Retention Holsters for Concealed or Open Carry

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

4copas
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Retention Holsters for Concealed or Open Carry

Post by 4copas »

CleverNickname wrote:
4copas wrote:Any suggestions for Kahr PM45? I'm having a hard time finding them. Looking for something similar to the Safarilands that are listed on the links list.
Why would you OC a subcompact firearm? If you're not trying to conceal a firearm, then there's no advantage to a smaller gun.
I really don't plan on being a full open carry person. Cover garment and such. Plus around the the property. Looking into something good outside the waist, that's all. :tiphat:
Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday. John Wayne
NRA Life Member :patriot: :txflag:

Right2Carry
Banned
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Right2Carry »

timtheteacher wrote:My wife is going to scream but I just ordered that Galco Fletch Hi Ride for my SR1911. I hope I get home on Tuesday before she does or I am going to see this :totap:
I have been looking at that one myself while waiting on my order. Let me know what you think.
“Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But, an American Soldier doesn't have that problem". — President Ronald Reagan, 1985

Ruark

Post by Ruark »

I can vouch for the Safariland 578 Pro Fit. Very nice paddle/belt holster. I wear it as a paddle with a nylon gun belt. Extremely comfortable. The retention is secure, and the middle finger release is effortless. Virtually weightless. Has a "hook" so it can't be yanked off of you. Holds the gun smack against your body, although of course this can vary depending on how you're built. Cabela's has them for, I think, $58.
-Ruark

Topic author
Excaliber
Posts in topic: 11

Post by Excaliber »

Gun Tests Magazine reviewed 5 retention holsters in the current month's issue. They were:

Blackhawk Gripbreak
DeSantis Facilitator
Galco M4X and M6x
Hogue ARS Stage One Carry

To make a long story short, only the Galco M6X (belt loop version) earned an A grade from the test team. The details of the reviews make excellent reading.

Reviews of 7 more retention holsters are coming next month.

For those considering open carry, these two sets of reviews alone would more than justify the cost of a subscription by helping you avoid purchasing holsters that won't do the job properly and end up in your holster box collection.
Excaliber

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." - Jeff Cooper
I am not a lawyer. Nothing in any of my posts should be construed as legal or professional advice.

TexasJohnBoy
Banned

Post by TexasJohnBoy »

I've got the Safariland 578 Profit, I'm happy with it so far.
TSRA Member since 5/30/15; NRA Member since 10/31/14

RHenriksen
Posts in topic: 5

Post by RHenriksen »

Excaliber wrote:For those considering open carry, these two sets of reviews alone would more than justify the cost of a subscription by helping you avoid purchasing holsters that won't do the job properly and end up in your holster box collection.
Does a subscription include online access to their issues, or just the dead tree versions? I checked their website but that wasn't clear.
I'll quit carrying a gun when they make murder and armed robbery illegal

Houston Technology Consulting
soup-to-nuts IT infrastructure design, deployment, and support for SMBs

RHenriksen
Posts in topic: 5

Post by RHenriksen »

Excaliber wrote:Gun Tests Magazine reviewed 5 retention holsters in the current month's issue. They were:

Blackhawk Gripbreak
DeSantis Facilitator
Galco M4X and M6x

To make a long story short, only the Galco M6X (belt loop version) earned an A grade from the test team. The details of the reviews make excellent reading.
https://www.galcogunleather.com/m6x-aut ... _1198.html

Galco only lists the compact version of the M&P for this holster; does anyone know if the full sized version would also work w. it?
I'll quit carrying a gun when they make murder and armed robbery illegal

Houston Technology Consulting
soup-to-nuts IT infrastructure design, deployment, and support for SMBs

CoffeeNut

Post by CoffeeNut »

I wanted a nice leather holster option for my 1911. I know that the thumb-break isn't the best that you can get in terms of keeping your gun in your holster but as rare as full OC will be for me in public I am confident in my choices.

Bianchi 56 Serpent holster
El Paso Saddlery Tanker holster
Galco dual magazine holder

EDC: Sig Sauer P320SC / P238

Topic author
Excaliber
Posts in topic: 11

Post by Excaliber »

RHenriksen wrote:
Excaliber wrote:Gun Tests Magazine reviewed 5 retention holsters in the current month's issue. They were:

Blackhawk Gripbreak
DeSantis Facilitator
Galco M4X and M6x

https://www.galcogunleather.com/m6x-aut ... _1198.html

Galco only lists the compact version of the M&P for this holster; does anyone know if the full sized version would also work w. it?
It looks like it has an open muzzle design. If that's the case and you wouldn't mind having about an inch of the slide showing below the holster, it may work.

I'd suggest giving the Galco folks a call to be sure.
Excaliber

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." - Jeff Cooper
I am not a lawyer. Nothing in any of my posts should be construed as legal or professional advice.

IsraelisJewish

Post by IsraelisJewish »

This is a great thread n thanks for all the info here. I like most of what I see and am trying to keep it under $50 bucks. I have a Bersa .380 cc.
David (IsraelisJewish)
SunnyWalker.net

MadMonkey

Post by MadMonkey »

My second Safariland 6360 finally arrived this morning, this one for my VP9 w/TLR1S. Looking forward to using it... also have G-Code RTI hardware coming in so I can just pop it off of my belt if I'm going into a restricted area.
“Beware the fury of a patient man.” - John Dryden

AJSully421

Post by AJSully421 »

MadMonkey wrote:My second Safariland 6360 finally arrived this morning, this one for my VP9 w/TLR1S. Looking forward to using it... also have G-Code RTI hardware coming in so I can just pop it off of my belt if I'm going into a restricted area.

Good move. I have been OCing in a 7360, and would not have it any other way.
"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant, it's just that they know so much that isn't so." - Ronald Reagan, 1964

30.06 signs only make criminals and terrorists safer.

NRA, LTC, School Safety, Armed Security, & Body Guard Instructor

Rvrrat14

Post by Rvrrat14 »

Safarilands 6378 ALS paddle is my number 1 choice for G19. Fobus paddle for my PPK/S and G20.

The ALS system has a retention bar/release on the top where your thumb would be when grasping the pistol. Easy to push, natural movement.

A paddle is most comfortable. The Safariland has a 'catch' on it whereby when you place the holster over your waistband (belt or no belt) the catch is pointed in reverse where it makes it difficult to take off the holster without knowing how. This catch will either hook on your belt or grab your clothes. It takes two hands to remove it.
Last edited by Rvrrat14 on Fri Jan 08, 2016 9:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

magillapd

Post by magillapd »

I bought the 5.11 Thumb drive holster. I don't plan on ever open carrying....but if I do, I want a retention holster. Of course, I practice drawing from it weekly because in the event I do open carry...I want the muscle memory there to get the gun out.
“I know you think you understand what you thought I said but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant”
NRA- Life member :patriot:
TSRA - Conditional Life Member :txflag:

mr1337

Post by mr1337 »

With the Desantis holster - it looks like it has similar problems as a Serpa holster. Your trigger finger is what disengages the retention.

I don't know about you, but for me, my trigger finger has one job, and one job only: to stay away from the trigger until I'm ready to fire. Serpas are known for negligent discharges because people shooting under duress don't disengage the retention with the correct form, thus pulling their trigger finger into the trigger guard and pulling the trigger.

Don't have one yet, but when I do get a retention holster for open carry, it will likely be a Safariland ALS or GLS to prevent that sort of thing from happening.
Keep calm and carry.

Licensing (n.) - When government takes away your right to do something and sells it back to you.

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”