ihg, holiday inn question

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Soccerdad1995
Posts in topic: 1

Re: ihg, holiday inn question

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

MrAl wrote:I just visited Houston from East Tx and found the following;
1) after reserving at Candlewood on Town and Country, I found they has posted the 30.06 notice at their door. I immediately cancelled my reservation and found a HI Express with no such notice.
2) the next day I stayed at a HI Express in Kingwood. Too late I discovered they also had the 30.06 notice. I complied but I will NEVER stay there again. I'll so state in my review.
3) When I tried to express my opinion of the Candlewood location, I learned I could not make a comment because I didn't actually stay there. Of COURSE I didn't !?!
Please folks, opine with your wallet - REFUSE to stay where you're not welcome, and complain to the management (since you can't complain online apparently).
Texas is generally gun-friendly, and most businesses don't impose their own restrictions. While it is their right to do so, we have the rights of free consumers. Winning the constitutional battles is for naught if we allow businesses to undermine our rights without objection or consequence.
You can post a review on Trip Advisor without having actually stayed at that hotel. In fact a number of the hotel reviews there note that the person had some issue with the booking process and chose not to actually stay there.

MrAl
Posts in topic: 2

Post by MrAl »

I just spent an hour trying to book a HIE in Bryan or College Station or Houston. out of about 20 choices, ALL showed a total prohibition notice in their online confirmation. Looks like IHG is going anti-gun on a wide scale. I just booked a Hilton property (Hampton) with no problem. Time to switch loyalties. 35000 points down the drain; I will NOT give IHG the business.

TresHuevos

Post by TresHuevos »

MrAl wrote:I just spent an hour trying to book a HIE in Bryan or College Station or Houston. out of about 20 choices, ALL showed a total prohibition notice in their online confirmation. Looks like IHG is going anti-gun on a wide scale. I just booked a Hilton property (Hampton) with no problem. Time to switch loyalties. 35000 points down the drain; I will NOT give IHG the business.
Loyalty membership programs usually have their own dedicated numbers to call. I would recommend that you call them and tell them why they will no longer have your business.
"Since it is so likely that children will meet cruel enemies let them at least have heard of brave knights and heroic deeds." - C.S. Lewis
My State Rep Joe Moody is a liberal puke who won't even acknowledge my communications with him. How about yours?

doncb

Post by doncb »

To me, a generic we don't allow guns in a reservation confirmation doesn't constitute "effective notice". It's a generic nationwide statement made to cover their butts. I stay in a HIE on business in Wichita Falls and if they post a 30.06 sign I'll lock my gun in my car and go in and cancel my reservation and let them know why. Followed by a letter to their corporate office.
If you're standing still, you're loosing.

Abraham
Posts in topic: 4

Post by Abraham »

If I rent an apartment or a house does the landlord have the right to restrict my self defense with a firearm?

If the answer is no, how is renting a room different?

Caliber
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Caliber »

Abraham wrote:If I rent an apartment or a house does the landlord have the right to restrict my self defense with a firearm?

If the answer is no, how is renting a room different?
I think it's different. The hotel room is not your "home". You are allowed (by law) to have a firearm in your "home". In addition, I do not believe you have control of the hotel room as you would if you rented a house or apartment.

Abraham

Post by Abraham »

Caliber,

What you've said makes sense, but I'd like to see the legal chapter and verse (if you will) stating so.

I don't have the google - navigation skills to find it...or not...

Caliber

Post by Caliber »

OK, let's take a look:

Sec. 46.02. UNLAWFUL CARRYING WEAPONS. (a) A person commits an offense if the person intentionally, knowingly, or recklessly carries on or about his or her person a handgun, illegal knife, or club if the person is not:

(1) on the person's own premises or premises under the person's control; or

(2) inside of or directly en route to a motor vehicle or watercraft that is owned by the person or under the person's control.

(a-1) A person commits an offense if the person intentionally, knowingly, or recklessly carries on or about his or her person a handgun in a motor vehicle or watercraft that is owned by the person or under the person's control at any time in which:

(1) the handgun is in plain view, unless the person is licensed to carry a handgun under Subchapter H, Chapter 411, Government Code, and the handgun is carried in a shoulder or belt holster; or

(2) the person is:

(A) engaged in criminal activity, other than a Class C misdemeanor that is a violation of a law or ordinance regulating traffic or boating;

(B) prohibited by law from possessing a firearm; or

(C) a member of a criminal street gang, as defined by Section 71.01.

(a-2) For purposes of this section, "premises" includes real property and a recreational vehicle that is being used as living quarters, regardless of whether that use is temporary or permanent. In this subsection, "recreational vehicle" means a motor vehicle primarily designed as temporary living quarters or a vehicle that contains temporary living quarters and is designed to be towed by a motor vehicle. The term includes a travel trailer, camping trailer, truck camper, motor home, and horse trailer with living quarters.

So, if you rent a hotel room, does the occupant of the room have the degree of control to restrict access of others onto the property or even their room to the degree of an illegal trespass? No, I don't think so. That's one example of the hotel room occupant not having "control".

If you rent an apartment, does the occupant have control? Yes, probably. Real estate rights and obligations are typically passed to the tenant. The Landlord typically can't even enter the apartment without advance notice.

However, I do acknowledge that the word "control" is not actually defined.

