Hmm, Remington Once Called it a "Clip"

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

1wise1
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Hmm, Remington Once Called it a "Clip"

Post by 1wise1 »

Maybe stems from all those old WWII guys who remember a magazine is the building where the ammunition was stored. A clip is what they were trained to shove into their rifle. Their "gun" was another entirely different thing...
:hurry:
Certified Glock Armorer
Combine ignorance, arrogance and low altitude, and the result is guaranteed to be spectacular.

Liberty

Post by Liberty »

Although I don't refer to the ammo box as a clip, I never understood the importance of not calling a a mag as a clip. It is as silly as the drill sergeant going nuts because some one called an M16 a gun. As long as the meaning is clear who cares. (Or in the words of our ex secretary of state) "What difference does it make?"
Liberty''s Blog
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." John F. Kennedy

mojo84
Posts in topic: 3

Post by mojo84 »

The distinction has between the two terms hasn't always been such a big issue. Many use it to show their superior knowledge to someone they deem less educated and informed. I consider it akin to someone who calls all soft drinks Coke instead of soda or non-brand hook and loop tape Velcro.

I also did some research lately and realized the term "indexing" used to be just keep your finger off the trigger until ready to shoot. Now some feel superior to others when they can correct them or use the term indexing.

I feel the same when it comes to the negligent discharge vs accidental discharge. The distinction just isn't that important to me other than to learn that most accidental discharges are due to negligence and could have been avoided. Nonetheless, it was an accident.

I'm not pointing fingers at anyone as I have been guilty of the above on many occasions in the past but have lightened up on it lately considering all the other more grave things with which we are dealing.
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

Bitter Clinger
Banned

Post by Bitter Clinger »

What frosts me is when public officials use the word "tragedy" to describe what is is clearly an "atrocity"! :mad5
"You may all go to H3ll, and I will go to Texas." - Davy Crockett
"Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything." - Wyatt Earp
NRA Life Member
לעולם לא תשכח

MechAg94

Post by MechAg94 »

I see too many gun owners who say clip. I don't see the point of trying to piss them off by jumping on them over the issue.

Abraham

Post by Abraham »

Nomenclature is sacrosanct isn't it..?

Calling a magazine a clip, why I never....oooooh, oooooh, I feel the vapors coming on....arrrgggghhhh!

mojo84
Posts in topic: 3

Post by mojo84 »

koine2002 wrote:Yeah. I've been looking into getting an SKS. I wanted to search for stripper clip availability before getting my heart set on finding an SKS. The search dropdown brought up "SKS 100 round clip", "SKS 30 round clip,", etc. Without adding "stripper" to clip it just brought up a bunch of magazines and conversion kits (so it'll accept a removable magazine). A lot of people use "clip."
My son would be interested in a conversion kit for an SKS. He has some Tapco or something similar but they are a real pain to insert. Would like to see if there is way to make it easier to change the mags. Can you share a link with me?
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

LucasMcCain

Post by LucasMcCain »

Yeah, the duck billed mags are kind of a pain. There are conversions you can do to make it take AK mags, but I don't have a link on it. However, you should forward this to him.

http://sgworks.com/

I don't have one, but they look pretty awesome. A lot cheaper than a Tavor.
I prefer dangerous freedom to safety in chains.

Let's go Brandon.

joe817

Post by joe817 »

Liberty wrote:Although I don't refer to the ammo box as a clip, I never understood the importance of not calling a a mag as a clip. It is as silly as the drill sergeant going nuts because some one called an M16 a gun. As long as the meaning is clear who cares. (Or in the words of our ex secretary of state) "What difference does it make?"
:iagree: In today's age of political correctness, it seems mandatory by many gun enthusiasts to use the correct nomenclature. To me, both clip and magazine refer to a device to hold multiple rounds. Who cares what it's called? I don't. The idea comes across very clear to me. :yawn
Diplomacy is the Art of Letting Someone Have Your Way
TSRA
Colt Gov't Model .380

oohrah

Post by oohrah »

In WWI, the rifle was the M1, which in fact used clips, not magazines. The brief switchover to the M14 brought about the term magazine, but only for rifles. In VN, we still called pistol bullet holders "clips".
USMC, Retired
Treating one variety of person as better or worse than others by accident of birth is morally indefensible.

goose
Posts in topic: 2

Post by goose »

I will confess, 99% of the time, I very much dislike folks that get all bent out of shape for exact wording vs a well communicated idea. And then when I hear clip used when magazine might be more accurate (today) it is like fingers on a chalk board. I don't understand why this one difference grates me. And I have been actively working to make it not grate me. The shortcoming, IMO, is with me not the person using the word clip.

Detail conversation with a 'smitty and I would still likely hold them to magazine over clip before giving them my firearm to work on. Outside of that, communicate the idea and lets move on.
NRA Endowment - NRA RSO - Μολὼν λάβε

TxRVer

Post by TxRVer »

It wasn't too many years ago that I used the two terms interchangeably. These days, I differentiate mainly because "gun expert" liberal politicians will tell you that a 30 caliber magazine clip shoots 30 bullets in half a second.
Charlie

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”