Have You Changed Out Your Glock Guide Rod?

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
Abraham
Posts in topic: 2

Have You Changed Out Your Glock Guide Rod?

Post by Abraham »

I thought people did this for cosmetic reasons only.

Now, according to some Youtube videos, there's a whole host of reasons to so, from better accuracy to easier slide working.

Another video said metal guide rods can ruin a Glock.

Anyone here have experience with changing out the original plastic guide rod to Stainless or Tungsten?

If so, and if you found an improvement over the original, please clue me in on the details.

Plus, is one brand better than another?

Thanks!

rmoraes
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Have You Changed Out Your Glock Guide Rod?

Post by rmoraes »

B"H
I changed my G19 rod for a ss and shot over 500rds and no problemo. Considering a Sprinco recoil system for my G23. :smash:
Rick KG5VKX
NRA Life Member - NRA Pistol Instructor
Glock and Sig Sauer Armorer

Charlies.Contingency
Posts in topic: 7

Post by Charlies.Contingency »

My glock 22 .40cal? Let me ask... Nope, 22 years and still the same one, it was complaining about it's room-mates though, my springfield .45 is apparently picking on everybody in the safe. :smilelol5:

Never had a problem, nor have I heard of any. Some armorers I know suggest replacing the springs every few years, but I've never heard anything about the guide rod itself.
Sent from Iphone: Please IGNORE any grammatical or spelling errors.
ALL of my statements are to be considered opinionated and not factual.

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

Nope. No problems with the original after at least a few thousand rounds in both a 21SF and 30SF. I previously had a 22 and 27 and put a few thousand rounds through those on the original guide rods without any issues either.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

Greybeard

Post by Greybeard »

Nephew is a pastor at a small church in West Texas. A member had sold him an old (Gen 2) Glock 17 for $250. Nephew had no clue how to clean it, so I was showing him the drill over Christmas with family in Brownwood. Plastic guide rod was brittle enough that it broke during the first attempt to put it back in.
CHL Instructor since 1995
http://www.dentoncountysports.com "A Private Palace for Pistol Proficiency"

TexasCajun
Posts in topic: 4

Post by TexasCajun »

Mine is still original - G17 gen3 with about 4k rounds through it in roughly 3 years. Haven't had any problems with it so far. FYI, Glock is now selling parts online in their e-store. And their prices are comparable or better than some of the other sellers.
Opinions expressed are subject to change without notice.
NRA TSRA TFC CHL: 9/22/12, PSC Member: 10/2012

carlson1
Posts in topic: 3

Post by carlson1 »

I used to change every Glock to a Tungsten guide rod. I never seen any difference other it made my wallet lighter.

I believe that is the Tungsten or Stainless was better Glock would have used them. It appears the plastic works for decades. :thumbs2:

Charlies.Contingency
Posts in topic: 7

Post by Charlies.Contingency »

carlson1 wrote:I used to change every Glock to a Tungsten guide rod. I never seen any difference other it made my wallet lighter.

I believe that is the Tungsten or Stainless was better Glock would have used them. It appears the plastic works for decades. :thumbs2:
I would say so. Mine has lasted over two decades, working on three. It has been a duty gun, as well as my EDC up intil about two months ago when it was retired to BUG status thanks to my new Springfield Armory .45!
Sent from Iphone: Please IGNORE any grammatical or spelling errors.
ALL of my statements are to be considered opinionated and not factual.

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

Have two Glocks - G19 and G17 - and I was not aware that guide rods were a "Glock issue". Both have low round counts.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

TexasCajun

Post by TexasCajun »

The Annoyed Man wrote:Have two Glocks - G19 and G17 - and I was not aware that guide rods were a "Glock issue". Both have low round counts.
I don't think that there is an actual issue. More of a preference by some. Now that the Glock online store sells parts, I'll probably get a couple of extra guide rods & springs as back up for quick repairs if necessary.

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

TexasCajun wrote:
The Annoyed Man wrote:Have two Glocks - G19 and G17 - and I was not aware that guide rods were a "Glock issue". Both have low round counts.
I don't think that there is an actual issue. More of a preference by some. Now that the Glock online store sells parts, I'll probably get a couple of extra guide rods & springs as back up for quick repairs if necessary.
Would it be fair to say that, IF a Glock part will fail, it will most likely be the guide rod, or are there other replacement parts I should also be concerned about having on hand?
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

TexasCajun

Post by TexasCajun »

The Annoyed Man wrote:
TexasCajun wrote:
Would it be fair to say that, IF a Glock part will fail, it will most likely be the guide rod, or are there other replacement parts I should also be concerned about having on hand?
I"m not sure about specific failure points. I'm not very mechanically inclined, so I go with the easy fixes approach when looking at keeping spare parts on-hand.

Topic author
Abraham
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Abraham »

Thanks all for your input.

One video I watched insisted that metallic guide rods reduce felt recoil and would allow faster follow up shots, and greater accuracy, but I had doubts, thus this thread.

At this point, metal guide rods being superior to Glock stock rods sounds like great marketing, with little to no real benefit to the consumer.

TexasCrow

Post by TexasCrow »

yes I swapped mine on my 27 with a tungston guide rod. it's much heavier and could tell a difference on recoil. not as much muzzle flip.

ghostrider

Post by ghostrider »

yes.
I prefer stainless steel guide rods.
will probably replace the plastic one in the SR40C as well.
NRA Member
Amateur Radio Operator

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”