since it has performed without a flaw so far. I speculate that the instant slide into battery would be more apt to cause a feed failure than a discharge.
Last edited by K5GU on Fri Sep 16, 2016 1:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Life is good.

WinoVeritas

Post by WinoVeritas »

rotor wrote:...............................................................I personally think this is not a desirable feature. The purpose of a slide lock/release is to lock/release the slide. A google search shows that some firearms manual reveal this "may" happen if a magazine is slammed into the gun. Seems to me that a gun inadvertently going into battery is more likely to have a negligent discharge.
We'll have to agree to disagree. I would, though, like to hear an explanation of how a slide returning to battery in any matter is going to cause an ND, without the user having his finger on the trigger or defective pistol. Or how the forces are different between auto, slide release or sling shot return to battery. I can't see one iota of difference between the three nor does the recoil spring.

rotor
Posts in topic: 16

Post by rotor »

WinoVeritas wrote:
rotor wrote:...............................................................I personally think this is not a desirable feature. The purpose of a slide lock/release is to lock/release the slide. A google search shows that some firearms manual reveal this "may" happen if a magazine is slammed into the gun. Seems to me that a gun inadvertently going into battery is more likely to have a negligent discharge.
We'll have to agree to disagree. I would, though, like to hear an explanation of how a slide returning to battery in any matter is going to cause an ND, without the user having his finger on the trigger or defective pistol. Or how the forces are different between auto, slide release or sling shot return to battery. I can't see one iota of difference between the three nor does the recoil spring.
Human nature. When one expects one action to always occur and a different action occurs it puts an individual off guard. When off guard mistakes can happen. When a firearm does something not expected than mistakes can happen. It is not normal for a pistol to go into battery by inserting a loaded mag from the locked open position ( auto-forward) although it is reported in many handguns according to Google search. I am not concerned about slamfire as if that were a problem we would see it with normal slide closure. I am just concerned about the operator being taken off guard by an unplanned slide closure and not following normal safety routines if it happens. Almost always this happens with a slamming of the mag when in the process of doing other mind concentrating things. I like certainty when I deal with my firearms. That's the reason these Taurus handguns were recalled. They had the capability of discharging when dropped. I personally consider it a malfunction for your gun to go into battery like this.

WinoVeritas

Post by WinoVeritas »

rotor wrote:......................................................
Human nature. When one expects one action to always occur and a different action occurs it puts an individual off guard. When off guard mistakes can happen. When a firearm does something not expected than mistakes can happen. It is not normal for a pistol to go into battery by inserting a loaded mag from the locked open position ( auto-forward) although it is reported in many handguns according to Google search. I am not concerned about slamfire as if that were a problem we would see it with normal slide closure. I am just concerned about the operator being taken off guard by an unplanned slide closure and not following normal safety routines if it happens. Almost always this happens with a slamming of the mag when in the process of doing other mind concentrating things. I like certainty when I deal with my firearms. That's the reason these Taurus handguns were recalled. They had the capability of discharging when dropped. I personally consider it a malfunction for your gun to go into battery like this.
You consider it a malfunction, I consider it an asset. Discussion for another thread.

Returning to battery when mag slapped in had nothing to do with Taurus recall nor had anything to do with gun firing when dropped. Bad design of safety mechanism did.

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”