Private party bill of sale - non LTC

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
mdubtx
Posts in topic: 6

Private party bill of sale - non LTC

Post by mdubtx »

I have decided to sell to a non CHL private party. I have the bill of sale from Gun Trader.

Do we need to exchange full addresses and drivers license numbers?

Okay just to record names and that I looked at their ID?

Thanks
May we never haver to draw but always be prepared.
:patriot: :txflag:
NRA Benefactor Member / TSRA Family Membership

Topic author
mdubtx

Re: Private party bill of sale - non LTC

Post by mdubtx »

I know (think I know) I could sell it without a bill of sale in Texas. I like the idea of having something though since they are not LTC. At least this has them saying they meet the same qualifications as the transfer form.

Solaris
Banned
Posts in topic: 4

Post by Solaris »

mdubtx wrote:I have decided to sell to a non CHL private party. I have the bill of sale from Gun Trader.

Do we need to exchange full addresses and drivers license numbers?

Okay just to record names and that I looked at their ID?

Thanks
No Bill of Sale required in Texas, so to answer your question, you do NOT need to exchange full addresses and drivers license numbers or even record names.

mrvmax
Posts in topic: 2

Post by mrvmax »

Definitely not required but it may make you feel better using it.

MikeyJ
Posts in topic: 1

Post by MikeyJ »

There's also the ATF Private Transfer form that you could use as another option.

http://www.defensivestrategies.org/down ... erForm.pdf

rotor
Posts in topic: 7

Post by rotor »

Legally you don't have to fill out this info but what is a good reason to not do it? What if the gun has been used in a crime? I have bought many guns using the downloaded Bill of Sale and personally won't buy from anyone without all of the bill of sale filled out. Maybe 10 years from now you will need it. Not legally required but I consider it CYA.

mayor

Post by mayor »

A bill of sale protects both seller and buyer. The seller can show the bill if (heaven forbid) something bad happens and the seller can't claim the gun was stolen. I like to think I can trust people, but you never know.

Solaris
Banned

Post by Solaris »

rotor wrote:Legally you don't have to fill out this info but what is a good reason to not do it? What if the gun has been used in a crime? I have bought many guns using the downloaded Bill of Sale and personally won't buy from anyone without all of the bill of sale filled out. Maybe 10 years from now you will need it. Not legally required but I consider it CYA.
There is no good reason to do it. I sold a gun to a person who turned out to be a criminal, looking back I am so glad he did not have my personal info, he would have broken into my home and robbed me for sure. Exchanging personal data with a complete stranger is a bad idea always IMO. Folks can do what they want, I will never give my DL info to a stranger.

WildBill

Post by WildBill »

The OP didn't say if he knew the person or not.
That would make a difference to me.
NRA Endowment Member

rotor
Posts in topic: 7

Post by rotor »

Solaris wrote:
rotor wrote:Legally you don't have to fill out this info but what is a good reason to not do it? What if the gun has been used in a crime? I have bought many guns using the downloaded Bill of Sale and personally won't buy from anyone without all of the bill of sale filled out. Maybe 10 years from now you will need it. Not legally required but I consider it CYA.
There is no good reason to do it. I sold a gun to a person who turned out to be a criminal, looking back I am so glad he did not have my personal info, he would have broken into my home and robbed me for sure. Exchanging personal data with a complete stranger is a bad idea always IMO. Folks can do what they want, I will never give my DL info to a stranger.
Did you sell your gun to someone not legally allowed to buy it? How many criminals will show you their drivers license and fill out a bill of sale? The law doesn't require a bill of sale and I guess as a seller you don't have to provide your info but I wouldn't buy anything from you unless I knew you and had at least your DL info. I trust nobody. I am sure that when you sold the firearm you didn't know you were selling to a criminal but perhaps the "I trust nobody" should be part of your scenario also.

mrvmax
Posts in topic: 2

Post by mrvmax »

What is a good reason not to do it? Because pro 2a guys who complain about the governments unnecessary gun regulation feel the need to make up their own rules when they sell personal firearms.

Topic author
mdubtx

Post by mdubtx »

WildBill wrote:The OP didn't say if he knew the person or not.
That would make a difference to me.

Don't know them.

Topic author
mdubtx

Post by mdubtx »

Solaris wrote:
You nailed my primary reason for not wanting to share personal information such as my address. What if...

Topic author
mdubtx

Post by mdubtx »

I have not had any red flags raised by our conversations. I started my post wanting to make sure I was not negating the purpose of the bill of sale. But, then realized I was overthinking the matter since there is no bill of sale required. I don't see anything wrong with asking him to sign something stating that he meets the conditions of a transfer form without getting his personal info. I wouldn't ask for his and refuse to give my own. And, see no reason to give him mine.

Solaris
Banned

Post by Solaris »

rotor wrote:
Solaris wrote:
Did you sell your gun to someone not legally allowed to buy it?
He was legally allowed, but had a side business as a burglar.

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”