JerryK
Posts in topic: 6

Post by JerryK »

How about this one
Hotels CHAPTER 2155. HOTELS AND BOARDINGHOUSES
Sec. 2155.102. APPLICABILITY OF SUBCHAPTER. This subchapter applies only to a hotel that has a policy prohibiting or restricting the possession, storage, or transportation of firearms by hotel guests. Added by Acts 2013, 83rd Leg., R.S., Ch. 237 (H.B. 333), Sec. 1, eff. September 1, 2013.
Sec. 2155.103. NOTICE REGARDING FIREARMS POLICY. (a) A hotel shall include on the hotel's Internet reservation website the hotel's policy regarding the possession, storage, and transportation of firearms.
(b) If a hotel provides a written confirmation or a written statement of terms and conditions to a consumer after accepting the consumer's hotel reservation by telephone, the hotel shall include information specifying how the consumer may review applicable guest policies. The guest policies must indicate the hotel's policy regarding the possession, storage, and transportation of firearms by guests.
(c) A hotel owner or keeper commits an offense if the person does not comply with this section. An offense under this subsection is a misdemeanor punishable by a fine of not more than $100. Added by Acts 2013, 83rd Leg., R.S., Ch. 237 (H.B. 333), Sec. 1, eff. September 1, 2013.

Abraham

Post by Abraham »

Caliber,

Thanks for the posting.

Much appreciated.

For the sake of argument in general: Addressing if one lives in an apartment complex and reading, "So, if you rent a hotel room, does the occupant of the room have the degree of control to restrict access of others onto the property or even their room to the degree of an illegal trespass?"

Insert the word "apartment" in place of "hotel room" - how does the "apartment" occupant have the degree of control to restrict access of others onto the property?

I've lived in a apartment complex's and I had no way to restrict access therefore...

Not arguing with you, just puzzled about the words like "control" when it comes to renting an apartment vs renting a hotel room, i.e., how do they really differ?

I hope I'm clear as I've posted this in haste and have zero time to refine it a bit.

Thanks!

aero10

Post by aero10 »

MrAl wrote:I just spent an hour trying to book a HIE in Bryan or College Station or Houston. out of about 20 choices, ALL showed a total prohibition notice in their online confirmation. Looks like IHG is going anti-gun on a wide scale. I just booked a Hilton property (Hampton) with no problem. Time to switch loyalties. 35000 points down the drain; I will NOT give IHG the business.
I've seen the notices on their website before for the hotels in College Station, but I've never seen 30.06/30.07 signs at any of them. All (or almost all) IHG properties are independently owned and operated, corporate IHG has no rules on guns and state so on their website. It's possible all IHG properties in Bryan/College Station are owned by the same company.

Caliber

Post by Caliber »

Abraham wrote:Caliber,

Thanks for the posting.

Much appreciated.

For the sake of argument in general: Addressing if one lives in an apartment complex and reading, "So, if you rent a hotel room, does the occupant of the room have the degree of control to restrict access of others onto the property or even their room to the degree of an illegal trespass?"

Insert the word "apartment" in place of "hotel room" - how does the "apartment" occupant have the degree of control to restrict access of others onto the property?

I've lived in a apartment complex's and I had no way to restrict access therefore...

Not arguing with you, just puzzled about the words like "control" when it comes to renting an apartment vs renting a hotel room, i.e., how do they really differ?

I hope I'm clear as I've posted this in haste and have zero time to refine it a bit.

Thanks!
Compare your apartment lease to the hotel's room agreement. They are not similar at all. Your apartment lease transfers real estate rights and obligations while the hotel agreement does not. You can restrict access to your specific apartment.

Abraham

Post by Abraham »

Caliber,

Continuing to be a bit disputatious, (in a friendly manner) I contend that when one lives in an apartment complex, especially the sprawling kind, (some are so large they remind of military posts) one can't stop anyone from wandering onto apartment property, thus one is at risk as renting a hotel room - apartment leases vs. hotel agreements notwithstanding. Common sense rules. Strangers wandering onto apartment property looking for criminal access/mischief/burglary are no different than a renting a hotel room risks...

Agreeing to being disarmed while living in an apartment isn't something I'd do anymore than renting a hotel room as both are equally risky - in my opinion of course.

The legal technicalities of room agreements vs. apartment leases regarding self defense may have the force of law (or not...) but if I have to temporarily lodge somewhere I'd be looking for something like Airnb type lodging where self defense is allowed.

For the record, I own my own home, but in years past I lived in a sprawling apartment complex and strangers coming onto apartment property was a constant fact of life.

JerryK
Posts in topic: 6

Post by JerryK »

I thought this thread was about posted Hotels???

troglodyte

Post by troglodyte »

aero10 wrote:
I've seen the notices on their website before for the hotels in College Station, but I've never seen 30.06/30.07 signs at any of them. All (or almost all) IHG properties are independently owned and operated, corporate IHG has no rules on guns and state so on their website. It's possible all IHG properties in Bryan/College Station are owned by the same company.
We were in Stephenville last night and we're going to get a room at the HIE. We were met by two large 30.06/30.07 signs as we walked in. I immediately stated we were going to stay at La Quinta next door and politely let the night clerk know why. She apologetically understood.

I can't find anything on the IHG website concerning anything about Firearms. Do you have a link?

I sent the Stephenville management an email. They promptly replied and said they were complying with the franchise policy. I have asked for a contact name and address.

To be continued...
Talon Firearms Training
Instructor - License To Carry, School Safety, First Responder: Texas DPS, Certified Instructor: Rangemasters/Tom Givens
NRA Instructor - Basic Pistol, Personal Protection in the Home, Personal Protection Outside the Home, Range Safety Officer
Stop The Bleed Instructor

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”