Katrina - - - she's bad!

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
MoJo
Posts in topic: 1

Katrina - - - she's bad!

Post by MoJo »

I went to the range today to run a few rounds through the AR. I got on I-10 in Beaumont to cross the Neches River, the traffic coming from the East was almost bumper to bumper. Westbound traffic was almost non existent. I hope everyone who evacuates returns to find all their belongings they left behind intact.
"To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."
George Mason
Texas and Louisiana CHL Instructor, NRA Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection and Refuse To Be A Victim Instructor

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

We need to remember these folks in our prayers. New Orleans is below sea level surrounded by a dyke system, so a major hit will be a disaster.

Regards,
Chas.

anygunanywhere

Post by anygunanywhere »

I am supposed to hook up the fifth wheel tomorrow and head on over to Baton Rouge. I will probably wait till Tuesday.
"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." Mike Vanderboegh

"The Smallest Minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." – Ayn Rand

Rich

Post by Rich »

This one's going to be bad. As Charles has stated, we need to remember these folks in our prayers.

Rich

Warhorse545

Post by Warhorse545 »

It is going to be bad. And I hear there has all ready been looting. What mother nature aint taking the crooks are going to get. Man I hate that and I can see why some people do not want to leave. It is a dang shame. Best of luck to all those that are effected by this.

Stacey
TSRA Life Member

stevie_d_64
Posts in topic: 2

Post by stevie_d_64 »

I remember how they designed the "Superdome" to be rated for 200mph winds...

That to me is an incredible design to withstand that kind of pressure...

All those people having to "sit and sleep" for days in those chairs...echhh...

I heard this morning they lost power to the facility...That place is going to get ripe real quick...But they'll live...Thats the good thing...

The other good thing is they "finally" got those folks in after all the body searches and security screenings...

I think I remember somebody saying they were keying up on folks who were coming in intoxicated...

Got to get those flasks of whiskey confiscated...

Well...Enough of my blithering...I hope everyone makes it through this ok...
"Perseverance and Preparedness triumph over Procrastination and Paranoia every time.” -- Steve
NRA - Life Member
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"
Μολών λαβέ!

dolanp

Post by dolanp »

Yeah the Superdome's roof is leaking now too. Poor folks. I would have high-tailed out of there personally.
Springfield XD 9mm Service

stevie_d_64
Posts in topic: 2

Post by stevie_d_64 »

dolanp wrote:Yeah the Superdome's roof is leaking now too. Poor folks. I would have high-tailed out of there personally.
I just saw a report the part of the roof ripped off...Large enough to cause some shifting from under the open portions of the roof...

I work for a small structural engineering firm, and we are working some hypothisis about what may explain "how" certain elements of the structure failed to take the forces of this windstorm...

Its an interesting day for folks like us...

I'm working a basic model using wind forces at 145-150mph on a structure designed like that...

If anything, regardless if it had fully protect those folks in there...It wouldn't be fun, listening to all the stresses playing on the structure...

I imagine it be like being inside a "bass drum", strapped to the top of a car going down the road at speed...

Glad I'm in Houston today...
"Perseverance and Preparedness triumph over Procrastination and Paranoia every time.” -- Steve
NRA - Life Member
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"
Μολών λαβέ!

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”