Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
Countryside
Banned
Posts in topic: 14

Re: Considering Ruger SR1911 Night Watchman

Post by Countryside »

RPBrown wrote:Just a thought. Is this your first 1911? Is there ANY possibility you may be limp wristing it a bit? Some people that come from another type of gun, usually a revolver but not always, limp wrists a 1911 and that can cause what it seems you are describing.

Just a thought.
Countryside wrote:My first 1911 was a Llama Max-I (go ahead and laugh)...and that thing went bang every time...fed and fired all that I put in it.
Next gun was a plain-Jane Rock Island 1911...never missed a lick.
Had a couple of Springfields....no issues.
Then I thought I'd step up a bit...got me a Smith and Wesson 1911. Three trips back to S&W...still didn't work right. Sold it for a loss.
Got me a full size Rock Island 1911 and a compact as well. Both fed and fired without issue.
Got me both the blued and the stainless model of the Magnum Research DE1911C. The blued model functioned fine, the stainless took two trips back to the maker and one trip to my gunsmith before it started feeding the way it should.
Since then I sold the Rock Islands and the blued DE1911C for gun-funds to re-invest.
Then I got this Ruger SR1911...back to Ruger for repair...and I'll probably end up at my gunsmith with it.
Thus far in my years of shooting 1911s...it's been the so-called "low end" ones......Rock Island....that have been the best shooting ones. My Springfield 1911s did well, too.
Magnum Research and Ruger are new to the 1911 market...maybe that has something to do with it....I don't know.

Right2Carry
Banned
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Right2Carry »

Countryside wrote:
RPBrown wrote:Just a thought. Is this your first 1911? Is there ANY possibility you may be limp wristing it a bit? Some people that come from another type of gun, usually a revolver but not always, limp wrists a 1911 and that can cause what it seems you are describing.

Just a thought.
Countryside wrote:My first 1911 was a Llama Max-I (go ahead and laugh)...and that thing went bang every time...fed and fired all that I put in it.
Next gun was a plain-Jane Rock Island 1911...never missed a lick.
Had a couple of Springfields....no issues.
Then I thought I'd step up a bit...got me a Smith and Wesson 1911. Three trips back to S&W...still didn't work right. Sold it for a loss.
Got me a full size Rock Island 1911 and a compact as well. Both fed and fired without issue.
Got me both the blued and the stainless model of the Magnum Research DE1911C. The blued model functioned fine, the stainless took two trips back to the maker and one trip to my gunsmith before it started feeding the way it should.
Since then I sold the Rock Islands and the blued DE1911C for gun-funds to re-invest.
Then I got this Ruger SR1911...back to Ruger for repair...and I'll probably end up at my gunsmith with it.
Thus far in my years of shooting 1911s...it's been the so-called "low end" ones......Rock Island....that have been the best shooting ones. My Springfield 1911s did well, too.
Magnum Research and Ruger are new to the 1911 market...maybe that has something to do with it....I don't know.
I have a Ruger 1911 Commander and have had zero issues with the Ruger and have fed it multiple types of ammo. If you are unhappy with your Ruger and it is Commander size I would be interested if you decide to sell it.
“Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But, an American Soldier doesn't have that problem". — President Ronald Reagan, 1985

Topic author
Countryside
Banned

Post by Countryside »

Thanks for the offer. I really like the way the gun looks and feels, and it is accurate when it shoots. I'm probably going to keep after it until I have it reliable. They said it was the extractor, so we'll see. I have read from others that Ruger will often do other things in a repair to assure reliability even if they don't mention they did it.

Topic author
Countryside
Banned

Post by Countryside »

Got her back Monday, shot it on Tuesday.

Things went much better...not perfect...but much better.
Out of 60rds of Remington 230gr FMJ, I had only 4 FTF....and I did notice a slight pattern.
Two of the FTFs were with 8rd mags...the very last round in each mag. The other two FTFs were with 10rd mags...one was last round in mag and other was the next to last round in the mag.
Some of my 8 rounds mags are older, and the 10rd magazines are older. Ruger specs also say this platform is intended for 7rd mags.
So, for the last few rounds I transferred rounds from an 8rd mag to the Ruger 7rd magazine. No issues.
Ruger did perform a repair on the extractor, and now I suspect that this gun may have a preference for 7rd magazines, and some of the magazines I used are older.
I have ordered 4 new Tripp magazines, two 7rd and two 8rd. I'm going to see how they work in it.

