Taurus pistols - $39 Million settlement

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

rotor
Posts in topic: 16

Re: Taurus pistols - $39 Million settlement

Post by rotor »

Got a call from Taurus the other day asking me about my FFL's paperwork. I told them that it had been sent to them by email some time back. They had no record. Gave them the name of the store and as he is a dealer they have his record. Never did get a written response from Taurus. Said to take 6 mos for a replacement, I will have to pay dealer FFL fee and then get an itemized receipt to get reimbursed. I can see that's good for another 6 months.
My recommendation is to take the $200, not mess around with getting a replacement in the far future and remember this brand next time you go shopping.

WinoVeritas
Posts in topic: 17

Post by WinoVeritas »

Checked status yesterday with Taurus CS via chat to be sure they got my FFL info email couple of weeks ago. They confirmed yes for all three Mil Pro pistols returned. Replacements expected in 4-6 months. or as available and in order of when your gun returned/received.

rotor

Post by rotor »

Got a call from my FFL that gun was in. Picked up a Taurus pt111 Millennium Pro G2 9mm new in box with all accessories. Appears to be a nice firearm, very Glock like but has a terrible trigger. Don't remember the trigger in returned model. It should be livable if firearm works well, this weekend will try it out. Good reviews on YouTube.
For reimbursement of FFL fee you will need an itemized receipt showing SO# and supposedly they will send a check. Fax the receipt to 305-624-1126.

rotor

Post by rotor »

FYI, check from Taurus came today and I like the replacement gun they sent, if I can load the magazines.

WinoVeritas

Post by WinoVeritas »

As posted earlier in this thread, returned three Mil Pro's Aug 4, 2015 (1-PT111SS & 1 ea. - PT140Blk & SS). Received call from FFL 2/16 that he had received one pistol for me. Said he had had it since 2/11, but Taurus placed no paperwork with shipment and he was unable to get thru on phone until 2/16 to determine who it belonged to. I picked up the replacement for the PT140 Blk. - a new PT140 Mil G2, which thankfully will use same magazine as the old Mil Pro so my spare mags don't go to waste. 6.5 months to get 1/3 of replacement filled.

I got home and immediately went on line to Taurus chat to check the status of the two remaining pistols (both w/SS slide) and was told they were still on backorder and no time frame. So more waiting.

Haven't been to range as yet, but so far impressed with the G2 as far as feel and ease of dis-assembly, albeit, I still prefer the take down pin. Fully loaded mags (with LuLa help) with SnapCaps and have left that way until I get to range.

Taurus is to reimburse for the FFL transfer fee I faxed copy of SO/SN of old and new along with copy of invoice from FFL along with my contact and shipping info. Taurus said this could be faxed to 305-624-1126 or 786-441-2108 to obtain refund of fee.

rotor

Post by rotor »

WinoVeritas wrote:As posted earlier in this thread, returned three Mil Pro's Aug 4, 2015 (1-PT111SS & 1 ea. - PT140Blk & SS). Received call from FFL 2/16 that he had received one pistol for me. Said he had had it since 2/11, but Taurus placed no paperwork with shipment and he was unable to get thru on phone until 2/16 to determine who it belonged to. I picked up the replacement for the PT140 Blk. - a new PT140 Mil G2, which thankfully will use same magazine as the old Mil Pro so my spare mags don't go to waste. 6.5 months to get 1/3 of replacement filled.

I got home and immediately went on line to Taurus chat to check the status of the two remaining pistols (both w/SS slide) and was told they were still on backorder and no time frame. So more waiting.

Haven't been to range as yet, but so far impressed with the G2 as far as feel and ease of dis-assembly, albeit, I still prefer the take down pin. Fully loaded mags (with LuLa help) with SnapCaps and have left that way until I get to range.

Taurus is to reimburse for the FFL transfer fee I faxed copy of SO/SN of old and new along with copy of invoice from FFL along with my contact and shipping info. Taurus said this could be faxed to 305-624-1126 or 786-441-2108 to obtain refund of fee.
I think they provided a very nice replacement and they eventually did follow through. You do need a Lula to load these mags. You will be happy with it. Shot everything I fed it without problem. Price wise this is one of the best deals if someone is looking for a new gun. Academy has extra mags at $26.99 price lowered.

WinoVeritas

Post by WinoVeritas »

Unfortunately the Academy good price is for 9mm not .40. In any case, I've got Mil Pro and PT24/7 Gen 1 mags running out my kazoo that will work in the G2 Mil. I was a bit surprised at the radical design difference in mag followers between Mil Pro & G2 PT140 (not sure it will be same for 9mm) - so much so that I had to cycle some SnapCaps thru to be sure the Mil Pro mags would feed in the Mil G2 - they did, thankfully. Range will be the real test.

