First Squib

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
Dart106A
Posts in topic: 1

First Squib

Post by Dart106A »

Been shooting since I was a Cub Scout in the early 70s, and never had a squib load until today. Just out firing up some .380 Winchester PDX1 I've had since 2011 in my PPK/S-1. Had about 12 rounds left from the box, so out with the old I guess.

Well, fired four rounds into the target, then on #5 I heard a "click", but no "bang." Dropped the magazine, pulled the slide back, and saw an empty case, and A LOT of unburned powder! Must have been all those malfunction drills over the years, but I was instantly sure of what happened.

Those buggers are a pain to get out of the barrel; let me tell you! (I put some CLP in both ends, and let it sit for a couple hours before I punched it out.)

Bottom line is I am glad it happened on the range, and I actually stopped using PDX1 as my primary carry round some time ago.
Attachments
IMAG0172_1.jpg

Jumping Frog
Posts in topic: 1

Re: First Squib

Post by Jumping Frog »

Glad you weren't rapid firing and sent a second round into the first stuck bullet!

That is why I keep about a 10" length of hardwood dowel in my range bag. "Just in case".
-Just call me Bob . . . Texas Firearms Coalition, NRA Life member, TSRA Life member, and OFCC Patron member

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ

Abraham
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Abraham »

Jumping Frog,

You posted: That is why I keep about a 10" length of hardwood dowel in my range bag. "Just in case".

Great Idea and one I'll start utilizing.

Um, when you say hardwood dowel, I can't say I would know how to identify a "hardwood" dowel vs. what's on the shelf at Home Depot or Lowes.

Any advice on how to make certain I get the right one?

Thanks!

Mike S

Post by Mike S »

Abraham wrote:......Um, when you say hardwood dowel, I can't say I would know how to identify a "hardwood" dowel vs. what's on the shelf at Home Depot or Lowes.
Abraham,
You can find hardwood dowels at both Home Depot & Lowes. Look for ones labelled 'hardwood' on the tag, or 'Oak wooden dowel'. They'll feel a bit more hefty when you compare them to the pine ones. Lots of the wooden dowels you'll find there are hardwood, as compared to the ones at a craft store like Michael's.

Abraham

Post by Abraham »

Mike S,

Thank you sir, I had no idea they're labeled.

Your information is much appreciated.

Mike S

Post by Mike S »

Abraham wrote:Mike S,

Thank you sir, I had no idea they're labeled.

Your information is much appreciated.
No worries at all, Sir. That's what this forum is for!

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”