Trophy?
62%

Total votes: 13

Topic author
C-dub
Posts in topic: 15

Holster for Gold Cup Trophy

Post by C-dub »

I'm curious what ya'll think between these two guns. The ability to enter matches will not be a concern. This would be my first 1911. I started off liking that SA model that Chris Kyle carried and that there is now an auction over a special edition available that only about 1,000 will be made. That thing is hard to find if they don't go in the blink of an eye. Anyway, last time I was out to Cabela's for some ammo I spotted one of these models and then did a little research and like them both. Other than a few cosmetic details, they seem like the same gun.

What do ya'll think?
Last edited by C-dub on Fri Jun 03, 2016 9:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

warnmar10
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Colt Gold Cup National Match or Trophy?

Post by warnmar10 »

I bought the Trophy mostly because I like shiny stuff but I struggled with the decision too. The correct answer may be get one of each.

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

AndyC wrote::cheers2:

I don't generally like silver slides myself, but I'm partial to beavertails so this would be a tough choice for me also if I had to pick only one.
Ditto for me...the beavertail makes the difference. I have a kind of fleshy hand, and when I take a proper high grip on a traditional setup, I tend to get hammer bite. For that reason, give me the beavertail, and the "commander-style" hammer (or whatever it's called). Plus, if the SS shininess bothers you, you can always have it cerakoted in the color of your choice.

I am currently down to two 1911s, both 5" variants. One is my dad's old WW2 sidearm which is in as-issued condition except for the addition of a polymer recoil buffer on the guide rod....and a little honest wear (it's in about 95% condition). The other is a Brazilian-manufactured Springfield Armory Loaded model with a few upgrades. Both are a joy to shoot, but I very rarely ever carry the Springfield for weight reasons anymore - having sold out to the Glock side.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Jketchum

Post by Jketchum »

AndyC wrote::cheers2:

I don't generally like silver slides myself, but I'm partial to beavertails so this would be a tough choice for me also if I had to pick only one.
Beavertail = Happiness

joe817

Post by joe817 »

I'm a traditionalist, and have not overly large hands, so I'll stick with what I know. The traditional 1911 configuration...the National Match. But I sure wouldn't turn down the chance to get my hands on a Trophy for the right price. ;-)
Diplomacy is the Art of Letting Someone Have Your Way
TSRA
Colt Gov't Model .380

cbunt1

Post by cbunt1 »

The Trophy is a more practical gun, frankly. But the National Match is the 1911 I fell head-over-heels for at about 12 years old, and is the one I carried and shot in my youth (raised in the country, snakes, critters, etc...we weren't allowed to go out in the woods without a sidearm or a shotgun--what a different world today).

Pure nostalgia is the reason I picked the National Match for the poll. Neither is a wrong choice, and both would be an ideal option IMO.
American by birth, Texan by the grace of God!

Beiruty

Post by Beiruty »

Gold Cup. I have one like new fabricated in 1971 or so. A keeper.
The other Gold Cup was sold.
Beiruty,
United we stand, dispersed we falter
2014: NRA Endowment lifetime member

Topic author
C-dub

Post by C-dub »

Beiruty wrote:Gold Cup. I have one like new fabricated in 1971 or so. A keeper.
The other Gold Cup was sold.
They are both Gold Cups.

That beaver tail on the Trophy is sounding like a good idea. My hands aren't overly large, but I have been working on a higher grip the last year or so and that extra little protection would help.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

Topic author
C-dub

Post by C-dub »

cbunt1 wrote:The Trophy is a more practical gun, frankly. But the National Match is the 1911 I fell head-over-heels for at about 12 years old, and is the one I carried and shot in my youth (raised in the country, snakes, critters, etc...we weren't allowed to go out in the woods without a sidearm or a shotgun--what a different world today).

Pure nostalgia is the reason I picked the National Match for the poll. Neither is a wrong choice, and both would be an ideal option IMO.
This is the reason that I think I'll eventually end up with just about any 1911 from the WWII era. It would also be a nice complement to a few rifles I have from that time period.

ghostrider

Post by ghostrider »

I'm curious what ya'll think between these two guns.
I pick "D." all the above. :-)

If it was for carry in the heat of Texas, I'd get the stainless, otherwise I'd get the blue one & install a proper beavertail grip safety (Ed Brown).
NRA Member
Amateur Radio Operator

Topic author
C-dub

Holster for Gold Cup Trophy

Post by C-dub »

I got the Trophy.

Five years ago I bought my first .45 in the form of a Glock 21SF. The first time I took it to the range with the Glock 22 that I'd had for about 10 years I shot better with the 21SF out of the box. I still shoot well with the 21SF, probably even better than that first day.

First day at the range with the Trophy and it shamed the Glock. I'm sad and happy all at the same time. My daughter said she could see them going through the same holes. After ten rounds at 10 yards it looked like only 3-4 holes all touching each other.

I hadn't figured I would shoot this gun in a match because I didn't want to put it in a holster and risk marring it up. However, now I'm curious. I keep checking to see if Safariland has a 7TS for it yet, but they don't. Heck, since it's my first 1911, I might even get my first leather holster just for it.

Are there any holsters out there for a beauty like this that won't mar it up too much? I'm also looking for some nicer grips. I don't like the wrap around rubber ones it came with. I tried the gun show in Lewisville a couple weeks ago and it was terrible. I'll hit the Big Town show in a couple more weeks. I hope there's a better selection there.

TexasFlash
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Holster for Gold Cup Trophy

Post by TexasFlash »

Hogue has a BIG selection of grips; various styles and materials.. I like their stuff.
Let us all know what you end up with.Hogue
Dave :txflag:

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”