GlassG19
Posts in topic: 1

Post by GlassG19 »

Weg wrote:Bummer, I kind of liked my PT140 as a truck/boat gun. This is the second time this has happened to me, first my XDS, and now my Taurus.

Bummer,, 2 different pistols. That's why I buy reliability, GLOCK'S.
"To be prepared for war is one of the most effective means of preserving peace"- George Washington

Soccerdad1995
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

Thanks to the OP for starting this thread.

I have a PT 24/7 in .45 cal that I bought back in 2009. It had FTF problems and I kept intending to send it to Taurus for repair, but procrastination got the best of me. I'll look into this recall with the intent of selling the replacement. Tempted to take the $200, but that feels low. I believe I paid close to $400 all-in at Academy (I stupidly bought this as a cheaper alternative to the G21 which I ended up getting anyway).

WinoVeritas

Post by WinoVeritas »

WinoVeritas wrote:Unfortunately the Academy good price is for 9mm not .40. In any case, I've got Mil Pro and PT24/7 Gen 1 mags running out my kazoo that will work in the G2 Mil. I was a bit surprised at the radical design difference in mag followers between Mil Pro & G2 PT140 (not sure it will be same for 9mm) - so much so that I had to cycle some SnapCaps thru to be sure the Mil Pro mags would feed in the Mil G2 - they did, thankfully. Range will be the real test.
Made it to range earlier this week. Ran thru couple mags of my JHP 180 gr. SD ammo and several of 180 gr. FMJ. Not one hiccup or problem. Also used one of my old PT140 MilPro mags and it worked flawlessly in Mil G2. Was impressed with the Mil G2. Good ergos.

WinoVeritas

Post by WinoVeritas »

Received my $20 check from Taurus today for FFL fee.

WinoVeritas

Post by WinoVeritas »

September busy month - quick recap - sent threee Mil Pro's back to Taurus under recall in Aug. 2015. Received a replacement PT140 G2 in Feb. Then early Sept. 2016 received my PT111 Mil Pro back, repaired rather than replaced (it will remain under the enhanced warranty) directly from Taurus. Was a bit surprised as no notification it was coming - FedEx lady had dog going crazy. Yesterday I received call from my FFL that he had a gun for me. It was a NIB PT140G2 SS replacement for my old Mil Pro.

So after 13 months I'm done with the Taurus recall for Mil Pro's - Two replaced; one repaired. I have three PT24/7 that fall under recall, but going to wait awhile to send any one back. They took their time, but lawsuit wasn't finalized until July 22, 2016, so guess that had something to do with delay.

Was surprised they were able to get court to agree to a repair for some of the recalls rather than replacement. Was fine with me cause the PT111 MIL Pro repaired and returned had a TEX serial number prefix and I had regretted returning it, so happy to have it back. Now need to get to range and shoot the crap out of them.

Wolfgang
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Wolfgang »

Haven't had a Taurus in ages. Had one of their revolvers...it was okay.
Had one of their 1911s. Wasn't made very well. Internals were wonky. The stirrup rubbed against the magazine, too. Yucky. That was many years ago...never bought another

K5GU
Posts in topic: 10

Post by K5GU »

I've tried to get Taurus Customer Service to tell me something other than, "..you can get information from the settlement website.." or "..fill out the Contact Us form..." I've done all that and also called the settlement folks on Aug. 29,2016, and they told me I must wait for the final approval date. They also told me Taurus was not servicing ANY firearm on the list.

Was wondering how some of you are getting Taurus to comply with this?
Life is good.

K5GU
Posts in topic: 10

Post by K5GU »

FYI. I just talked to the person at the settlement's phone no. 844-528-0180 and asked her why people are already getting their firearms back from Taurus replaced/repaired and she said, "I have no idea why that is happening...". I could get NO other information from her, other than she agreed that any litigation against Taurus would need to be filed against Taurus (with Florida AG) since they are the one's agreeing to the enhanced warranty/repair/replacement, etc, but I must exclude myself from the settlement action.

They also did not have an answer to as to why the warranty doc on their website says, "You can use the Enhanced Warranty settlement benefits at any time. No claim form is required and the Enhanced Warranty applies for the lifetime of the Class Pistol." https://www.tauruscartersettlement.com/ ... rranty.pdf
Life is good.

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”