Abraham
Posts in topic: 6

Post by Abraham »

"Out of 60rds of Remington 230gr FMJ, I had only 4 FTF"

To each his own, but if this is how my EDC performed, or perhaps I should say didn't perform, it wouldn't be a pistol I'd bet my life on.

VMI77

Post by VMI77 »

Countryside wrote:I am seriously pondering a Ruger SR1911 Nightwatchman...the commander size.

I am leaning toward this one because I would really like to have a commander size that breaks down like a standard full size 1911 without having to use paper clips or some other tool. I have another commander size and while I enjoy the gun breaking it down is rather a pain. There are other brands that will, but this one is more in my price range.
The gun gets rather good reviews. Anyone here have any experience with one of these? I'd appreciate your input.
Just curious...I have a Colt Commander and I've never used a paper clip or tool to break it down. I assume you're not talking about a Colt....what with some other brands requires a tool?
"Journalism, n. A job for people who flunked out of STEM courses, enjoy making up stories, and have no detectable integrity or morals."

From the WeaponsMan blog, weaponsman.com

VMI77

Post by VMI77 »

nyj wrote:People still blame limp wristing on a gun not working?

Can you expand on that? I've shot alongside someone experiencing a jam due to FTE every few rounds and shot the same gun with the same ammo without a single hiccup. Give the gun back....it jams every few rounds. Shoot it again, it cycles flawlessly. So clearly, something that person was doing was causing the gun not to work properly. If that's not limp wristing what would you call it?
"Journalism, n. A job for people who flunked out of STEM courses, enjoy making up stories, and have no detectable integrity or morals."

From the WeaponsMan blog, weaponsman.com

Taypo
Banned
Posts in topic: 4

Post by Taypo »

VMI77 wrote:
Countryside wrote:I am seriously pondering a Ruger SR1911 Nightwatchman...the commander size.

I am leaning toward this one because I would really like to have a commander size that breaks down like a standard full size 1911 without having to use paper clips or some other tool. I have another commander size and while I enjoy the gun breaking it down is rather a pain. There are other brands that will, but this one is more in my price range.
The gun gets rather good reviews. Anyone here have any experience with one of these? I'd appreciate your input.
Just curious...I have a Colt Commander and I've never used a paper clip or tool to break it down. I assume you're not talking about a Colt....what with some other brands requires a tool?
Some of the 3" 1911's have a captured recoil spring/guide rod assembly that requires a takedown tool to compress it prior to breakdown. My little Kimbers, for example.

Taypo
Banned
Posts in topic: 4

Post by Taypo »

Abraham wrote:"Out of 60rds of Remington 230gr FMJ, I had only 4 FTF"

To each his own, but if this is how my EDC performed, or perhaps I should say didn't perform, it wouldn't be a pistol I'd bet my life on.
:iagree:

This is one of the quirks of the 1911 platform, for better or worse. Every one that I've ever owned has a preference for loads, mags and lube level.

I've got two identical 3" models that have wildly different personalities. One wants Wilson Combat 7 rounders loaded with Barnes and running almost dry. The other doesn't care about mags or rounds, as long as its almost soaking wet.

I'd bet the OP is smart enough to know that it's not EDC worthy at this point and is going through all this to make it more reliable. It's what nearly every 1911 guy I know goes through with every new gun - minus the RMA to Ruger.

Topic author
Countryside
Banned

Post by Countryside »

One of the things that attracted me to this Ruger was the good reviews and the fact that you didn't need a clip and an hour of prayer before breaking it down for cleaning. It breaks down like a standard 1911. The 1911s without a bushing (bull barrels) don't break down the regular way.
Ohhh I know it ain't EDC ready at all.
At this point I will probably take it to my gun smith and have him smooth and tweak. He's very reasonable on cost and does a good job.

EastTexasRancher
Posts in topic: 1

Post by EastTexasRancher »

I bought a full size SR1911 just after Christmas. It went from Bass Pro (thanks BP for price matching) straight to Teddy Jacobsen. Two weeks later I had it back and in tip-top shape.

You have handsome pistol there, I hope your issues ironed themselves out!

patterson
Posts in topic: 1

Post by patterson »

I use Ballstol on my stainless Ruger SR1911

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”