Post by Rugerboy50 »

I'm in the market for a new gun safe.

I'm not looking to break the bank.

Recommendations will be appreciated.

C-dub
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Gun Safe

Post by C-dub »

There are many different sizes of banks. How about a general or rough price range yours is in?

<$1000
$1k-$2k
$2k-$5k
>$5k
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

Topic author
Rugerboy50
Posts in topic: 4

Post by Rugerboy50 »

would like to stay under $1200.00

Eric Lamberson
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Eric Lamberson »

I've done quite a bit of research on the topic and quickly discovered that most "gun safes" are not safes at all, but security containers.

A Residential Security Container (RSC) is essentially a large, sheet metal boxes with a lock. A RSC helps protect valuables from smash and grab burglaries where the thief wants to be in and out as quickly as possible and often won't have the time or skill to try to defeat the container. RSC locks are usually UL rated and offer good security; however, the weakness is the body of the unit. The metal thickness on the sides and doors is typically 10-12 gauge (although some are thinner). The door or walls may be thicker due to the addition of gypsum wallboard, concrete (in some cases), or similar materials designed to reduce (but not eliminate) heat or fire effects, but this material typically does little to stop a determined forced entry.

The Underwriter Laboratories (UL) RSC classification means that any specific RSC-labelled container will resist a forced entry attack using simple, non-powered, hand tools for up to five minutes (e.g. screwdrivers, hammers, and pry bars less than 18" long). UL-rated RSC's are not rated against any attack with power tools or an attack lasting longer than five minutes.

The minimum true safe rating from the Underwriter Laboratories is TL-15. The TL-15 rating addresses an attack using hand tools (sledge hammers, fire axes), picking tools, mechanical or electric tools, grinding point attacks, carbide drills, and devices that apply pressure. The TL-15 minimum door thickness is 1.5" plate steel plus an inner layer and the minimum wall thickness is 1" plate steel plus an inner layer. This obviously is considerably thicker than 10 gauge (.13”) or 12 gauge (.10”).

So it really boils down to what are you trying to protect your valuables from? Fire, skilled burglary, smash and grab? A true safe will typically start at $5,000 and go up from there. If you chose an RSC, get the thickest walls you can afford.
Massad Ayoob Group Staff Instructor, NRA Life Member, Pistol instructor, and RSO;
Texas LTC Instructor, IDPA 6-gun Master, Suarez International Affiliate

rmoraes

Post by rmoraes »

B"H
I'll soon (thank G-d, as I don't have any more space for my guns :)) be in the market for one. I got mine from Academy at good price (Cannon brand). Also I see at Sam's and Costco, and as pointed above, they are "RSC" or "Residential Security Containers" and not actual safes.
Rick KG5VKX
NRA Life Member - NRA Pistol Instructor
Glock and Sig Sauer Armorer

PBratton
Posts in topic: 5

Post by PBratton »

Tractor Supply have a quite large fire safe for $1K. Think it was a Cannon Wide Body 64 gun.

(Though we all know that a 64 gun safe will MIGHT hold 64 .22 auto rifles with no scope, right?

They also show an 80 super wide body for $1200.
http://www.GeeksFirearms.com NFA dealer.
$25 Transfers in the Sugar Land, Richmond/Rosenburg areas, every 25th transfer I process is free

Active Military, Veterans, Law Enforcement, Fire, EMS receive $15 transfers.

NRA Patron Member, NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, NRA Certified CRSO, Tx LTC Instructor

Keith B

Post by Keith B »

The best deal I have found was at Sam's Club. Stack-On 28-gun safe with 1400 degree 75 minute fire rating, as well as a 72 hour 2-foot of water waterproof rating. Has shelves you can put on either side, and a built-in pistol and mag hanging system on the door. And the best price of $499. However, they are running low on them now, so you may not be able to find one at your local club.

http://www.samsclub.com/sams/stack-on-2 ... tid=485699
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

10Shooter

Post by 10Shooter »

I recommend to ALWAYS buy bigger than you think you need!
Also fire ratings do matter, It kinda depends on where you you live, and type of fire department you have, paid vs volunteers, response times for you neighborhood etc.
NRA Certified Rifle, Pistol & Shotgun Instructor, NRA Certified RSO
NRA Life Member, TSRA Member

Jet Noise, the Sound of Freedom!!

tk1700

Post by tk1700 »

Don't remember details on size, price, etc but Tractor Supply has put several on sale for Black Friday. I remember seeing them in the flyer and when I was in the store on Black Friday several people were there to buy safes.

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

It is not true that RSCs offer no fire protection. I just traded in my smaller Liberty brand safe for a much larger one a few days ago. Both are UL Fire rated — the smaller one was rated to 1200° for 45 minutes, and th larger one is rated to 1200° for 90 minutes. The smaller one would limit internal temperature rise to 275°, and the larger one to 250°. Both are below the flash point of paper, so a plastic stock might soften/warp, but wood stocks and metal will be fine.

I bought the Liberty safe in 2007, for approximately $1.100. A local locksmith gave me $500 store credit against the purchase of a $1,900 safe. The new one weighs 850 lbs. it's not going anywhere.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Ed4032

Post by Ed4032 »

Be sure and get one bigger than you were thinking. They shrink.
Gun control is like stopping drunk driving by making it harder for sober people to drive.

NRA Life Member

gljjt

Post by gljjt »

The Annoyed Man wrote: The new one weighs 850 lbs. it's not going anywhere.
Bolt it down in a corner. A piano dolly and 2 guys can move that safe no problem. I moved mine with the help of my son. A pair of thieves can get it out the door in less than 5 minutes. Assuming it is downstairs.

Eric Lamberson

Post by Eric Lamberson »

My safe is approximately 1100 pounds. The movers placed it with a remarkably simple safe mover dolly that caused me to go "Hummmm--that was too easy." If bad guys come prepared, a residential security container that is not bolted down is trivial to move/remove or tip over.

The safe opened in the video at this link obviously did not meet the UL RSC rating--less than 2 minutes to pry open:

Massad Ayoob Group Staff Instructor, NRA Life Member, Pistol instructor, and RSO;
Texas LTC Instructor, IDPA 6-gun Master, Suarez International Affiliate

Charlies.Contingency

Post by Charlies.Contingency »

As mentioned above, I would like to comment about the weight of a safe. I own one of the dolly's as mentioned above, and I move my own safe's, freezers, and fridges. It's easy with the proper mechanical advantage, and all of my heavy gear in my house I put in myself with no help. It is all so important that you secure your safe/cabinet to something, or a well planned out robbery can result in your arsenal ending up on the streets.

The most important thing to me is keeping your guns out of the hands of children, and out of the hands of criminals. If they burn up, or get water logged, so be it. Just make sure you properly secure them with a good safe or cabinet if you can afford to do so, and if you budget allows, upgrade protection accordingly.
Sent from Iphone: Please IGNORE any grammatical or spelling errors.
ALL of my statements are to be considered opinionated and not factual.

Topic author
Rugerboy50
Posts in topic: 4

Post by Rugerboy50 »

My leading contender right now is the Liberty Fat Boy jr.

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”