Gunsmith recomendation

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
dws1117
Posts in topic: 5

Gunsmith recomendation

Post by dws1117 »

Looking for someone in the Houston area who can competently fit a thumb safety on a 1911. Prefer someone who won't charge an arm and a leg and won't take 6 months. I'll try to fit most parts, but not comfortable fitting a safety.

JLaw
Posts in topic: 1

Post by JLaw »

dws1117 --

The 'smith at the new Gander Mountain there in Spring says he builds up 1911's any way you want them. He might be up to the task. However he's never worked on any of mine so I'm not sure of his true ability. Not even sure what he charges.

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

Ed Vanden Berg of Vanden Berg Custom has done all of my pistolsmith work for 15 years or so. His prices are very reasonable for a custom 'smith. He won't take 6 months, but you won't have it back in a week or two either. Ed's very good and, reasonable on his prices, so he stays very busy.

Here's a link: http://www.vandenbergcustom.com/

He's on Old Galveston Road (Hwy. 3) across from Ellington Field. This is not far from my area in Friendswood, so I can give you some tips about finding it, if you decide to use Ed.

Regards,
Chas.

stevie_d_64

Post by stevie_d_64 »

Charles L. Cotton wrote:Ed Vanden Berg of Vanden Berg Custom has done all of my pistolsmith work for 15 years or so. His prices are very reasonable for a custom 'smith. He won't take 6 months, but you won't have it back in a week or two either. Ed's very good and, reasonable on his prices, so he stays very busy.

Here's a link: http://www.vandenbergcustom.com/

He's on Old Galveston Road (Hwy. 3) across from Ellington Field. This is not far from my area in Friendswood, so I can give you some tips about finding it, if you decide to use Ed.

Regards,
Chas.
Is Ed the guy that works out of that business park there???

Behind the Bikers Passion store, in that complex???

I have a rifle that needs some cosmetic fixes to the barrel (some rusting, gasp!) I guess I could clean that up myself, and I may do that, I am just not sure how to get into that "pitting" well enough to stop the corrosion...
"Perseverance and Preparedness triumph over Procrastination and Paranoia every time.” -- Steve
NRA - Life Member
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"
Μολών λαβέ!

Topic author
dws1117

Post by dws1117 »

Thanks, Charles. I sent him an e-mail and wil try to call tomorrow.

Stevie, I have a friend who does finish work. He does a terrific job. He does teflon (Gun Kote) and perkerizing. Click the link below to see a picture of his work. I know it is only one pic.

http://webpages.charter.net/leko/My%20Guns/guns0002.JPG

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

Steve:
Vanden Berg is in a business park, but I can't recall what's up front. Martha thinks you're correct about Biker's Passion being in the front. I'm not sure if Ed's doing refinishing, so you really should call him before making the trip. (I know, the trip from League City is a short one!)

Regards,
Chas.

stevie_d_64

Post by stevie_d_64 »

I'll give him a holler...

The rifle is a BAR "Sportster" 30.06...

It was my gransfathers before it came to my safekeeping...I've fired it just a few times, and it has been religated to a position way back in the gunsafe...Of which, has a de-humidifier that I thought would keep stuff like that from happening...

Very confused...

I think the damage is superficial, and with a little elbow grease, I may be able to remove and correct for the oxidation...And I don;t think there is much pitting on the barrel to begin with...

If anything I'll take a crack at it this week, and see if I can improve the situation...

Anybody have any recomendations on some products to remove the corrosion, and clean this puppy up??? And any products to lightly coat the rifle (and possibly other firearms I have in there) to protect it???
"Perseverance and Preparedness triumph over Procrastination and Paranoia every time.” -- Steve
NRA - Life Member
Μολών λαβέ!

stevie_d_64

Post by stevie_d_64 »

Thats a sharp looking Springfield there!
NRA - Life Member
Μολών λαβέ!

DMG

Post by DMG »

You might also try Herman Mueschke in the Heights. I have a Springfield Champion that he has done several thing for (never anything twice!) and he has always been VERY quick and VERY inexpensive. For instance, I needed a new barrel and he cut one down from a Colt Gold Cup for less than a new barrel would cost, and the turn around was three days! Not a very impressive place to walk into, but he does good work reasonably. His telephone number is 713.869.7073, his address is 403 E. 10th Street, and he is open only from 1:30 p.m. to 5:00 p.m.

Topic author
dws1117

Post by dws1117 »

Thats a sharp looking Springfield there!
Thanks. My friend did the finish work when he was first learning the ropes. I let him use my gun for a learning project. The only blemishes do not show on camera and they are not a result of the workmanship but instead a result of me being clumbsy.

His work has gotten much better since he has obtained better equipment is not working out of his apartment with his oven but in a real gun shop.

BTW he also makes a golf ball launcher for an AR! It's a really neat little toy. Even Tiger can't hit a golf ball 600 yards. :lol:

If your interested I will give you contact information.

Topic author
dws1117

Post by dws1117 »

Charles,

Thanks for the information about Mr. Vandenberg. I've corresponded with him. He was quick with a very reply and his prices and turn around time are very reasonable. I an trying to set up a time to meet with him to discuss the safety, trigger job and some additional work that I'd like done to the gun.

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

dws1117 wrote:Charles,

Thanks for the information about Mr. Vandenberg. I've corresponded with him. He was quick with a very reply and his prices and turn around time are very reasonable. I an trying to set up a time to meet with him to discuss the safety, trigger job and some additional work that I'd like done to the gun.
You're quite welcome. I think you'll find Ed's work is excellent and he really works hard to make sure you get exactly what you want.

Regards,
Chas.

Paladin

Post by Paladin »

I let Ed Vandenberg put a new barrel on my AR after the sunset last year and he did great work at a reasonable price.
JOIN NRA TODAY!, NRA Benefactor Life, TSRA Defender Life, Gun Owners of America Life, SAF, FPC, VCDL Member
LTC/SSC Instructor, NRA Certified Instructor, CRSO
The last hope of human liberty in this world rests on us. -Thomas Jefferson

Topic author
dws1117

Post by dws1117 »

Well, I went by Ed Vandenberg's shop tonight and left my gun with him. He is going to fit an extended safety, install a new hammer and sear and, do a trigger job. His prices are very reasonable! His time frame is also better than expected. He gave an estimated completion date of about 30 days, that is amazing when you consider some [abbreviated profanity deleted] the bigger "name" smiths judge turn around times in months and some cases years.

Thanks again for the help.

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”